Travel Thread

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:23 pm

Wife: We should stop in Somerset until the worst of the storm passes.

Me:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue May 07, 2019 4:19 pm

I'm still working with our German office to figure out what the plan is. They don't get us over there very often, so they tend to make our trips a couple weeks and visit as many customers as possible. At the moment, the plan is just Milan.

No clue on which airline... whichever is cheapest. I'd imagine out of JFK as they have direct flights, but I might start in Frankfurt and eventually get to Milan.
if you can swing it I HIGHLY recommend Emirates. they have good deals from JFK to Milan fairly often and their coach is as nice as most carriers First Class. we flew over in a 500 passenger capacity Airbus A380 and it sounds like a silly thing but I was very impressed with how quickly they loaded 500 people onto that plane. the warm, lemon scented towels just after take off and right before landing were nice and the food was actually good! :scared:
Thanks for the heads up... It was cheaper to get a train ticket to and from NYC, and fly Emirates than it would have been to fly out of State College by about half. And out of State College, I would have needed two connecting flights. Woof.

The conference is in the Bicocca area... any advice on best areas in Milan to stay? I'm hoping to get the best of a good area to stay and close to the conference.

AuthorTony

Travel Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Tue May 07, 2019 7:21 pm

Wife: We should stop in Somerset until the worst of the storm passes.

Me:

I'm late to this, but you made the right call.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 07, 2019 8:07 pm

:) I did wave to you as we drove by the exit, Tony.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 07, 2019 8:35 pm

Yup. Every time I drive through Somerset, I think about Tony :lol:

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed May 08, 2019 8:38 am

Thanks for the heads up... It was cheaper to get a train ticket to and from NYC, and fly Emirates than it would have been to fly out of State College by about half. And out of State College, I would have needed two connecting flights. Woof.

The conference is in the Bicocca area... any advice on best areas in Milan to stay? I'm hoping to get the best of a good area to stay and close to the conference.
when we went to Milan we stayed with a friend who was living there at the time so I can't help you there. before your flight be sure to log in to your Emirates account and choose which meals you want. they have lots of choices!
https://www.emirates.com/us/english/exp ... omy-class/

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 08, 2019 8:43 am

when we went to Milan we stayed with a friend who was living there at the time so I can't help you there. before your flight be sure to log in to your Emirates account and choose which meals you want. they have lots of choices!
https://www.emirates.com/us/english/exp ... omy-class/
Is there an option to have the ladies featured in the ad join you on your trip?

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed May 08, 2019 11:39 am

I wouldn't be surprised if the women in their ads are real flight attendants. when the crew came in it was almost like a walk down the runway. Emirates is clearly all about elegance and class.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 08, 2019 11:43 am

I wouldn't be surprised if the women in their ads are real flight attendants. when the crew came in it was almost like a walk down the runway. Emirates is clearly all about elegance and class.
My wife flew Emirates to India. She was impressed with how attractive their flight attendants were.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 08, 2019 2:20 pm

when we went to Milan we stayed with a friend who was living there at the time so I can't help you there.
Well then, you're useless... NEXT!

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:08 pm

Want to beat the traffic to the Outer Banks? Fly to a handful of small regional airports:
New weekend flights from the northeast could make it easier for some tourists to get to the Outer Banks.

The public charter flights will fly from Pittsburgh, Pennsylviania, Manassas, Virginia and Morristown, New Jersey to the Currituck County Regional Airport (ONX), where travelers can pick up a connecting flight to one of the small airstrips along the Outer Banks.

The Ultimate Air Shuttle tickets are pricey, ranging from just under $700 to $1,000 round-trip, and do not include the connecting flight to the Outer Banks. The flights will run Saturdays and Sundays, May 18 through September 14, according to the company.

“The Outer Banks spans roughly 130 miles from Virginia to Ocracoke. There are five other airports on the Outer Banks but they are limited to small private aircraft,” the company says on its website.

The connecting flights can get well-heeled travelers to popular Outer Banks beach spots Corolla, Duck, Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head, Hatteras or Ocracoke, the company says.

The Manassas, Virginia airport (HEF) serves the Washington DC area. And the Morristown, New Jersey airport (MMU) serves the New York and Philadelphia metro areas.

“It’s always been an assumption that you can’t get to the Outer Banks unless you drive,” aviation consultant Larry Vickers said in a press release.

https://www.thestate.com/news/state/nor ... 16164.html

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:23 pm

That's one of the reasons I'm happy living where I do. Easy drive to the OBX down US 13.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 09, 2019 7:52 pm

Weird; you never see PA plates down there.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:18 pm

Whereas HHI is 80% PA and Ohio plates.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:06 pm

Funny you say that, I notice the same. I think it's because the Delaware beaches, NJ beaches, Maryland beaches, etc. are so much closer, but it's still really not that far to go to NC. I think if you live in the western half of PA, the difference between a 6 hour and 8-9 hour drive is significant.

AuthorTony

Travel Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Thu May 09, 2019 9:11 pm

I thought dodint was joking. I probably see 20 OBX stickers a day on vehicles in Somerset and I'd say at least 30% of my senior clients vacation in the Outer Banks on a regular basis.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:11 pm

I thought dodint was joking. I probably see 20 OBX stickers a day on vehicles in Somerset and I'd say at least 20% of my senior clients vacation in the Outer Banks on a regular basis.
I see way more MD, VA, NJ plates. In my experience.

AuthorTony

Travel Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Thu May 09, 2019 9:12 pm

I've never been there. I just gathered, from what I see locally, that it's the place to be.

Give me Maine any day.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Funny you say that, I notice the same. I think it's because the Delaware beaches, NJ beaches, Maryland beaches, etc. are so much closer, but it's still really not that far to go to NC. I think if you live in the western half of PA, the difference between a 6 hour and 8-9 hour drive is significant.
About 2 to 3 hours I'd say.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:14 pm

lol, I meant in terms of perception

Kane

Travel Thread

Postby Kane » Fri May 10, 2019 8:03 am

Give me Maine any day.
:thumb:

My wife and I are planning a trip up there, soon. Really want to check out the http://www.acadianightskyfestival.org/.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri May 10, 2019 11:39 am

Give me Maine any day.
:thumb:

My wife and I are planning a trip up there, soon. Really want to check out the http://www.acadianightskyfestival.org/.
Maine is good in August and then too cold for me the rest of the year.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:27 pm

I remember going to Portland one summer as a kid, and the ocean temp was 55. I was used to mid 60s where I grew up in Massachusetts, but that was a bit too cold for my liking.

That being said, I'd love to visit over the summer now to get out of the heat and humidity down south.

AuthorTony

Travel Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Fri May 10, 2019 6:05 pm

Maine is good in August and then too cold for me the rest of the year.
I was there twice in October and it was lovely. But anything over 75 is hot to me.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:52 pm

I remember going to Portland one summer as a kid, and the ocean temp was 55. I was used to mid 60s where I grew up in Massachusetts, but that was a bit too cold for my liking.

That being said, I'd love to visit over the summer now to get out of the heat and humidity down south.
Ha, yeah it was a true shock the first time I stepped into the ocean up there.