Travel Thread

pens9192

Travel Thread

Postby pens9192 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:00 pm

You have to use your own device for Southwest’s entertainment but they don’t (I could be wrong) have in-seat power, so charge up before flying, bring a battery pack, or sleep/read for five hours.

pens9192

Travel Thread

Postby pens9192 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:02 pm

I get a kick out of the notion that we live in a country that has a 10-hour non-stop domestic route.
I thought JFK-HNL was 11-12 hours?

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:04 pm

I get a kick out of the notion that we live in a country that has a 10-hour non-stop domestic route.
I thought JFK-HNL was 11-12 hours?
It definitely is...

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:59 pm

Snow on Maui today. WHAT THE hell is going on with Global Waming? Please come back fast, we need you!

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:00 pm

Hate to break it to you, but there’s snow on Maui year round. Haleakala is above the clouds.

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:01 pm

;)

Rylan

Travel Thread

Postby Rylan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:07 pm

Was in Jackson Hole this past January, and it is without a doubt one of the prettiest areas I have ever seen. Even in the snow covered black and white, it was amazing. Toured a bit of the Tetons and went north into Montana for the Yellowstone Gate and went around Yellowstone a bit. Going back in the summer to see it in color and that is super exciting.

Also in the past year I had spent about 6 weeks in Miami. Great place to visit. Would never want to live there.
How'd you get around the Tetons and Yellowstone? I'd imagine this time of year the snow is up to your ears.

It's an amazing area in the summer. Hard to pick a good time. During the peak season, it's overcrowded. Off season into September, you start getting the snow.
The Tetons we didn't hike in. That's what we are doing in the summer when I visit again. It was a lot of driving around. (My GF is a Jackson local)

Yellowstone it was actually pretty warm and we were able to walk around a bit. Didn't stray too far though, but we would stop at some of her favorite places and walk for a bit. I am still amazed at just how many bison we saw.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 am

Anyone have any good different ideas for something to do in Pittsburgh for a day on Friday with kids. Trying to find something different than the childrens/science museums, zoo, aquariam, bird sanct, etc...

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:42 am

How old? If they're into arcades Games N'At or Victory Pointe are lots of fun. Of course there's also Dave n Busters in the Waterfront but I'd recommend one of the other two places instead. If you don't mind going outside of the city, Urban Air in Cranberry is awesome. Obviously they have trampolines but there's also cool stuff like a rock climbing wall, sky coaster, laser tag, foam pit. Man I want to go to Urban Air now. Makes me wish I went to Discovery Zone when I was a kid

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:52 am

How old? If they're into arcades Games N'At or Victory Pointe are lots of fun. Of course there's also Dave n Busters in the Waterfront but I'd recommend one of the other two places instead. If you don't mind going outside of the city, Urban Air in Cranberry is awesome. Obviously they have trampolines but there's also cool stuff like a rock climbing wall, sky coaster, laser tag, foam pit. Man I want to go to Urban Air now. Makes me wish I went to Discovery Zone when I was a kid
I've done trampoline park twice already this year, I'm done. Those arcades are a great idea, but they don't open until 5 on friday. Ages 7-11. I'm thinking Rangos Giant theater and Lego movie 2 is playing, so that may work. Just wanted to try and do something different.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:17 pm

I'll be in Charleston, SC for a week in late March. Actually, I'll be in "North Charleston" unfortunately which looks like it's about a 20 minute drive to downtown. I'm definitely willing to drive into the city to experience it. Any suggestions?

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:22 pm

If you're into history, Fort Sumter and the U.S.S. Yorktown will eat up a day or so. You can take a boat from the city market, which is pretty cool to walk through. It's a bit touristy, but whatevs. I'll look into food options for you. Things close/reopen so much, it's hard to keep up.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:26 pm

I absolutely adore touring a plantation when we are down in Charleston. Some are more grand than others, but I haven't had a bad experience yet.

