Travel Thread

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Diggerland would have been excellent for us 5-6 years ago. Really cool.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:27 pm

@NTP66 and others: how does one eat/shop in Sea Pines without staying there?

We're here for a few days sans kids and want to ride bikes to eat inside the gates. When we were here last year, we were given gate passes by the condo owner, but no freebies at this particular condo. It looks like you even have to pay to get a bike pass for the gate.

Can you bypass on the beach?

slappybrown

Travel Thread

Postby slappybrown » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Dickie Dunn's Irrefutable Airport Rankings:

1.) Miami - big, bright, beautiful, great food options, lots of hot women
2.) Las Vegas - good food options, feels very open, very well run for the amount of traffic
3.) San Francisco - was only there for a redeye, but was nice, clean, easily accessible
4.) Pittsburgh - as someone who doesn't like crowds the ghost town feeling appeals to me (also a yinzer homer)
5.) Tampa - only flew into here, but it was nice and clean and easy to navigate
6.) Reagan - nice airport, good food options, pretty timely given the amount of traffic
7.) Gainesville - tiny airports can be awesome, great people working there, rental car dude stayed until 2 AM waiting for my delayed flight
8.) Charleston - bigger than Gainesville, but the same sentiment, smaller airports lack amenities but have their own appeal
9.) Dallas/Fort Worth - eh it's fine, didn't leave much of an impression either way
10.) Charlotte - used to be a fan, but now its completely overcrowded; never a gate for when your flight lands and no flights leave on time
11.) Atlanta - more hectic than other large airports, lots of queue lines that hang out into the main flow of traffic
12.) O'Hare - the monumental appeal of being able to eat at Frontera Tortas is countered by shitass weather that screws everything up
13.) Jacksonville - similar in feel to Pittsburgh International except the in terminal food options blow
14.) Houston (Bush) - had a 7 hour layover here and don't really ever want to go back
15.) Los Angeles - people working there were d-bags
16.) Benito Juarez - working to be improved but is definitely an older airport; flights never leave on time because Mexico
17.) Orlando - too many damn kids, hate the Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 security lines
18.) Logan - extremely hectic to get into and out of the airport; had a Masshole rear-end me and drive off as I was leaving
19.) Cancun - Benito Juarez but smaller
20.) LaGuardia - never gone through JFK but in general NYC deserves better airports
21.) Dulles - the split terminals is a massive pain in the ass and in general this place sucks
22.) Philadelphia - the airport and city deserve each other
23.) Cleveland - the airport and city deserve each other
pretty reasonable ranking

Most any Florida airport is good imo and I don't even mind ORL they are pros. RSW is good as well. I might even put Tampa in the one spot.

Any list that has LGA and PHL in the bottom 5 is doing it right, hell on Earth

Ohare is better than people think it is, and the weather is the real culprit. I've had more flights cancelled out ORD than any other airport but Dammit I respect them

Denver airport is weird as f.shadonthearlyaughtsinternetspreadingNWOpropaganaonusenet.biz but is, however, good

I shall propose to you a counter list tomorrow DD. Please check This thread regularly

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:13 pm

I’ve driven in all kinds of Pittsburgh traffic, and I’ll take it 9/10 vs the Philadelphia traffic I just drove through today. As if the city couldn’t suck balls any more.
Philly traffic is bad enough, and then you add the Jersey drivers and it goes to another level of ****.
Hey!

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:27 pm

Been to too many airports to rank but TPA is probably my favorite. Could do much worse than PIT for a hometown base.

Houston Hobby is one of my favorites. If going downtown it is the only way to go.

I like a lot of the big ones most people don’t like LAX, ORD, JFK because I am an airplane geek.

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:40 pm

Miami at number 1? Not for connections. MIAis squarely in the "just keep slapping on terminals" camp of airport construction, along with places like JFK and LAX. When it comes to ranking airports, I think there'd need to be a distinction between whether we're talking about airports from a hub perspective or from an O&D (origin and destination) perspective. Something that makes an airport a good place for O&D traffic might make an airport absolutely horrible as a hub. For example, I've only arrived and departed at MIA, and in that capacity I really appreciated that traffic runs around the entire inside of the giant roughly-semicircular terminal, so I found it really easy to get down to the curb and grab a taxi. But if one is connecting through MIA, it would be a serious PITA (as well as a seriously long way to go), if for example your flight arrives at a gate at the north terminal and your next flight leaves at a gate at the opposite south terminal. You'd have to hump around the entire semicircle. For hub airports, people may hate on ATL, but its "satellite linear concourses connected by a train" setup makes it a relatively short distance from any given gate to any other given gate. Certainly shorter than traveling the whole way around MIA. Same goes for DEN, which has a similar terminal layout to ATL. (I also think DEN has the best runway layout of any major airport.) It's difficult to design an airport that is simultaneously great at both roles.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:41 pm

Detroit was an absolute dodint to have a connection through

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:34 am

@NTP66 and others: how does one eat/shop in Sea Pines without staying there?

