Travel Thread

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:25 pm

Jaleo is really good but Oyamel is absolutely fantastic.
Any dish in particular? I’m willing to try anything on their menu.
Based on their current menu….

Any of the ceviches, caldo tlalpeño, ensalada sandía, gaspacho, the cochinita pibil and hongos tacos are standouts, and as far as the entrees the mole enchiladas are fantastic but unfortunately don’t appear to be on the menu right now; the quesadilla de chicharrones, pulpa negra, camarones al mojo de ajo negro, and enchiladas verdes are all great. A lot of the vegetable dishes look new to me but you can never go wrong with Mexicans and corn.

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:34 pm

This rental car shortage BS is for the birds. Arrived in Memphis today to find a line just to get a car -- there were hardly any in the garage. That was a nice 25-minute wait. Then I had to go back to the airport 3 hours later because my bag didn't make it and I ran into someone I knew on the flight my bag came in on. I got back to the hotel and I see a tweet for him describing a 45-minute-and-climbing wait for a car from the same Hertz garage. The companies really did themselves a disservice by panicking at the beginning of the pandemic.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:52 am

The companies really did themselves a disservice by panicking at the beginning of the pandemic.
genuinely curious because I haven't read up on it. how did they panic? what did they do to cause this? was it just selling off their inventories?

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:57 am

Source of the post was it just selling off their inventories?
This, mostly. The rental agencies in Hawaii sold off more than 30% of their inventory early on, and struggled to meet demand when it picked back up. It's getting better now, but there was a time that people were forced to pay more than $500 per day for a rental car in Maui. Insanity.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:59 am

This rental car shortage BS is for the birds. Arrived in Memphis today to find a line just to get a car -- there were hardly any in the garage. That was a nice 25-minute wait. Then I had to go back to the airport 3 hours later because my bag didn't make it and I ran into someone I knew on the flight my bag came in on. I got back to the hotel and I see a tweet for him describing a 45-minute-and-climbing wait for a car from the same Hertz garage. The companies really did themselves a disservice by panicking at the beginning of the pandemic.

We rented a car for our honeymoon and the only issue we had was they didn't have the full size we reserved and gave us a midsize SUV instead. The price was outrageous, though.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:09 am

Since no Canada trip...we have decided to take a short trip to Columbus to go to the Columbus Zoo, then go to Cleveland to the RRHOF and maybe the cleveland zoo or whatever else. I'm sure we will do some other things, but I just want to get away somewhere for a few days.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:24 am

Since no Canada trip...we have decided to take a short trip to Columbus to go to the Columbus Zoo, then go to Cleveland to the RRHOF and maybe the cleveland zoo or whatever else. I'm sure we will do some other things, but I just want to get away somewhere for a few days.
Columbus Zoo is low key great. There’s also a classic wooden coaster there that was a fun time, along with a full water park.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:26 am

Columbus Zoo is low key great. There’s also a classic wooden coaster there that was a fun time, along with a full water park.
My wife loves Zoo's almost as much as she loves airports I think haha, and she has wanted to go to the Columbus zoo for a long time. I've always wanted to go to the RRHOF just to say I've been there and hopefully see some cool exhibits. It may only be a 3 or 4 day thing, but it's something.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:31 am

I've been to the RRHOF three times and each time it's been 'meh.' Maybe I don't care enough about Rock & Roll but I found myself hurrying through the museum just so I could be done. There were a few cool items in there that I enjoyed seeing but I don't think I'm really their target audience.

But yeah, Columbus Zoo is a great zoo, much better than Pittsburgh's. The water park is legit too and I may be wrong but I think the wooden coaster is the oldest coaster in Ohio. At least that's what I've always heard.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:55 am

then go to Cleveland to the RRHOF and maybe the cleveland zoo or whatever else. I'm sure we will do some other things, but I just want to get away somewhere for a few days.
I've found the RRHOF to be meh as well. I just don't think it's laid out well. while in Cleve-Land I highly recommend a trip to Westside Market for lunch: http://westsidemarket.org/
Steve's Gyros are awesome!

if you've got a free afternoon, drive about an hour south to the Pro Football HoF. I'm not a huge football fan but I thought it was fantastic.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:57 am

oh, and this place was tons of fun in Columbus: https://www.pinsbar.com/columbus

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:00 pm

Source of the post if you've got a free afternoon, drive about an hour south to the Pro Football HoF. I'm not a huge football fan but I thought it was fantastic.
Second this. Canton isn't that far from downtown Cleveland and the football HOF is top notch. Much better experience than the RRHOF.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:06 pm

I've been to the Football hall of Fame twice in the past for 49ers introductions but haven't been there recently.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:06 pm

oh, and this place was tons of fun in Columbus: https://www.pinsbar.com/columbus
:thumb:

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:21 pm

Speaking of the NFL HOF, David Baker was on the Pat McAfee Show yesterday, and it was one of the best interviews I've seen in a long while.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:47 am

2 days in Atlanta next week. I won't have time to sight-see or anything but I will have time for dinner. Any suggestions?