We also enjoyed the Nathaniel Russell house tour very much.
https://www.historiccharleston.org/hous ... ell-house/

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:28 pm

I'll be in Charleston, SC for a week in late March. Actually, I'll be in "North Charleston" unfortunately which looks like it's about a 20 minute drive to downtown. I'm definitely willing to drive into the city to experience it. Any suggestions?
My family lives in N Charleston, its not a bad drive at all.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:31 pm

If you're into history, Fort Sumter and the U.S.S. Yorktown will eat up a day or so. You can take a boat from the city market, which is pretty cool to walk through. It's a bit touristy, but whatevs. I'll look into food options for you. Things close/reopen so much, it's hard to keep up.
That sounds awesome but unfortunately I'm there for a conference so I don't believe I'll be able to get to go out exploring until around 5 pm.
My family lives in N Charleston, its not a bad drive at all.
Awesome. I've never been and have heard such great things about the city. I was pretty bummed when I realized the event wasn't taking place downtown.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:37 pm

I have never been to Charleston, but it is regarded as one of the best food destinations in the country. Husk, McCrady's, FIG, Rodney Scott's BBQ, Hominy Grill.... everything is good there, apparently.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:38 pm

other ideas that we really had fun doing:

Carriage ride downtown
Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon
Sumpter and Yorktown were awesome like DG said
Westbrook and Charles Town Fermantory
Aquarium for a rainy day
Farmers Market on Saturday at Marion Sq
Charles Towne Landing

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:28 am

Since you will be there in the evening, I recommend a good meal (anything tif recommended is good) and perhaps a ghost tour. It's not a jump-scare type deal, just a walking tour of the city with historical ghost stories.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:06 am

Add Battery Point, Magnolia Plantation, and Boone Hall Plantation to the list of attractions worth seeing. It's really hard to pick restaurants in Charleston because they're all good. Halls Chophouse, Magnolias, Oak Steakhouse, Hank's Seafood, and The Palmetto Café are all excellent higher end places. Home Team BBQ has three locations in the area and they're all great. If you want multiple shovels of oysters (which will be in season for local sourcing while you're there) then the correct choice is to head to Bowens Island.

If you want the full Dickie Dunn Navy experience I can also recommend the Charleston NWS Commissary and NEX in Goose Creek, Blu Gorilla Tattoo on a sketchy part of Meeting Street Rd, passing the **** out in Henry's, and striking out with coeds from College of Charleston.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:45 am

You guys are awesome. Thank you all.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:11 pm

You might need to tack a few days on the trip to get all of this in. :lol:

Henry's man...a long time ago, I had a very long night there. Good times lol.

The Rooftop Bar at Vendue Inn used to be pretty cool, too. It was one of the first like it in Charleston, and then the copycats came and partially blocked their view. So they added a second rooftop, to block the copycats. It's like the Cold War arms race, but with architects and hipster bartenders. :lol:

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Travel Thread

Postby iamjs » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:23 pm

I've done trampoline park twice already this year, I'm done. Those arcades are a great idea, but they don't open until 5 on friday. Ages 7-11. I'm thinking Rangos Giant theater and Lego movie 2 is playing, so that may work. Just wanted to try and do something different.
I might be a little late to the party, but if you're thinking arcade you might want to check out this place in Hopewell: https://www.pinballpa.com/

$40 covers 2 adults and 2 kids gets two hours with over 400 pinball and video games. I want to say there's a skeeball thing in back along with one of those puck bowling games.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:31 pm

I might be a little late to the party, but if you're thinking arcade you might want to check out this place in Hopewell: https://www.pinballpa.com/

$40 covers 2 adults and 2 kids gets two hours with over 400 pinball and video games. I want to say there's a skeeball thing in back along with one of those puck bowling games.
Thanks! Looks like the PPG ice rink will be open until March, so that's the plan, but this will be a great rainy day backup.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:45 pm

if you are going with family, Say Charleston! does a neat walking tour and she's a professional photographer so you do the tour and she takes some nicely staged photos around the city (http://www.tours-charleston.com/index2.php#!/home)

Husk was as good as advertised, however I thought FIG was more enjoyable. Hominy Grill was tasty for breakfast. Callie's Hot Little Biscuit was excellent. Big fan of Darling Oyster Bar

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Travel Thread

Postby iamjs » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:00 pm

If you want the full Dickie Dunn Navy experience I can also recommend the Charleston NWS Commissary and NEX in Goose Creek, Blu Gorilla Tattoo on a sketchy part of Meeting Street Rd, passing the **** out in Henry's, and striking out with coeds from College of Charleston.
Blu Gorilla Tattoo may not have been around when I was stationed in Charleston, but I think there was another tattoo shop in that building. Henry's sounds familiar, but I can't seem to find it on Google Maps.

Aside from those two, I think I have completed the Dickie Dunn Navy experience.