Travel Thread

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:53 am

www.google.com/flights has a tracking feature and supports origin and destination nearby airports.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:43 pm

here's a few more from the museum:

Dude, thanks for sharing these! :thumb:

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:08 pm

here's a few more from the museum:

Dude, thanks for sharing these! :thumb:
My pleasure, thanks for bringing this place to my attention. My in laws are huge fans of Jim Henson and the muppet show in particular and this part of the trip was perfect for everyone. It was an amazing experience.

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:00 pm

I would love to check a handful of airports: CLT, ATL, DC area, JFK and a handful of European cities. I really don’t want to get stuck with my hippie in-laws in rural Sweden for two weeks, so if we could go to Spain or Portugal and have them meet us there lol....

Norwegian Airlines is a low-cost carrier flies to both Newark and Kennedy. It's cheapest tickets would totally be "cattle car" class and would try to nickel-and-dime you with extra fees, but they would probably be one of the cheapest options out there. They have nonstop flights from JFK to Copenhagen, so at least the LCC experience would be as short as possible, and the long-haul fleet is all 787s, so at least you would be crammed into a nice aircraft. I'd check the fare calendar on their website to see if they have any especially cheap dates. Since Wow Air went out of business, Norwegian is probably the most consistently least expensive way to get across the Atlantic.

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:38 pm

I saw the Mad Men exhibiton at the Museum of the Moving Image. I love Queens.
Last edited by Gaucho on Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks, all.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:34 pm

www.google.com/flights has a tracking feature and supports origin and destination nearby airports.
This is the correct answer. I’ve used their tracking feature for years to determine the best time to buy tickets, and it has worked out quite well.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:14 pm

Savannah is a lot of fun...

Our trip didn't start out great. We had a 5 hour delay. Luckily we got the text that morning about it and could plan for it. We each got an $8 food voucher for in the airport (we went downtown and got a pizza and beer at masthead brewing in cleveland... if you're ever around, go. The pizzas are some of the best I've ever had and the beer is great too), as well as $50 vouchers for purchases through Allegiant. We used one to upgrade our seats on the way home to the ones with extra legroom which was really nice.

Once we got in our Lyft and got heading toward downtown from the airport, we held our breath for a good bit of the ride. Lady had her phone in her lap, trying to figure out directions to get downtown. She kept getting flustered because people were being added to her queue, and her husband was in the passenger seat yelling at her where to go, and when he wasn't doing that, he was telling us how awesome Trump was.

That's the end of the shitty part of travel. The rest was awesome. After what you read above, we needed a drink, so we got checked in and just went to the closest bar we could find. It was called Pinkie Masters. Man was this a cool place. Cash only, they had cheap beer by the pounders for 2-3 bucks each. Great craft stuff, and a list of cocktails. The craft beer was $5-6 a pint, and the cocktails were $7 each. The guy sitting next to us at the bar pointed out this piece of plexi glass at the bar. He said that's where Jimmy Carter first announced he was going to run for president. Also, a dude-bro came in and asked for 2 bud lights and a shot of tequila, and slapped $40 down on the bar. The bar tender grabbed a $20, looked at us and goes "I have no idea where this guy thinks he is..." and started laughing. Needless to say, we went back a few nights while we were there.

Two Tides Brewery hosted a block party, and we decided to go check it out. We drank the delicious beer, listened to 2-3 local bands, they had food trucks, board games, corn hole, and we started chatting with a couple at the table next to us over her keystone tattoo. Turns out she was born and raised in Pittsburgh. If you want to talk about small world: the lady that pierced my wife's tongue in college also pierced the girl's nipples that we met. We finished up our last beverage, said our good byes and started our walk back to the hotel. Got about halfway back, when we hear "HEY!!! HEY YOU PENNSYLVANIA PEOPLE!" Turned around and it was the dude from the block party. They were at a bar that was on our walk back, so we got one more drink with them and kept on our way.

The food was all delicious. We would go and get a big breakfast around 10, have a light snack around 2, and then go out for dinner each night. Lots of seafood, grits, fried chicken, greens, the full southern works. We didn't go back to the same place twice and we weren't disappointed a single time either. If you head to Savannah and want any sort of food advice, let me know.

We also went on a ghost tour. It was cheesy as hell, but I loved every minute of it.

Weather was hot, but we had a pool at our hotel, and we learned after the first purchase of beers at the pool side bar to just go to one of the bars and get beverages to go instead. $15 for 2 coronas? Lol, yeah... right. Evenings cooled off enough to not necessarily be comfortable, but not unbearable anymore if that makes any sense.

