Travel Thread

llipgh2

Travel Thread

Postby llipgh2 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:36 pm

Thought I'd get the ball rolling.

Just came back from Vegas. Going to Niagara Falls for my birthday. Who else has upcoming travel?

thehockeyguru

Re: Travel Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:08 pm

Golf trip in May with a bunch of college buddies. We do Pinehurst, NC for 4 days each year its a blast.

I also did the Pens West coast trip a few weeks ago.. Went to games in Anaheim, LA, and SJ. It was a lot of fun. Have to say, I have never been in a colder arena than the Staples Center.

Bioshock

Postby Bioshock » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:21 pm

I want to go to the Maldives or back to the Caribbean again for some more scuba

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:25 pm

Going to Jamaica in September.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:27 pm

For those who have been to the Caribbean, how would you rank the top 3 islands to stay on? I have never been and have always wondered......

Bioshock

Postby Bioshock » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:14 pm

My top 3 were Cozumel, Turks and Caicos, and Antigua. I've been to Cozumel and it was fantastic. More of a scuba location than anything. Turks and Caicos is also a scuba destination and i plan to go in the next few years. From what i understand, Antigua is the place you go for a honeymoon. Quiet and not much else to do but be with each other.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:17 pm

I've only been to Grand Bahamas island. Aside from Black Rock Beach, there wasn't much to do.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:19 pm

It has been almost exactly one year since we left for Spain.

sad face

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:20 pm

I liked going to Freeport because there were not that many people there (went middle of July). I go on vacation to get away from humans.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:22 pm

I liked going to Freeport because there were not that many people there (went middle of July). I go on vacation to get away from humans.
Agreed, basically the opposite of Nassau. "FIVE DOLLA! FIVE DOLLA!"

Bioshock

Postby Bioshock » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:22 pm

I've only been to Grand Bahamas island. Aside from Black Rock Beach, there wasn't much to do.
Yeah, if you're going anywhere down in that part of the world, you need to plan ahead to make sure there's actually stuff to do. Everyone says they'd just lay on the beach and enjoy the beautiful weather, but the fact is EVERY place has beaches and beautiful weather down there. That's a given. It's all the other stuff that is or ISN'T available that makes or breaks a destination in the Caribbean, IMO.

My make or break is scuba and/or local food outside of the resort. Cozumel was amazing but it's because we left the resort everyday and went to find places to eat or things to do that made it so enjoyable. If i had stayed on the resort, i would have been bored out of my mind for a week.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:19 pm

Port Lucaya, on the other side of the island, is kind of dicey. Just need to be aware.. When we were there couple of tourists were robbed at gunpoint in the public restrooms. Cops did nothing.

Had great jerked grouper in Port Lucaya, though.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:38 pm

Offline games would be good. I'm taking a vacation this summer that will involve plane rides in excess of 10 hours, so games in my phone will be one way to kill time.
Oh, Shyster, I forgot to ask: What airline are you flying for your Japan trip? And once there, are you getting around in-country via shinkansen?

(Moved from the Video Games thread)

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:45 pm

Oh, Shyster, I forgot to ask: What airline are you flying for your Japan trip? And once there, are you getting around in-country via shinkansen?
Yes to the shinkansen part. We haven't made airline reservations yet. I've been looking at flights, and I think the most likely airline is United, possibly paired with ANA (which is in the same alliance). We're coming back from Osaka Kansai Airport, and United offers a direct flight from KIX to San Francisco. JAL flies from Osaka to LAX, but my sister-in-law (who is a seasoned world traveler with numerous cross-Atlantic and -Pacific trips to her name) hates LAX with a passion. United flies to Tokyo-Narita (we're staying much closer to Narita than Haneda) from multiple airports, and ANA flies from SFO to Tokyo. My s-i-l strongly recommends making the transoceanic flight as short as possible, so we are looking at flying to more western city and departing from there. I think we'll probably fly to SFO and catch a second plane there, either a United or ANA flight. So it's probably:

Outbound: PIT -> SFO -> NRT
Inbound: KIX -> SFO -> [intermediate stop] -> PIT

There are direct flights coming back from SFO to PIT, but all of them leave before the flight from Osaka would land. So we're going to have to make an extra stop somewhere else on the way back like Denver, Chicago, or D.C.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Travel Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:59 pm

I lived in Japan for a year...loved it.

