Travel Thread

large garlic

Travel Thread

Postby large garlic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:10 pm

So it looks like we will be spending Christmas 2017 in Vietnam. We haven't booked anything yet, but the tour company put together an itinerary that starts off with three days in Singapore (which I'm hoping to add another day to this); then we fly to Ha Noi for a few days; then down to Hue for a few days; then to Hoi An for a few days; then back up to Ha Noi for the flight home.

SFO to SIN is 17 godforsaken hours. Singapore Airlines is a Star Alliance member, so the probability that we'll be cashing in some points for this trip is just about 1.

And now Mrs Tif is informing me that she has to travel for work the day after we return.
I'd highly recommend taking a cruise on a junk in Ha Long bay while you're in Hanoi. That was probably our favorite part of our trip to Vietnam a couple years ago.

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Did you score points for it?

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:48 am

So it looks like we will be spending Christmas 2017 in Vietnam. We haven't booked anything yet, but the tour company put together an itinerary that starts off with three days in Singapore (which I'm hoping to add another day to this); then we fly to Ha Noi for a few days; then down to Hue for a few days; then to Hoi An for a few days; then back up to Ha Noi for the flight home.

SFO to SIN is 17 godforsaken hours. Singapore Airlines is a Star Alliance member, so the probability that we'll be cashing in some points for this trip is just about 1.

And now Mrs Tif is informing me that she has to travel for work the day after we return.
My brother spent a couple weeks on vacation throughout Vietnam. He loved it!

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:55 am

Ha Long is on the itinerary, despite the cold weather. I'm just a little worried that we'll be in Hue during their rainy season.

The U

Travel Thread

Postby The U » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:47 pm

My cousin did a similar trip right after college graduation and enjoyed it very much. He did Thailand, Vietnam, Laos.

Interesting story....Last portion of the trip was spent in Laos where he rented a motorcycle/moped and drove around the country. He ended up getting hit by a truck and suffered a compound fracture to his leg. He got thrown to the side of the road and local residents helped him out and drive him to the nearest hospital before he was sent to the nearest major city. Nobody spoke English. So he spent some time in a hospital there before heading back to the US. He told his family he didn't need anybody to come over and "rescue him" that he just needed to heal up for a few weeks and then he could fly home alone. As soon as he landed here he went to the doctor's to make sure the treatment, surgery, care, etc...in Laos had been up to par. Luckily for him the doctor's said everything looked great and was done with the same quality he would have received if this accident had happened in the US.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:03 pm

Okay, mental note: Don't rent a moped and get hit by a truck.

For the people that have been to that part of the world: What did you enjoy most/least?

Flights are looking to be stupid expensive, but $1 = eleventy billion Dong. (teeehee) So we'll be able to feed ourselves for like $3 a day.

large garlic

Travel Thread

Postby large garlic » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:33 pm

Other than Ha Long bay, I really enjoyed going on a tour of the palaces in and around Hue. We did a guided motorbike tour and hit a bunch of palaces in the same day, while taking some shortcuts through rice fields and what not. This might not be so great during the rainy season. My wife also really liked getting clothes made for her in Hue. There in particular, there were a bunch of shops where you could walk in, pick your fabric, get fitted, and have a new dress, pair of pants, etc. waiting for you the next day, and it was stupidly cheap (I think my wife got 2 pairs of pants and 2 dresses for ~$20).

Seeing the Hanoi "Hilton" was interesting, but I feel like there wasn't too much to do and see in Hanoi. It was really crowded and difficult to walk around. I did like going out early and walking around the lake in the central part of the city where all these locals were doing tai chi and weird aerobics stuff at sunrise.

We went to Saigon instead of Hoi An, and Saigon felt like Hanoi on steroids...super crowded, kinda dirty, and hard to get around in. The highlights there were a day trip to the Mekong Delta area and a Vietnamese cooking class. I learned how to make really legit lemongrass chicken, but have since lost the recipe.

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:17 pm

As a (perhaps minor) plus, it looks like Singapore Airlines flies an A350-900 on the SFO to SIN route, so at least you'd be on a new and shiny.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:40 pm

Yeah, I was on Seat Guru yesterday morning scoping it out. They've only been operating the type on that route for a little less than a year. They only have three rows of 'Premium Economy', but every seat has its own AC power, USB port, and personal media screen that you can connect your own device to. Mrs Tif has around $2k in Orbitz Bucks (or whatever they're called), so that will help offset not being able to use United miles for the long haul legs. (I think I can use miles for the trip between SIN and HAN, and any other flying we do in Vietnam if on a Star Alliance carrier.)

