Travel Thread

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:52 pm

what is there to see in toronto
When are you going?
late april early may

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:57 pm

Good, you'll get to see the Stanley Cup Champions display at the HHoF!

It's a weird experience, you walk into what is basically a shopping center/office building lobby and go downstairs through the food court to enter. Wander through all these displays and then work your way to the grand old building that you see from outside.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:00 pm

We just booked our Disney trip for July and are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Bring it on, haters.
We stayed there shortly after it first opened. As LITT mentioned the park transport is a bit longer, but in my opinion its completely worth it. Absolutely loved Animal Kingdom Lodge. The rooms, the architecture, the pool, having the African wildlife right outside your room. Was incredible. I'm sure the menu has changed over the years, but Boma-Flavors of Africa was **** fantastic. I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip.
:thumb: Really looking forward to AKL. And the bus system can't be any worse than All Star Music. That was horrendous. Disney really should warn you that the busses are shared with Movies and Sports. And also that you'll likely be staying with large tour groups and cheerleaders.

We've also stayed at Coronado Springs (meh) and Port Orleans Riverside (loved it). The decision to spring for AKL was last minute but I think it was the right one.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Re: Toronto -- If the weather is nice, walking around the University of Toronto and the college district is nice. We were in the city during their "Doors Open" weekend, which was a bonus.

Re: Disney -- We are headed there for four days in October. My wife is a certified Disney freak, which I actually appreciate because if you have a good planner that knows how the parks work, you will have a lot more fun (and often for less money). The last time we were there, I was struck by how utterly terrible tour groups from certain countries were. Chinese, Brazilian, and Indian tour groups to a lesser extent were all terribly rude.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Not surprised at all that crowds of brown people are upsetting to you. ;)

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:10 pm

:lol:

Outside of one day, we actually had good luck with the Disney buses at Art of Animation.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Outside of one day, we actually had good luck with the Disney buses at Art of Animation.
Art of Animation and Pop Century do not share busses with other value resorts like Music/Sports/Movies. I would consider staying at AoA or Pop Century because of that, but no way in hell would I return to the other values. Also, I fear that Animal Kingdom Lodge will make me annoyingly snobby about other resorts.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Not surprised at all that crowds of brown people are upsetting to you. ;)
lol, that tour group thing is one fact that transcends all of that.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:15 pm

Art of Animation and Pop Century do not share busses with other value resorts like Music/Sports/Movies. I would consider staying at AoA or Pop Century because of that, but no way in hell would I return to the other values. Also, I fear that Animal Kingdom Lodge will make me annoyingly snobby about other resorts.
Ah, you're right, I forgot (because Pop Century is literally right next door). SUCKS TO BE YOU, FOOL.

Silentom

Travel Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:16 pm

I like Old Key West and Saratoga Springs.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Our trip last year was filled with Quinceanera groups from Argentina and Chile. Hundreds of teenage girls moping through Epcot and Universal, looking at phones, wearing the same color t-shirt or poncho. :lol:

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Source of the postwearing the same color t-shirt or poncho. :lol:
You just described 99.9999% of the visitors at Disney World.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:21 pm

I don't mind the tour groups as much as the fat people riding scooters. You are not handicapped. You are fat.

Silentom

Travel Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:22 pm

POTY.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Yeah, it's definitely not just overweight people riding those scooters. Reading this stuff makes me happy that I won't be going back for another 5+ years.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:24 pm

Yeah. 2x if we can include the same people at Wal-Mart.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:28 pm

imo just walk around Toronto because it is just an interesting and yuge city in general

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:32 pm

Yeah, it's definitely not just overweight people riding those scooters. Reading this stuff makes me happy that I won't be going back for another 5+ years.
Of course not. And to be clear, I have absolutely no problem moving out of the way for an elderly or disabled person riding a scooter. Though, I suppose I can never be sure if the person has a disability that isn't immediately visible or if they're just lazy.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Of course not. And to be clear, I have absolutely no problem moving out of the way for an elderly or disabled person riding a scooter. Though, I suppose I can never be sure if the person has a disability that isn't immediately visible or if they're just lazy.
Too late. I'm now picturing you yelling at the scooter squads while wearing Mickey ears. :D

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Anytime I am in Toronto, I make it a mission to stop by the Dimpflmeier Bakery. They sell yuge loafs of rye bread that I love to tote across the border and have the border guards' jaws drop. It's also very delicious, and wish I could make the bread myself.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:47 pm

Too late. I'm now picturing you yelling at the scooter squads while wearing Mickey ears. :D
:lol: The nice part is scooters/wheelchairs don't get a front of the line pass at Disney. They either navigate the queue with everybody else or they get receive a return time at the front, essentially a virtual line.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:49 pm

That must've changed. My MIL (scooter menace) was brought to the front of the line, but that was several years ago.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:53 pm

I don't recall how it worked in the parks, but scooter people got onto the buses first, and if they had a big enough family, it meant that we'd basically be waiting for the next bus in line.

As for waiting, we went last October. Being able to modify your FastPass stuff on the fly with the Disney app was a huge benefit, and the only ride we waited more than 20 minutes for was that garbage Winnie the Pooh ride. We waited approximately 15 seconds for Soarin.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:53 pm

That must've changed. My MIL (scooter menace) was brought to the front of the line, but that was several years ago.
They changed their policies in 2016 since people were taking advantage of it. It got so bad that guests were hiring locals in wheelchairs to come to the parks with them so they could skip the lines.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:42 am

I don't mind the tour groups as much as the fat people riding scooters. You are not handicapped. You are fat.
many years ago my father broke his ankle and after he got out of the rehab home (he was probably 80 at the time) we got him one of those mobility scooters. worst mistake we ever made because he didn't do his physical therapy like he should have and as a result, never really walked again.