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:42 am

2 days in Atlanta next week. I won't have time to sight-see or anything but I will have time for dinner. Any suggestions?
where in ATL? makes a big difference where I would recommend.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:43 am

where in ATL? makes a big difference where I would recommend.
Good question. I'm waiting to hear back on the shoot location so I don't have a hotel booked yet. I'll swing back around once I know that.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:02 am

When my daughter and I were driving to camp last week, we stumbled upon this behemoth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunkhannock_Viaduct
Tunkhannock Creek Viaduct (also known as the Nicholson Bridge and the Tunkhannock Viaduct) is a concrete deck arch bridge on the Nicholson Cutoff rail segment of the Norfolk Southern Railway Sunbury Line that spans Tunkhannock Creek in Nicholson, Pennsylvania, in the United States. Measuring 2,375 feet (724 m) long and towering 240 feet (73.15 m) when measured from the creek bed (300 feet (91.44 m) from bedrock), it was the largest concrete structure in the world when completed in 1915 and still merited "the title of largest concrete bridge in America, if not the world" 50 years later.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:59 am

If you're into that kind of stuff, riding along the Greater Allegheny Passage bike trail and C&O Canal Toe Path you'll find all kinds of structures like this. Viaducts, tunnels, locks, dams, you name it.

The most interesting to me was the Paw Paw tunnel. It took something like 11 years to build and cost a few lives. Not to mention infighting due to workers not being paid. The only method they had back then was to bore some holes in the rock, throw some dynamite in there, and clear out the rubble manually. By the time the tunnel was completed, it was obsolete due to the innovation of the railroad.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:02 am

looks very similar to the Westinghouse bridge

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:46 pm

If you're into that kind of stuff, riding along the Greater Allegheny Passage bike trail and C&O Canal Toe Path you'll find all kinds of structures like this. Viaducts, tunnels, locks, dams, you name it.

The most interesting to me was the Paw Paw tunnel. It took something like 11 years to build and cost a few lives. Not to mention infighting due to workers not being paid. The only method they had back then was to bore some holes in the rock, throw some dynamite in there, and clear out the rubble manually. By the time the tunnel was completed, it was obsolete due to the innovation of the railroad.
That's great stuff. Construction of those old tunnels fascinates me.

Hell, the newer tunnels fascinate me too. Take the Harbor Tunnel in Baltimore for example. It opened 64 years ago, and is still going strong and in great shape.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:52 pm

I think I mentioned it earlier, but when I was passing through Wisconsin earlier this summer I stopped to do a rail/trail in the town I lived in. Part of it went through an old train tunnel. When they were boring the hole in the little mountain they struck a spring. And just kept going. So now, 148 years later, the spring still flows inside the tunnel in the form of rain and eventually a small creek. It was pushing 100F the day we went, but when you get to within about 100 yards of the tunnel the temp drops down into the 70s. The change was abruptly and dramatic, and quite welcome on that day.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:55 pm

I think I mentioned it earlier, but when I was passing through Wisconsin earlier this summer I stopped to do a rail/trail in the town I lived in. Part of it went through an old train tunnel. When they were boring the hole in the little mountain they struck a spring. And just kept going. So now, 148 years later, the spring still flows inside the tunnel in the form of rain and eventually a small creek. It was pushing 100F the day we went, but when you get to within about 100 yards of the tunnel the temp drops down into the 70s. The change was abruptly and dramatic, and quite welcome on that day.
Yes, the same thing happened when we went through all the tunnels on the GAP/C&O canal. You'd be biking in 88F degree heat after a thunderstorm, then boom, 15 degree drop once you got in front of the tunnel.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:28 pm

Hit up the Baltimore Aquarium on the way to DC today. Perhaps it had just been too long between visits, but this is not a top tier aquarium. I’d struggle to even give it a 5 out of 10.

In DC now, and went to Carmine’s for dinner. Amazon Italian food, but holy hell was a lot of it wasted. Every plate is basically family style, and I bet three tossed 3 lbs of food from my wife’s plate.