Travel Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:26 pm

F to B? Put your running shoes on.
Woof. Made it.

Off the plane at 2:05, made it to my gate at 2:16. Caught my breath and got on. Gate closed at 2:20.

I gotta start running again.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:03 pm

god damn, that's a tight turnaround

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:10 pm

F to B? Put your running shoes on.
Woof. Made it.

Off the plane at 2:05, made it to my gate at 2:16. Caught my breath and got on. Gate closed at 2:20.

I gotta start running again.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:56 pm

Me made an international connection once where they were announcing the final boarding while we were still like 10 gates away. RUN!!!

They saw us sprinting and held the door for us. We were the last to board a 747-8, and our seats were in the second-last row. So it took us almost as long to get from the cabin door to our seats as it did to get down the corridor to the gate. haha.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:30 pm

I've only ever had to run for a gate twice. Once when an AA agent at PHL spent 30 minutes arguing with me about the cutoff for checking a bag (I was right, he was wrong; bag made it onto the plane just fine), and another time in Atlanta where I ran ahead and stalled the gate agent while my wife walked most of the way (exercise-induced asthma). Fun times, but at least the gate agent was very nice and held it for her.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:10 pm

They are aware you're coming, you don't have to sprint. Be hurried and purposeful but you don't have to run.

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:17 pm

Due to maintenance issues, I had to sprint 7-8 gates in SLC for my flight to Puerto Vallarta last year. If I missed it, I was staying the night in SLC. In the old SLC, it would have been easy. But they re-did the terminals 7-8 years ago and now it resembles Detroit in that those amount of gates are like in miles. They were practically pushing me onto the plane so they could close the door. But my best one was getting from B to F at MSP in less than 10 minutes after some customs crap getting out of Toronto back in 2013. That was about the time I realized that I needed to get myself in better shape.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:41 pm

They are aware you're coming, you don't have to sprint. Be hurried and purposeful but you don't have to run.
It was crazy busy in the terminal, and I didn’t want to take the change. Legit had no idea if the gate was even open until i got there.

mac5155

Travel Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:10 am

And while you're there, go find one of the Hard Eight BBQ locations. Thank me later.
I'm late to the party but to this day the best BBQ I've ever eaten.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:37 pm

I'm taking my 10 year old to the game on Sunday for the Jagr ceremony. I think we're going to stop at the Flight 93 memorial on the way back Monday morning. I've never been and have been meaning to for a while. Will also give us 2.5 hours in the car to decompress/talk about it with her before we get home.

Nuge

Travel Thread

Postby Nuge » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:03 pm

I'm taking my 10 year old to the game on Sunday for the Jagr ceremony. I think we're going to stop at the Flight 93 memorial on the way back Monday morning. I've never been and have been meaning to for a while. Will also give us 2.5 hours in the car to decompress/talk about it with her before we get home.
I was there several years ago before they put in the permanant memorial. It was nice then. I've been meaning to get back down there again.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:58 pm

It's exceptional.

Walk it as a loop, you can start at the museum or the site.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:38 am

headed to PNW (Seattle, Bellingham, Vancouver) tomorrow AM. hit me with the food recommendations as well as stuff to do.
already seeing the Pens in Vancouver on the 27th and Seattle on the 29th. funny, back in November when I bought the tickets, it seemed like such a good idea......
touring Climate Pledge Arena on 2/21. other than that, just floating free. in Bellingham from 2/16-2/23 then to Vancouver from 2/23-2/28 and then a few days in downtown Seattle before leaving 3/2
this trip is to celebrate my SO's 50th birthday.
is it @Kaiser that's either from that area or currently lives there?
we have a few friends in the area but would love to here other's recommendations.
TIA

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:05 am

When I was in Vancouver in ‘22, I took a tour bus trip to Whistler that had some great sights. That was in August and I’d imagine with snow around, it might look even better. Of course, it could also be very cold and not as navigable. Also, have lunch at the Granville Island Public Market. If you’re familiar with Philly and know the Reading Terminal Market, it’s very similar. Get dessert at the bakery they have there and thank me later.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:17 pm

Seattle is cool, I like it a lot. We were planning on moving there before the SF thing happened. Been there probably 10 times or more between work and leisure.

Where are you staying?

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:11 pm

Seattle is cool, I like it a lot. We were planning on moving there before the SF thing happened. Been there probably 10 times or more between work and leisure.

