Travel Thread

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:09 pm

Booked a trip to Hawaii in September with the wife. Pretty pumped.
we're going in October for my 50th. waiting until Southwest starts selling tickets though....

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:26 pm

IMO, I would not wait too long to book your flights. Southwest won't put a date on when they'll release a schedule to Hawai'i.

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:47 pm

Southwest just ran an ETOPS proving flight to Hawaii in the last couple days, and certification should be granted shortly. I think schedules will be coming pretty soon.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:03 pm

They ran the first one earlier this week, and I believe there's one running right now. I still wouldn't wait around given the destination. Those flights fill up fast.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Travel Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:07 pm

Hawaii would be lit.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:24 pm

AF

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:41 pm

I get a kick out of the notion that we live in a country that has a 10-hour non-stop domestic route.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:50 pm

Booked a trip to Hawaii in September with the wife. Pretty pumped.
Which island?
Skull
lol... which was partially filmed in Oahu.
Oahu is actually where we are going haha.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:06 pm

We’ve only ever been to Oahu once. Where are you staying? The edges of Waikiki are nice because you’re not in the thick of the crowds, but still close enough to walk to them.

If you plan on doing any snorkeling - and I would absolutely recommend that you do - you have to go to Hanauma Bay. It’s a protected bay and you have to sit through a video about the area, but it’s gorgeous. But be warned, the reef can reach the top of the water along the edges, and you can get thrown into razor sharp rocks and coral quite easily if you’re careless. Respect the ocean’s power there.

Hiking Diamond Head is also a must. The view at the summit is spectacular.

Also, don’t use sunscreen containing oxybenzone and octinoxate. It’s banned, and harmful to the reefs. I recommend ThinkSport, which is mineral based (zinc oxide). Worked great for us, but like any sunscreen down there, you’ll be reapplying often.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:26 pm

We’ve only ever been to Oahu once. Where are you staying? The edges of Waikiki are nice because you’re not in the thick of the crowds, but still close enough to walk to them.

If you plan on doing any snorkeling - and I would absolutely recommend that you do - you have to go to Hanauma Bay. It’s a protected bay and you have to sit through a video about the area, but it’s gorgeous. But be warned, the reef can reach the top of the water along the edges, and you can get thrown into razor sharp rocks and coral quite easily if you’re careless. Respect the ocean’s power there.

Also, don’t use sunscreen containing oxybenzone and octinoxate. It’s banned, and harmful to the reefs. I recommend ThinkSport, which is mineral based (zinc oxide). Worked great for us, but like any sunscreen down there, you’ll be reapplying often.
We are staying at the Aston Waikiki
https://www.astonwaikikibeach.com/

My wife has been to Oahu once already on a work conference trip. Diamondhead is something I know we are doing. She is big into Zoo's and aquariums and I know the Zoo is close to where we are. Going to plan some stuff out that we want to do, but wanted to book now so prices didn't go up too much. We got a flight with only one layover on the way there, but two layovers on the way back. She loves airports though too so she is excited about going to new one's haha.

Good tip on the sunscreen. I burn really easily so it should be interesting. I legit use like SPF 75 back here, but I'll make it work.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:37 pm

We are staying at the Aston Waikiki
https://www.astonwaikikibeach.com/

My wife has been to Oahu once already on a work conference trip. Diamondhead is something I know we are doing. She is big into Zoo's and aquariums and I know the Zoo is close to where we are. Going to plan some stuff out that we want to do, but wanted to book now so prices didn't go up too much. We got a flight with only one layover on the way there, but two layovers on the way back. She loves airports though too so she is excited about going to new one's haha.

Good tip on the sunscreen. I burn really easily so it should be interesting. I legit use like SPF 75 back here, but I'll make it work.
Nice, we actually stayed at the Park Shore Waikiki right next door. My wife and I are the same way - we love zoos and aquariums. When you go to the zoo, I recommend hitting that up early, and then walking to the aquarium afterwards. The aquarium is small, but they have some cool endemic fish. They even have one of the rarest fish in the aquarium hobby, the Peppermint Angelfish ($20k+). Barefoot Beach Cafe had really good plate lunches on the walk back from the aquarium, too.

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:59 pm

Gawd my back hurts just thinking about flying to Hawai'i on Southwest.

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:18 pm

I don't think Southwest's seats are any smaller or closer together than anyone else's economy seats. The only way one is getting anything better is to pay for premium economy or better.

