Travel Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:14 pm

I stayed near the inner harbor a year or two ago. I walked quite a bit and never really felt like I was in any danger in that area. Camden yards was great. Definitely a must see if the orioles are in town. There’s also a cool little neighborhood that has Clavel (Mexican place) and a speakeasy called WC Harlan’s. Both were super enjoyable. I took an Uber there and back.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:15 pm

Have most cities gone downhill?

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:15 pm

Don’t know about most, but Philly has had a lot of issues these past few years. Moreso than usual, I mean.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:14 pm

Don’t know about most, but Philly has had a lot of issues these past few years. Moreso than usual, I mean.
Yeah, I think it's largely a byproduct of covid and not as many commuters coming into the city for a while.

On another note, I say this as an avid proponent of legalization, but I hate what it's done to places like NYC and Boston. Walking through and around Times Square and the Theater District last month, I was bombarded by weed smoke, people openly selling it on the street, etc.

It just feels like a lot of street riff raff (not necessarily violent) have the run of a lot of cities now, even in areas that were previously pretty nice.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:20 pm

In Lisbon, the bit between Rossio Square and the river is congested with tourists. I ventured out one night to find energy drinks for the morning, and no less than probably 9 times I had a guy come up to me: "Cocaine? Hashish? Marijuana?" Each of them saying all three in the same order, every time.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:23 pm

In Lisbon, the bit between Rossio Square and the river is congested with tourists. I ventured out one night to find energy drinks for the morning, and no less than probably 9 times I had a guy come up to me: "Cocaine? Hashish? Marijuana?" Each of them saying all three in the same order, every time.
So, which did you buy?

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:29 pm

In the past few years, I’ve visited DC, Chicago, San Francisco, LA, Vegas, London, and Paris. Aside from a larger than usual homeless population on the west coast, they just felt like normal cities to me. We stuck to touristy spots for the most part but even walking past homeless encampments I never felt unsafe. And unfortunately I wasn’t offered drugs. YMMV.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:30 pm

And unfortunately I wasn’t offered drugs. YMMV.
They know a narc when they see one…

Lemon Berry Lobster

Travel Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:35 pm

narcoe

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:36 pm

Hey I’m with it. I’m hip.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:16 pm

Franchise

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:00 pm

friends and I are doing a week long yacht trip along the coast of Croatia (Split to Dubrovnik) in August. While I’m there I figured I’d spend a couple days in Vienna and on the way back I can’t avoid a long layover so I’ll be spending 20 hours in Copenhagen

Gonna be a blast

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:24 am

Getting pulled for “Random screening” and not having someone there to actually do it right away is one of the great perks of TSA Precheck and a fabulous way to start your day!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:53 am

Any recommendations on where to stay Amsterdam?

We'll have one evening there and flyout the next day. I know the fun zone in Amsterdam, but I'm more interested in seeing other parts of the city and just having a nice walk around.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:52 pm

I don't know where to stay, but I did have a YT video recommended to me the other day that indicated Amsterdam is planning a new purpose-built high rise red light district - branded an "erotic centre" - that will move those shenanigans outside of the historic part of town. So that's neat.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 03, 2023 9:41 am

Hot dog combo in flight meal, free MCE/P+ for Executive cardholders, and **** churros for dessert.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 03, 2023 9:42 am

Welcome to Costco Airlines, I love you.

The U

Travel Thread

Postby The U » Thu May 04, 2023 12:40 pm

I don't know where to stay, but I did have a YT video recommended to me the other day that indicated Amsterdam is planning a new purpose-built high rise red light district - branded an "erotic centre" - that will move those shenanigans outside of the historic part of town. So that's neat.
The drunk Brits are the problem, really. They walk around the RLD and other areas and just take it over. Signing, yelling, drunk off their ass, etc.. I’m all for a good time but it’s those groups that ruin it for everyone else.

The U

Travel Thread

Postby The U » Thu May 04, 2023 12:50 pm

We'll have one evening there and flyout the next day. I know the fun zone in Amsterdam, but I'm more interested in seeing other parts of the city and just having a nice walk around.
I’ve been to Amsterdam many times and will be heading over there again for work at the end of June. I always stay at the Renaissance Amsterdam. Great location in terms of distance to main train station and from the hotel you can walk to everything. If you want to get away from the craziness I would suggest staying closer to the Amsterdam Marriott near Vondelpark and the Van Gogh Museum. It’s more leafy and quiet over there. There are plenty of areas around the city that are chill and nice to walk around….Jordaan is another nice neighborhood.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 04, 2023 12:53 pm

Leaving for Punta Cana super early Saturday morning. Can't wait.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu May 04, 2023 12:58 pm

I went there for my 40th as well. Bittersweet as we watched the Steelers lose to the Patriots in the AFCCG.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 04, 2023 1:00 pm

I went there for my 40th as well. Bittersweet as we watched the Steelers lose to the Patriots in the AFCCG.
There has never been a more yinzer post.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 04, 2023 1:02 pm

YOU ARE TO BLAME FOR THAT?!

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 04, 2023 1:08 pm

There has never been a more yinzer post.
Lol peak yinzer. :lol:

count2infinity

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu May 04, 2023 1:15 pm

I’ve been to Amsterdam many times and will be heading over there again for work at the end of June. I always stay at the Renaissance Amsterdam. Great location in terms of distance to main train station and from the hotel you can walk to everything. If you want to get away from the craziness I would suggest staying closer to the Amsterdam Marriott near Vondelpark and the Van Gogh Museum. It’s more leafy and quiet over there. There are plenty of areas around the city that are chill and nice to walk around….Jordaan is another nice neighborhood.
Thanks. I actually ended up booking a hotel pretty much one block away from the Marriott, so pretty much right on where you were suggesting. We're only there for the one night, so being next to a nice park and being able to walk into the city is ideal. Seems like we got a nice spot where we're at.