Travel Thread

NAN

Travel Thread

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:37 am

Anyone get f'd over with any American flights? My wife had to leave for a work trip this morning and got the message her flight was cancelled yesterday afternoon. Pretty much spent the rest of the day working out flights to get to her meeting as she really couldn't miss it. Affected multiple others going as well.

Eventually she found a flight on Delta, but even that is over booked and they are looking for volunteers to give up their seats.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:46 am

Anyone get f'd over with any American flights? My wife had to leave for a work trip this morning and got the message her flight was cancelled yesterday afternoon. Pretty much spent the rest of the day working out flights to get to her meeting as she really couldn't miss it. Affected multiple others going as well.

Eventually she found a flight on Delta, but even that is over booked and they are looking for volunteers to give up their seats.
Just saw an article on CNN saying they cancelled 1058 flights on Sunday, which was roughly one in every five of originally scheduled. They cancelled another 250 today too.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:50 am

You'd think the airplanes full of money the government gave them would enable them to work with minimal disruption.

Stock buybacks are good, too, I guess.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:51 am

Doug Parker and American Airlines can choke on a giant bag of inflated dicks.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:58 am

At Philadelphia International Airport, the economy parking lot, shuttered since the start of the pandemic, will not reopen to passengers. Instead, the airport plans to develop the property as part of a multi-year effort to expand cargo services and win more shipping business, a PHL official confirmed Thursday.
And PHL continues to be one of the worst airports I have ever had to use. So god damn shortsighted.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:24 am

At Philadelphia International Airport, the economy parking lot, shuttered since the start of the pandemic, will not reopen to passengers. Instead, the airport plans to develop the property as part of a multi-year effort to expand cargo services and win more shipping business, a PHL official confirmed Thursday.
And PHL continues to be one of the worst airports I have ever had to use. So god damn shortsighted.
What the HELL?!

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:38 am

Insanity. We've had issues finding parking when the damn economy lot was open, and now it's just going to be worse. The nearby shuttle services are trash, and not once have we used one where we didn't leave with a ding on a door or something. But hey, they want people who - and I quote - insist on driving to utilize Septa and ride sharing. **** them right in the dadhole. If I enjoyed driving at all, I'd just start using EWR.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:41 am

Yeah that's insane. And you're right, the shuttle services are mostly trash. I've waited 30+ minutes after getting my luggage for a random shuttle van to appear.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:47 am

The ironic thing is that just before Covid, they switched to smaller shuttle buses from the economy lot, and it made the experience so much better. And now they do this. I hope they lose all of their cargo business over this.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:54 am

Oh yeah, the big busses were the worst. Let's see how many humans we can cram in here. It was like they were competing with each other.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:32 am

Travelling to SF/Sacramento area for work the week after Thanksgiving. Looks like we will be staying between Vallejo and Napa. Probably won't be able to sight see that much but restaurant recommendations are welcome.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:58 am

Travelling to SF/Sacramento area for work the week after Thanksgiving. Looks like we will be staying between Vallejo and Napa. Probably won't be able to sight see that much but restaurant recommendations are welcome.
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is a good time for their animal park - especially Odin’s Temple of Tiger.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:29 am

Avoid SoCal at all costs. Tif and his imaginary plumbing system has polluted the ground water. 1 stars out of 5, would rate 0 if possible.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:57 am

Avoid SoCal at all costs. Tif and his imaginary plumbing system has polluted the ground water. 1 stars out of 5, would rate 0 if possible.
Tif has some long ass turds if that should be one of my concerns.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:59 am

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is a good time for their animal park - especially Odin’s Temple of Tiger.
I'll probably have 0 time for sight seeing, unfortunately. Working night shifts and also going with a coworker who's pushing 70 and not likely to be doing anything other than working, sleeping and eating.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:01 am

Wife and I are tossing around the idea of going to Vegas the weekend of 12/18...thru like 12/21 or 12/22. We need to get away for a few days.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:06 am