Thanks Uncle Sam!

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:16 am

Yes to the shinkansen part. We haven't made airline reservations yet. I've been looking at flights, and I think the most likely airline is United, possibly paired with ANA (which is in the same alliance). We're coming back from Osaka Kansai Airport, and United offers a direct flight from KIX to San Francisco. JAL flies from Osaka to LAX, but my sister-in-law (who is a seasoned world traveler with numerous cross-Atlantic and -Pacific trips to her name) hates LAX with a passion. United flies to Tokyo-Narita (we're staying much closer to Narita than Haneda) from multiple airports, and ANA flies from SFO to Tokyo. My s-i-l strongly recommends making the transoceanic flight as short as possible, so we are looking at flying to more western city and departing from there. I think we'll probably fly to SFO and catch a second plane there, either a United or ANA flight. So it's probably:

Outbound: PIT -> SFO -> NRT
Inbound: KIX -> SFO -> [intermediate stop] -> PIT

There are direct flights coming back from SFO to PIT, but all of them leave before the flight from Osaka would land. So we're going to have to make an extra stop somewhere else on the way back like Denver, Chicago, or D.C.
I'm pretty convinced that, on balance, LAX is the worst airport in the whole world. That said, if you fly a national carrier (ANA, Lufthansa, British Airways, etc) and can use the Bradley Terminal, things are much nicer. Actually, things are pretty awesome, with several local L.A. restaurants having outposts. But all of the domestic terminals are utter crap.

SFO might be the best airport in the country, certainly as far as food options are concerned. Once you get through security, you still have the run of the airport. At LAX, after going through security you are locked down in that specific terminal. It's objectively terrible; avoid LAX at all costs if you can.

I was going to suggest ANA for the transPac. I flew United and had no complaints, but that was strictly a frequent flier miles consideration. May not have any complaints, but it probably wasn't all it could have been. Working for a Japanese company for 5 1/2 years, ANA was far and away the preferred airline of the Japanese nationals. Apparently it's quite nice.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:19 am

Oh, and one other thing............ if you fly into Narita, take the limousine bus into Tokyo. They have a pre-recorded voice welcome thing that admonishes you to refrain from using your mobile phone on the bus as "they tend to annoy the neighbors". :lol:

Nuge

Travel Thread

Postby Nuge » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:27 pm

I'm going to the Pens game in Buffalo this Saturday. Anyone been to a game up there and have any tips? I've been to a few Bills games, but never a Sabres game. I'm planning on driving up Saturday morning and hitting Duff's for some wings for lunch. Other than that, I don't really have anything planned.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:38 pm

im not sure theres much else to do there besides that

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:49 pm

Mrs Tif and I have been together for ten birthdays. In the past, on the date of my birthday, we have been in Maranello, Italy, New Orleans, and San Sebastian, Spain. That's a pretty good hit rate.

llipgh2

Travel Thread

Postby llipgh2 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:57 pm

I'm going to the Pens game in Buffalo this Saturday. Anyone been to a game up there and have any tips? I've been to a few Bills games, but never a Sabres game. I'm planning on driving up Saturday morning and hitting Duff's for some wings for lunch. Other than that, I don't really have anything planned.
Drive up to Niagara Falls. It isn't that far. Bring a passport so you can get onto the Canadian side. The US side is meh.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:11 pm

Go to Anchor Bar and have some orignal Buffalo Wings.

llipgh2

Travel Thread

Postby llipgh2 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Go to Anchor Bar and have some orignal Buffalo Wings.
I find the Buffalo Head Bar/Gideon's Gate (2 places, same owner) actually have better wings. Don't know if either place is still open, it's been a while since I've been to Buffalo.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:25 pm

I know, but they weren't the creators.

Gabe

Travel Thread

Postby Gabe » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:38 pm

For those who have been to the Caribbean, how would you rank the top 3 islands to stay on? I have never been and have always wondered......
Grand Turk, Grand Cayman, St. Maarten.

Don't really see the appeal of Jamaica after a couple visits there.