It was really nice to spend alone time with my wife again. We get date afternoons/evenings every so often, but when we come home, we're still mom and dad here. Getting 4 nights away where we didn't have to be mom and dad was really nice.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Awesome, glad you had a good time. Savannah is a favorite retreat for my wife and I as well.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Savannah is also the gateway to Hilton Head Island, if you’re ever up for it.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:36 pm

RIP @columbia

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:46 pm

We are going to take a couple days added on to our Vegas trip in November to go to Zion National Park. Can’t wait. Love seeing different landscapes from our own. Mrs. franchise has been to Red Rock canyon which is beautiful in its own right but expect Zion is on another level.

I was always kind of stunned and oddly proud when people from the flatlands came to Central PA and talked about how beautiful the mountains were. Growing up there I guess I never really thought much about it.

mikey

Travel Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:42 am

What’s a good website to set up email alerts for low priced flights from a handful of airports to a handful of destinations?

My wife has family in southern Sweden and we would need to fly into Copenhagen. I look randomly a few times a year and get sticker shock flying out of CLT or ATL for the four of us. Yet a friend of mine found cheap tickets out of Dulles and is now in Europe for three weeks. Something like half of the last flights I researched. I wouldn’t have any issues traveling a few hours to save $400 per ticket or whatever it was.

I would love to check a handful of airports: CLT, ATL, DC area, JFK and a handful of European cities. I really don’t want to get stuck with my hippie in-laws in rural Sweden for two weeks, so if we could go to Spain or Portugal and have them meet us there lol....
Scott's cheap flights may be useful for international...but google is the most practical.

mikey

Travel Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:43 am

Day trip to Dallas today...#budget

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:00 am

We are going to take a couple days added on to our Vegas trip in November to go to Zion National Park. Can’t wait. Love seeing different landscapes from our own. Mrs. franchise has been to Red Rock canyon which is beautiful in its own right but expect Zion is on another level.

I was always kind of stunned and oddly proud when people from the flatlands came to Central PA and talked about how beautiful the mountains were. Growing up there I guess I never really thought much about it.
:thumb: :thumb:

I've been to Red Rock, which is a nice little get away. My wife (gf at the time) and I were chilling on a rock when we heard a loud, hollow knocking sound echo through the canyon. Looked up on a larger rock cliff to see big horn sheep locking horns.

Never been to Zion, but I imagine it will blow Red Rock out of the water.

Of all the things you can say about the United States, the variety and grandeur of landscapes cannot be rivaled. Huge fan of the National Park system - my wife and I hope to visit most, if not all of them in our lifetime.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:08 am

Day trip to Dallas today...#budget
Dallas in July?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:07 am

Going to Banff/Calgary next week for vacation.

This may belong in the beloved Solstice Thread, but instead I'll point on ITT that sunset is 9:22 in the great province of Alberta compared to 8:41 in the great city of Pittsburgh. I will be enjoying an additional 40 minutes of daylight, you ballers

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:09 am

have fun, Banff looks so sweet

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:33 pm

This may belong in the beloved Solstice Thread, but instead I'll point on ITT that sunset is 9:22 in the great province of Alberta compared to 8:41 in the great city of Pittsburgh. I will be enjoying an additional 40 minutes of daylight, you ballers
That is fantastic...enjoy KtK. I've always wanted to go there. Please report back on the tourist levels, as I will be curious to hear what your first-hand experience is. Have a great trip!

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:55 pm

this is a big bucket list item for my wife and I. Jealz for sure

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:26 pm

As an aside, for those of you seeking the latest sunsets in the contiguous United States, look no further than scenic Fortuna, North Dakota, where the sun sets as late as 10:03 shortly after the summer solstice.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:53 pm

Not the lower 48, but I took this photo after getting to our hotel room at the Aleyeska Resort south of Anchorage, AK in August 2009.

That's PM.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:31 pm

Ya got one with a digital watch?

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:56 am

I'm preparing to book our flights for next summer's vacation tomorrow, and if the current schedule is any indication, I'm either going to be able to book economy for 79k miles/person or first class for 250k miles/person. The F redemption is trash, so that's probably out of the question. However, now that American no longer allows free upgrades to MCE for AAnytime award tickets, it'll run something like $960 to upgrade all of us to MCE for all four flights. Just **** options all around, outside of the coach redemption.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:01 pm

Less than two months till Hawaii. It seemed like just recently it was like 6 months away.