Travel Thread

llipgh2

Travel Thread

Postby llipgh2 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:45 pm

I know, but they weren't the creators.
Some say the Anchor Bar stole the idea from another bar in Buffalo. Kind of like the "Flaming Moe" episode of The Simpsons.

thehockeyguru

Travel Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:22 pm

I want to go to the Maldives or back to the Caribbean again for some more scuba
For those who have been to the Caribbean, how would you rank the top 3 islands to stay on? I have never been and have always wondered......
Grand Turk, Grand Cayman, St. Maarten.

Don't really see the appeal of Jamaica after a couple visits there.
I have heard great things about St. Maarten. Isnt the Dutch side a lot nicer than the French side?

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:28 pm

Isnt the Dutch side a lot nicer than the French side?
That's largely true of Europe, too.

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:29 pm

Go to Anchor Bar and have some orignal Buffalo Wings.
A close friend's wife grew up (at least in part) in Buffalo. IIRC, she said the locals all think Duff's is better.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Travel Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:09 pm

I'll be in Buffalo for the game as well for a bachelor party weekend. I'll be wearing the Lemieux jersey and sitting with a bunch of drunk morons.

wallflower

Travel Thread

Postby wallflower » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:39 pm

Corvidae and I are considering a trip to Estonia & Finland next year. But we're mostly still in the conversation stage of planning right now.

Nuge

Travel Thread

Postby Nuge » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:08 pm

im not sure theres much else to do there besides that
Unfortunately I think this is the case. I've been to the Anchor Bar. The wings were good but nothing that special. I'm excited to try Duffs. I'm also not planning on hitting the falls as I feel like I've seen pretty much all there is to see there.

Nuge

Travel Thread

Postby Nuge » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:12 pm

I'll be in Buffalo for the game as well for a bachelor party weekend. I'll be wearing the Lemieux jersey and sitting with a bunch of drunk morons.
I'll probably be a drunk moron in a pens hoodie.

Gabe

Travel Thread

Postby Gabe » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:20 am

Isnt the Dutch side a lot nicer than the French side?
That's largely true of Europe, too.
You know, I've been to St. Maarten three times now (all on cruises). I've only ever been to the Dutch side. We always tell us ourselves that we'll take the water taxi over to France, but we've ended up being sidetracked doing something else.

In October, I'm going on a cruise to the ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) Very excited to see the deep Southern Caribbean.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Travel Thread

Postby meow » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:21 am

For those who have been to the Caribbean, how would you rank the top 3 islands to stay on? I have never been and have always wondered......

mrs. meow and I are talking about heading to Turks at some point. Where did you stay while you were there?

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:25 am

What turned you off from Jamaica?

We've been 6-7 times (can't recall off the top of my head) and have even taken the kids. All of us love it and can't wait to get back there. Were you there on a cruise? Did you stay on a resort? Did you get out beyond the touristy areas?

I'm interested.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:29 am

we are going to jamiaca in june. cant wait

Gabe

Travel Thread

Postby Gabe » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:07 pm

mrs. meow and I are talking about heading to Turks at some point. Where did you stay while you were there?
Been to Grand Turk 4 times. All on Carnival Cruises. Its very isolated, but quiet. I'm cruising around until I find a place that I want to stay on a longer vacation.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:11 pm

I would love to go to Jamaica, but only if I could have a local 'guide' type person. I feel that a lot of what places like that have to offer are further off the beaten path than I'd be comfortable venturing unassisted. That's my big hangup with Vietnam right now; Mrs Tif has had a bug up her butt about going there for five years or so, and I'm just completely uninterested unless we have a local accompany us. Kinda feel this way about Singapore, altho less so. I really don't know if you could manage a trip of more than 3-4 days in Singapore before you ran out of things to do, so I'd want to package that with a trip to Vietnam. (You know, if we find a guide.)

Besides, there is nowhere in the world I want to visit for the first time more than I want to go back to Spain.

Gabe

Travel Thread

Postby Gabe » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:16 pm

What turned you off from Jamaica?

We've been 6-7 times (can't recall off the top of my head) and have even taken the kids. All of us love it and can't wait to get back there. Were you there on a cruise? Did you stay on a resort? Did you get out beyond the touristy areas?

I'm interested.
Been there a few times for a few days each time. I guess I should clarify, its not so bad, just not my cup o tea. Out and about, I noticed a lot more run down areas than in other parts of the Caribbean, outside of the Bahamas. The Falmouth area would be my favorite part. I just think there are so many other better (imo) places out there. I wouldn't be opposed to going back there, but so far, hasn't been my favorite.

redwill

Travel Thread

Postby redwill » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:29 pm

I would love to go to Jamaica, but only if I could have a local 'guide' type person. I feel that a lot of what places like that have to offer are further off the beaten path than I'd be comfortable venturing unassisted. That's my big hangup with Vietnam right now; Mrs Tif has had a bug up her butt about going there for five years or so, and I'm just completely uninterested unless we have a local accompany us. Kinda feel this way about Singapore, altho less so. I really don't know if you could manage a trip of more than 3-4 days in Singapore before you ran out of things to do, so I'd want to package that with a trip to Vietnam. (You know, if we find a guide.)
I can be your local guide on your next vacation to Kansas.
Let's see ... there's a feedlot. There are some cows. Oh, a wheat field. More cows. Notice the hundred of miles of well-maintained barbed wire fences. More cows.