But what has me seriously stoked about the prospect of flying there is Singapore Airlines has probably the best culinary program of any carrier in the world.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/us/f ... us/dining/

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:16 pm

What's the best area in Montreal to stay for a weekend? I'm thinking about going to my sister's place with my wife for Thanksgiving in Vermont (right on the border) and then possibly shoot up to Montreal for the weekend.

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:55 pm

But what has me seriously stoked about the prospect of flying there is Singapore Airlines has probably the best culinary program of any carrier in the world.
IIRC, Singapore Airlines has been at or near the top of the Skytrax ratings for just about as long as they have had ratings. And the Singapore airport is highly rated as well. The flight might be long, but the experience should be as good.

Personally, I'd keep trying to exchange Vietnam days for Singapore days until there are no Vietnam days left. I know that the food and scenery in Vietnam are going to be fantastic (having watched multiple Bourdain-in-Vietnam shows), but Shyster also has a great fondness for clean sheets, air conditioning, and modern toilet facilities, which one is more assured to find in Singapore than in Vietnam.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:13 am

What's the best area in Montreal to stay for a weekend? I'm thinking about going to my sister's place with my wife for Thanksgiving in Vermont (right on the border) and then possibly shoot up to Montreal for the weekend.
Saint Catherine Street, or somewhere near there, is most certainly preferable. We Pricelined a hotel for a decent rate towards the western end of St. Catherine...we were maybe 15 minute walk from the Bell Centre?

Recommend seeing if the Habs are in town. Also, only because I know you, you may enjoy a quick (well, 2 hour) jaunt up to Quebec City for the day more than only seeing Montreal. Make sure you check out Mount Royal in Montreal.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:29 am

Going to Vegas tomorrow morning staying till Sunday morning. Should be fun.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:20 am

I'm going til Saturday AM. Meeting some friends from Aus so I am super pumped. Been 7 years. 7 of us are heading out so there will be a crew.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:56 am

Source of the post Personally, I'd keep trying to exchange Vietnam days for Singapore days until there are no Vietnam days left. I know that the food and scenery in Vietnam are going to be fantastic (having watched multiple Bourdain-in-Vietnam shows), but Shyster also has a great fondness for clean sheets, air conditioning, and modern toilet facilities, which one is more assured to find in Singapore than in Vietnam.
I'm reading a book about a British POW in Changi prison during WWII. The museum for the prison is right next to the airport (which is the name of the airport/neighborhood). If you get a chance to visit, check it out. Lots of WWII other stuff in Singapore as well...

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:56 am

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/us/f ... us/dining/
we flew Emirates to Milan 2 years ago. not only was Economy seating pretty darn comfortable but the meals were pretty good too.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:45 pm

I'm going til Saturday AM. Meeting some friends from Aus so I am super pumped. Been 7 years. 7 of us are heading out so there will be a crew.
The person I'm going with is stuck in work conferences most of the day Thurs/Fri/sat .. so I get to explore on my own a good bit of the time haha.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Travel Thread

Postby iamjs » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Heading to Park City, Utah next week for my ski jump climb.

I have a few things on my radar (Great Salt Lake, Dinosaur Monument in Colorado, Antelope Island, maybe Bonneville Flats despite missing actual events a week before and after I get there), but I was wondering if anybody has been there before and if there's anything they would recommend.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:18 pm

headed to CleveLand for a hockey tourney in mid-November. we went a few years ago and saw the Rock and Roll HoF, the Football Hof and Westside Market. we'll have some time to kill on Friday before we can check into our hotel. any suggestions on other things to do there?

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:54 pm

You can throw lit matches in to the river to see if it will catch fire again.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Travel Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:57 pm

Silentom

Travel Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:39 pm

*whistles*

columbia

Travel Thread

Postby columbia » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Does Sbarro still sell their shittey pizza at the rest stops?

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Does Sbarro still sell their shittey pizza at the rest stops?
Midway Plaza (Bedford). Still stop there every once in a while.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:01 pm

Heading to Park City, Utah next week for my ski jump climb.

I have a few things on my radar (Great Salt Lake, Dinosaur Monument in Colorado, Antelope Island, maybe Bonneville Flats despite missing actual events a week before and after I get there), but I was wondering if anybody has been there before and if there's anything they would recommend.
Park City is wonderful. We went to the Park City Wine and Food festival several years ago and had a wonderful time. The Winter Olympic museum/training grounds are pretty cool. Also, if you are going out for a week, highly highly highly recommend a day trip (or an overnighter) to Moab. You can check out Arches/Canyonlands National Park, which have to be seen to be believed.

One of my favorite states to visit...enjoy!