We're here for a few days sans kids and want to ride bikes to eat inside the gates. When we were here last year, we were given gate passes by the condo owner, but no freebies at this particular condo. It looks like you even have to pay to get a bike pass for the gate.

Can you bypass on the beach?
I think that you would still pay the $6 gate fee to enter Sea Pines on a bike, but yeah, if you ride down the beach, you can definitely bypass the gates, and just turn back onto N Sea Pines Drive. It might be worth calling them ahead of time to be sure about the passes: 843-671-1343

Have fun! We're skipping Hilton Head this year, but will probably be there sometime next summer.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:39 am

I’ve driven in all kinds of Pittsburgh traffic, and I’ll take it 9/10 vs the Philadelphia traffic I just drove through today. As if the city couldn’t suck balls any more.
Philly traffic is bad enough, and then you add the Jersey drivers and it goes to another level of ****.
Hey!
This is a turn signal:

This is what the right lane looks like:

:fist:

Sam's Drunk Dog

Travel Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:38 am

The real culprits are the people that drive slow in the middle lane instead of moving into the right. And because everyone is conditioned to not pass on the right, the people going slightly faster clog up the left lane while passing them.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:42 am

Source of the post And because everyone is conditioned to not pass on the right
@meow and his brethren.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Travel Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:49 am

Source of the post And because everyone is conditioned to not pass on the right
@meow and his brethren.
We should bring back public executions and the guillotine for people that pass on the right when they could just as easily pass on the left.
Reading comprehension, NTP. READING. COMPREHENSION.

meow

Travel Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:59 am

The real culprits are the people that drive slow in the middle lane instead of moving into the right. And because everyone is conditioned to not pass on the right, the people going slightly faster clog up the left lane while passing them.
This is incorrect. The left lane is the passing lane. The middle lane is the travel lane. The right lane is for tractor trailers, and for vehicles entering and exiting the freeway.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:34 am

This is incorrect. The left lane is the passing lane. The middle lane is the travel lane. The right lane is for tractor trailers, and for vehicles entering and exiting the freeway.
If you are driving 55 in a 65 and you are in the middle lane, you are doing it wrong. It absolutely clogs everything up. If you are driving 65, that's fine. People driving abnormally slow in the middle lane is what causes road rage and people flying up the right side trying to get around the inevitable car that is also clogging up the left lane at 60 mph.

I get the impression that meow is a very slow driver IRL.

meow

Travel Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:12 am

Traffic problems are caused by asshats going from lane to lane because they want to be going 68 when the fast lane is going 65. A lane puttering along at the speed limit isn't some crime against humanity.

No one drives 10 mph under the speed limit in the middle lane. And if you did see it, it is an outlier.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:16 am

If you're not going at least 5 over whoever you're passing, you have no business passing.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:22 am

No one drives 10 mph under the speed limit in the middle lane. And if you did see it, it is an outlier.
I see it all the time on the Pennsylvania Turnpike between KoP and the NJ border. Also happens all the time on the Jersey turnpike.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:25 am

The NJTP is the only good part of NJ. 6 lanes most of the way to NYC is worth its weight in gold.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 am

Traffic problems are caused by asshats going from lane to lane because they want to be going 68 when the fast lane is going 65. A lane puttering along at the speed limit isn't some crime against humanity.

a few weeks ago, shaf had some good takes about this phenomenon on the PA turnpike

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 am

or was it ned that had some good takes on the turnpike phenomenon, I cant remember. it is easy to confuse shaf and ned sometimes

meow

Travel Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:43 am

I see it all the time on the Pennsylvania Turnpike between KoP and the NJ border. Also happens all the time on the Jersey turnpike.
Don't form opinions based on America's armpit

Gabe

Travel Thread

Postby Gabe » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:23 am

Detroit was an absolute dodint to have a connection through
This. I used to fly to Canton, OH on business quite a bit. I'd have to make the connection in Detroit. Every time, I'd have to make that long run in that stupid tunnel with the psychedelic lights.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:38 am

It’s you Pennsy bastids doing 65 in the left lane that gum everything up. 75+ in the left lane or GTFO!

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:33 pm

The NJTP is the only good part of NJ. 6 lanes most of the way to NYC is worth its weight in gold.
:thumb: :thumb:

New Jersey is an example of a state that can get infrastructure projects done well. I could not believe how quickly they expanded the car/truck lanes another 30+ miles south to past the PA Turnpike exit. When we used to drive from Lancaster to the Hudson Valley, we used to dread the NJTP when it was three lanes in each direction because the volume was unbearable. Not to mention the merge of the car/truck lanes coming back southbound. Now, that's our favorite part of the trip because you just fly in both directions. This was a MASSIVE infrastructure project that it felt like they finished in two years.

Meanwhile, in Pennsylvania, they spent five plus years adding a third lane to 202 in Chester County, opened it, and promptly closed it again for construction where it still stands today. **** PennDOT.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:34 pm

It’s you Pennsy bastids doing 65 in the left lane that gum everything up. 75+ in the left lane or GTFO!
QFT. It amazes me how slow people drive. Like they literally drive so slow it adds an hour to a four hour trip.