Fine-dining? Sure! There's a Pizza Hut in the next town, which is sixty miles away.

Another feedlot with thousands of cows!

Um, so that's about it, Mr. and Mrs. tifosi. Come again!

NAN

Travel Thread

Postby NAN » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:40 pm

I have heard great things about St. Maarten. Isnt the Dutch side a lot nicer than the French side?
yes and yes

Gabe

Travel Thread

Postby Gabe » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:35 pm

You talk about dining in Kansas. I know its not what would be considered "fine" dining, but I don't think I have EVER had a better meal than what I've had in KC. I'm a barbecue snob and I probably sound like a commercial, but if you ever go through the KC area, make it a point to stop at Jack Stack BBQ. It is absolutely amazing.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Travel Thread

Postby meow » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:40 pm

Let's see ... there's a feedlot. There are some cows. Oh, a wheat field. More cows. Notice the hundred of miles of well-maintained barbed wire fences. More cows.

Fine-dining? Sure! There's a Pizza Hut in the next town, which is sixty miles away.

Another feedlot with thousands of cows!

Um, so that's about it, Mr. and Mrs. tifosi. Come again!
I was told there would be windmills.

redwill

Travel Thread

Postby redwill » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:00 pm

I was told there would be windmills.
Not many of these left:

And none of those work, except in museums and prairie preserves.

There are wind farms, though, which are pretty awesome. Unless you're a bird.

redwill

Travel Thread

Postby redwill » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:05 pm

You talk about dining in Kansas. I know its not what would be considered "fine" dining, but I don't think I have EVER had a better meal than what I've had in KC. I'm a barbecue snob and I probably sound like a commercial, but if you ever go through the KC area, make it a point to stop at Jack Stack BBQ. It is absolutely amazing.
Yeah, don't really consider KC as being Kansas. I'm pretty sure KC residents would quickly agree.

But, seriously, there are some really good ethnic restaurants in Wichita. Having a large air force base here attracts that. Especially good are two Lebanese restaurants. I happen to think Lebanese food is the best in the world, so I'm pretty happy when I can make the time to go.

Felafels all around!

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:32 pm

That's my big hangup with Vietnam right now; Mrs Tif has had a bug up her butt about going there for five years or so, and I'm just completely uninterested unless we have a local accompany us. Kinda feel this way about Singapore, altho less so. I really don't know if you could manage a trip of more than 3-4 days in Singapore before you ran out of things to do, so I'd want to package that with a trip to Vietnam.
Have you read Up Country, by Nelson Demille? This book really made me want to visit Vietnam. It's part travelogue, part novel.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:07 pm

Have not even heard of that book. But I see it is available for $7 on Kindle, and the day is still somewhat young. :thumb:

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:39 pm

Making progress on this summer's Chicago trip. Anyone ever eat at Alinea? Its expensive as hell and probably not worth it, but just for the sake of doing it I'm wondering if anyone has been there before.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:14 pm

Alinea is considered the 9th best restaurant in the entire world. They focus on huge tasting menus that are around 20 courses. It will take roughly three hours from start-to-finish, and will easily set you back $1,000 for two people if you have wine pairings.
This was discussed in the LGP cooking thread, and many had the impression that there's no possible way food can be worth that kind of spend. It's so much more than food; it's a total sensory experience that you will never forget. 'Worth' is entirely subjective for a restaurant experience of that nature. Mrs Tif and I ate at Arzak in San Sebastián last year, which is a similar type of restaurant (ranked #8 on that list of best in the world). It's not the kind of thing you can have very often, imo, as it's simply not realistic to go through life eating meals like this on a super regular basis (if such means are within your grasp). But I'd go to Alinea in a heartbeat if I could.

Chef Grant Achatz has another restaurant in Chicago called Next. They change their menu either monthly or quarterly, and it's based on a specific theme or ingredient. They do not accept reservations, instead preferring to use a ticketing system where you buy tickets in advance of the meal. This allows them much more accurately account for revenue and allow them to control costs, which in turn allows them to offer some bonkers good food for a fraction of what it would cost at a traditional restaurant where they routinely have 15% of tables no-show on a given day. Trois Mec here in Los Angeles follows the same approach; you're getting two- or three-star Michelin-quality cuisine for around a hundo a head.