Travel Thread

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:02 pm

Going to Hawk Mountain next week for some hiking, and hopefully hawk spotting. I haven’t hiked in an area with bears in 25+ years. Worth buying and bringing bear spray?
That place looks cool, it's now on my list. Definitely doesn't hurt to have bear spray.

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:44 am

Fabulous week at Emerald Isle so far. A little more crowded than it's been in the past, presumably due to people getting the extra day off for the 4th.

Never wanted to shell out for oceanfront before a couple of years ago but once you've sat out drinking most the night by the ocean, then woken up to the sunrise over it (or as much as you see here, since the EI beach actually faces south)..... I think it's worth it.

We have talked about seeing if buying a place down here and renting it out except for a couple weeks could make sense. It would just have to be a wash money wise. Maybe make some $ towards the kids college and plow everything back into paying the place off? I don't know how that even works.

Meh, I have the credit to do it but I definitely don't have the cash.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:29 am

It would just have to be a wash money wise.
(Narrator): It wouldnt

Troy Loney

Travel Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:05 am

Finger lakes would be a good spot, I concur. We got one on Portage lakes in OH with a lake house and pontoon and had a good time a couple years ago. Maybe Geneva-on-the-Lake?
Portage and Geneva look promising. Finger lakes are further than I want to drive. Thx, will take a look at places.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:08 am

depending what kind of crowd you're travelling with - Gervasi is an awesome winery in Canton if you go the Portage route

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:14 am

Finger lakes would be a good spot, I concur. We got one on Portage lakes in OH with a lake house and pontoon and had a good time a couple years ago. Maybe Geneva-on-the-Lake?
Portage and Geneva look promising. Finger lakes are further than I want to drive. Thx, will take a look at places.
I have family in Geneva. It can be fun for a long weekend.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:39 am

I used to go to Geneva every year growing up. When I was a kid, the strip was lined with arcades and more family fun things like water slides and old timey photo booths. We returned a few years ago to find that it was mostly bars these days and the old arcades were in pretty rough shape. That said, there is an "Adventure Zone" which has go-karts, an arcade, bumper boats, and I believe rock climbing and zip lining. The wineries are great if you travel a bit outside of the strip area.

I enjoyed myself for a weekend. Anything longer would be too long.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:39 am

I used to go to Geneva every year growing up. When I was a kid, the strip was lined with arcades and more family fun things like water slides and old timey photo booths. We returned a few years ago to find that it was mostly bars these days and the old arcades were in pretty rough shape. That said, there is an "Adventure Zone" which has go-karts, an arcade, bumper boats, and I believe rock climbing and zip lining. The wineries are great if you travel a bit outside of the strip area. And Eddie's Grill is still delicious.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:43 am

I used to go to Geneva every year growing up. When I was a kid, the strip was lined with arcades and more family fun things like water slides and old timey photo booths. We returned a few years ago to find that it was mostly bars these days and the old arcades were in pretty rough shape. That said, there is an "Adventure Zone" which has go-karts, an arcade, bumper boats, and I believe rock climbing and zip lining. The wineries are great if you travel a bit outside of the strip area.

Agreed. Madsen donuts is terrific and glad to see that still there. We had fun at the adventure zone as well.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Travel Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:13 am

I remember Put-in-Bay being nice.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:14 am

if you remember put in bay you did it wrong

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:21 pm

Man, this was a confusing conversation to come into. There is a Geneva, NY that is at the north end of Seneca Lake too. :lol:

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:03 pm

was planning to go to florida in august looks like that is in jeopardy (cancelled our may trip too). looking to drive somewhere for beach - ocean city MD or VA Beach? have never been to OCMD. where is a good place to stay to be near the action

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:24 pm

was planning to go to florida in august looks like that is in jeopardy (cancelled our may trip too). looking to drive somewhere for beach - ocean city MD or VA Beach? have never been to OCMD. where is a good place to stay to be near the action
like *how* close to the action? it can get pretty yinzy in OCMD. not quite chesney tailgate yinzer but close

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:31 pm

There's a good bit of OCMD talk a few pages back. I think it starts here:
viewtopic.php?p=794503#p794503

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:34 pm

like *how* close to the action? it can get pretty yinzy in OCMD. not quite chesney tailgate yinzer but close
close enough we can walk with a baby in a stroller and not seem like a schlep

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:54 pm

I like VA Beach. Have some fond memories of going there when my uncle was stationed at Little Creek.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:44 pm

I like VA Beach. Have some fond memories of going there when my uncle was stationed at Little Creek.
It has changed a LOT in the last twenty years.

MWB

Travel Thread

Postby MWB » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:55 pm

In Key West this week, and it’s actually been really nice, even with Covid precautions (masks at all times, some places do temp checks, bars closed). Restaurants are open. Beaches are open. Not as crowded as normal, or so I’m told. Went to Dry Tortugas today, which was incredible. Lots of good snorkeling and cool history.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:59 am

6 hours until we hit the Outer Banks...getting a hotel tonight through Sunday and then checking into our beachfront house for the week. Need this vacation soooooo bad. Giddy up!

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:18 pm

I've been watch 'SharkFest' or whatever it is on NatGeo this week and it's making me so desperate to go back down to the beach. Wife and I are looking at New Years, though.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:26 pm

SharkFest > Shark Week imo

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:28 pm

Yeah, I mean, as a concept I agree. But some of the content is pretty thin. The one I watched last night was literally just interviews and reenactments of waders getting bitten on the beach. Not a lot of depth to it (so to speak).

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:36 pm

I just scheduled all of the Shark Week episodes (starts on 8/9, BTW) yesterday. Lots of Great White content, which I'm looking forward to. There appears to be less of the dramatization stuff.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:53 pm

Yeah, that dramatization stuff is what soured me on Discovery. The Marine Conservation Science Institute stopped cooperating with the network over how sensationalized their shark programming had become.