Don't do it. Was in Vegas in July and it's somehow worse than ever.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:09 am

What's "worse" than ever. I figured it would be less crowded this time of year. We were there a couple years back during peak time when she had a work conference...and I didn't mind it.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:15 am

What's "worse" than ever. I figured it would be less crowded this time of year. We were there a couple years back during peak time when she had a work conference...and I didn't mind it.
The streets are even dirtier than before with trash literally piled up in places. The homeless situation is also at an all time high and every overpass (or whatever those walkways are called) have encampments set up both on the walkway itself and underneath near the stairs. It's sad and also creates a feeling of being unsafe, which I've actually never felt in Vegas (at least on the strip) before.

This was in July so maybe they've cleaned it up since then but it was not an enjoyable time.

Just wanted to add that the homeless encampments were bad in every city we visited this year including SF, LA, and DC but we never had an issue in those cities. We would walk past large encampments and not be bothered at all. Those people were just trying to live their lives. In Vegas, however, the homeless that we walked past were aggressive and didn't appreciate it if you didn't have any money to give them.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:38 am

DC was pretty rough when I went in July, to the point of there being random tents right next to metro stations.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:23 pm

Quit trying to kill my buzz guys haha.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:56 pm

There are some excellent restaurants in DT Napa. There's a Morimoto, there's Angele, Allegria, Zuzu, Oenotri (a little pricey).

If you're after more of a Spendy McMoneybags vibe and have the time, you can head up further north to Yountville, which is where some of the best restaurants in the world are located, but.............

The closest decent winery to where you'll be is probably Trinitas, which I've been to, is excellent. But there are a number of small-producer wineries in SE Napa Valley with tasting rooms, so don't close out that idea completely. (I can think of like 6 or 7 off the top of my head) It would be a shame to come to that part of the world and not have at least a wine bar experience. As I always say, the best thing about wine country is that it is in wine country. :D

Which..... now that I think about it, Trinitas is part of a resort complex that I've stayed at before. Meritage. Maybe that's where you're staying? lol

Other recs would depend on which airport you're flying into, SFO or OAK. You might end up taking different routes to your destination and that would impact where I send you.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:04 pm

Ooooh! One rec just popped into my dome........ Oxbow Public Market. It's like a food court for grown ups. It's on a little 2-block stretch of, I think, 1st St on the east side of the river where there are tasting rooms, at least one brewery, restaurants, and then the Oxbow itself. Favorite place there is Hog Island Oyster Co; if raw bivalves aren't your jam, they're also just a generally excellent seafood restaurant in addition to the raw bar stuff.

Oxbow is one of those places that is like the first port of call when we're in Napa. Don't know if you've been to SF before or know the reference, but it's like the Ferry Terminal Building's kid brother.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:18 pm

Ooooh! One rec just popped into my dome........ Oxbow Public Market. It's like a food court for grown ups. It's on a little 2-block stretch of, I think, 1st St on the east side of the river where there are tasting rooms, at least one brewery, restaurants, and then the Oxbow itself. Favorite place there is Hog Island Oyster Co; if raw bivalves aren't your jam, they're also just a generally excellent seafood restaurant in addition to the raw bar stuff.

Oxbow is one of those places that is like the first port of call when we're in Napa. Don't know if you've been to SF before or know the reference, but it's like the Ferry Terminal Building's kid brother.
Ah, was waiting for your recs, thanks! We’re flying into SFO and staying in American Canyon. Working in Vallejo. Also working 3pm-1am so wine tours may be right out unfortunately.

There’s a chance we get all our work done a day early and get to do a little site seeing Friday but that’s a big if. You’re right, would be a shame to be in the wine Mecca of the world and not experience at least a little of it. With Christmas around the corner, would make for some easy gift ideas.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:19 pm

Also my first time in SF so I’m a total newb.