Where are you staying?
most of our time will be in Bellingham. we're checking it out as a potential retirement city. when we're in downtown Seattle, we'll be at the Hilton. they had a good deal on Executive Floor rooms that also give us access to the Executive lounge (free drinks and munchies)

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:37 pm

Okay you're right in the thick of it. Pike Place is cool, obviously; you can swing by and say hi to my friends at ChefSteps. Belltown and Capitol Hill are cool neighborhoods. We love the Museum of Pop Culture, which does not appear to be well-liked by locals; they have frequent exhibit rotations, so check what they have going on. There's a really good Asian art museum in the park by Lake Union, I think Bruce and Brandon Lee are buried near there.

The Independent Pizzeria is out towards that art museum, too. We went to a place called Rocco's or Rocky's or something like that in Belltown that was good, more of a neighborhood pizza-centric pub. One of my favorite restaurants anywhere is called Cascina Spinasse, maybe a mile from your hotel. International District/Chinatown has amazing eats, just pick a door.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:13 pm

One of my favorite restaurants anywhere is called Cascina Spinasse, maybe a mile from your hotel.
just checked their menu. looks incredible!

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:06 pm

My youngest couldn't read yet when we went, so I had to read the signs. I barely made it. It's always going to be a raw nerve.

Nuge

Travel Thread

Postby Nuge » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:28 pm

I wasn’t super impressed with Seattle but I was confined to just the downtown area. Pike place was ok. We went to a mariners game and that was cool. I remember a ton of homeless people there. Ate at the pink door and it was excellent. I would like to go back and see some stuff that’s out of town.

Kaiser

Travel Thread

Postby Kaiser » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:07 pm

headed to PNW (Seattle, Bellingham, Vancouver) tomorrow AM. hit me with the food recommendations as well as stuff to do.
already seeing the Pens in Vancouver on the 27th and Seattle on the 29th. funny, back in November when I bought the tickets, it seemed like such a good idea......
touring Climate Pledge Arena on 2/21. other than that, just floating free. in Bellingham from 2/16-2/23 then to Vancouver from 2/23-2/28 and then a few days in downtown Seattle before leaving 3/2
this trip is to celebrate my SO's 50th birthday.
is it @Kaiser that's either from that area or currently lives there?
we have a few friends in the area but would love to here other's recommendations.
TIA
Don't venture south of Seattle proper, there is nothing of note unless you're going to Quinault or Mt. Rainier. Have a breakfast at Biscuit B!tch. Don't leave anything visibly valuable in your car. Stop by Sosio's in pike place and get yourself an OMG peach.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:00 pm

Don't venture south of Seattle proper, there is nothing of note unless you're going to Quinault or Mt. Rainier. Have a breakfast at Biscuit B!tch. Don't leave anything visibly valuable in your car. Stop by Sosio's in pike place and get yourself an OMG peach.
Appreciated. The only time we’ll be south of downtown is our last night when we’ll stay at the Hilton near the airport. I like to do that to save on a day of rental car.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:22 pm

TIL that your passport needs to not be within 6 months of expiration to travel to most countries. That said, there is an exemption list: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files ... 0131_0.pdf

thank absolute **** Colombia is on there because I didn’t know this was a thing (I fly there next Saturday to meet my gf’s family). I had just assumed that it would be usable up until its expiration which feels like a reasonable assumption. Not sure why this exists but I got super lucky

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:43 pm

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it looks like that list shows exemptions for people traveling to the United States from those countries. Not to those countries from the United States. (It's Customs and Border Patrol, not State Department) Colombia does indeed have a six-month rule, but I don't know if they honor any exemptions.

The rules exists as a caution/buffer in case of unforeseen emergencies that extend your stay.

We* were almost turned away from entering the EU in 2014 because of this rule. International visitors have to have a valid passport that covers 90 days beyond their planned stay, and Mrs Tif's passport expired 87 days after our arrival. We had to show we already had pre-paid return travel, and all our arrangements were made and phone numbers of Air BnBs/hotels were recorded, etc, and cooler heads prevailed. But it was a nerve-wracking 20 minutes at Frankfurt passport control.

* When I say 'we', I mean 'Mrs Tif'. We planned that whole trip around getting reservations at a particular restaurant in San Sebastián, and if they weren't gonna let her into Spain (via Germany) I had every intention of honoring that reservation myself.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:50 pm

It looks like that list shows exemptions for people traveling to the United States from those countries. Not to those countries from the United States. (It's Customs and Border Patrol, not State Department) Colombia does indeed have a six-month rule, but I don't know if they honor any exemptions.
from my understanding it’s an “agreement” aka it goes both ways. I verified this by looking at the Colombia specific page from the state department’s site: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... ombia.html
PASSPORT VALIDITY:

Must be valid at the time of entry and for the duration of stay.

here’s what it looks like for a country that doesn’t have the agreement: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... China.html
PASSPORT VALIDITY:

Six months