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:21 pm

I don't think Southwest's seats are any smaller or closer together than anyone else's economy seats. The only way one is getting anything better is to pay for premium economy or better.
Something about them hurts my back more than others.

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:31 pm

I get a kick out of the notion that we live in a country that has a 10-hour non-stop domestic route.
A nonstop flight from Sydney to Honolulu is a shorter flight than a nonstop flight from NYC to Honolulu. Tokyo is way shorter.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:45 pm

We are flying American Airlines.

Pittsburgh to Phoenix then Phoenix to Hawaii on way out.

Hawaii to LA .....LA to Charlotte then Charlotte to Pittsburgh on the way back.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:03 pm

Hanauma Bay can be super crowded. It's one of the most-popular snorkeling destinations in the country, and I think the only busier beaches in all of Hawai'I are Waikiki and some places on North Shore during the winter big wave season. It's also on the eastern bit of the island, which has a higher incidence of 'Robin Hoods'. (Although, Hanauma might not be as bad as the more 'locals only' spots like Waimanalo or Lanikai.) Not saying to dissuade you, just FYI.

Rent a car and go to North Shore; it's a completely different experience. Check Surfline or Aloha Surf Guide ahead of time to see if there are any surf comptitions while you're there. Last time we went we stayed at Turtle Bay, and we watched a U-18 competition from the pool bar. Which is exactly how a grown-ass American does that sort of thing.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:27 am

He's going in an off-peak month (as off-peak as it gets in Hawai'i), so the crowds shouldn't be that bad. When we were there, it was winter, and the crowds were very manageable.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:42 am

Southwest's gates are now complete at HNL. That said, I wouldn't want to roll the dice on seating arrangements with Southwest on a flight that long.

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:00 am

He's going in an off-peak month (as off-peak as it gets in Hawai'i), so the crowds shouldn't be that bad. When we were there, it was winter, and the crowds were very manageable.

Please spoiler that or I will cry.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:23 pm

Southwest's gates are now complete at HNL. That said, I wouldn't want to roll the dice on seating arrangements with Southwest on a flight that long.
I've never had any problem sitting next to my traveling companion on SW. f course, it's almost always just me and my SO with no other people to worry about. my last few flight I've also found more leg room on SW than on Delta. in fact, my most hellish flight was a red-eye back from Phoenix on Delta. I'm 5' 2" and was incredibly uncomfortable the entire flight. I can't imagine how bad it was for the 2 grown men in the row with me, especially the guy in the middle.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:32 pm

we prefer Maui but Oahu is fantastic as well, especially the North Shore. my recommends are as follows:
1) do your research about Pearl Harbor. when we went 10 years ago unless you paid a company for a tour package you had to get there super early to get in line for your FREE ticket. we got there at maybe, 8:30 and still had to wait over 2 hours for our boat to leave. people who got there 30 minutes after us were waiting 5-6 hours. :o
not sure how the National Park Service is dispersing tickets these days.

2) if you like shrimp you have to visit Giovanni's White Shrimp Truck on the North Shore: http://www.giovannisshrimptruck.com/

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:33 pm

we prefer Maui
Same here. Oahu’s too crowded for my taste, though still beautiful.

Rylan

Travel Thread

Postby Rylan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:36 pm

Was in Jackson Hole this past January, and it is without a doubt one of the prettiest areas I have ever seen. Even in the snow covered black and white, it was amazing. Toured a bit of the Tetons and went north into Montana for the Yellowstone Gate and went around Yellowstone a bit. Going back in the summer to see it in color and that is super exciting.

Also in the past year I had spent about 6 weeks in Miami. Great place to visit. Would never want to live there.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Was in Jackson Hole this past January, and it is without a doubt one of the prettiest areas I have ever seen. Even in the snow covered black and white, it was amazing. Toured a bit of the Tetons and went north into Montana for the Yellowstone Gate and went around Yellowstone a bit. Going back in the summer to see it in color and that is super exciting.

Also in the past year I had spent about 6 weeks in Miami. Great place to visit. Would never want to live there.
How'd you get around the Tetons and Yellowstone? I'd imagine this time of year the snow is up to your ears.

It's an amazing area in the summer. Hard to pick a good time. During the peak season, it's overcrowded. Off season into September, you start getting the snow.