Travel Thread

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:25 am

Metz & I are going to be hitting New Orleans in January for the first time. Quick trip, only a few days. Any suggestions on must-do tours? Was thinking of swamp tour, plantation tour, cemetery tour....anyone have any recommendations?
If it's cold, which it well could be, skip the swamp tour as the gators will be nestled down in the mud.

St. Louis Cemetery #1 tour is great. Check Groupon for deals.

I love that city. Have a great time!

AuthorTony

Travel Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:33 am

Do the haunted swamp tour and look for Victor Crowley.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:34 am

I've been in February, and it's not that bad weather-wise. Chilly, but not cold. Concur on both of BJs points re gators and St Louis #1.

Haven't been yet, but the WWII museum is supposed to be stellar. If you're going to be there in early Jan, there's the Joan of Arc parade and the kickoff of King Cake season. Garden District tour might be nice this time of year (is that what you meant when you said 'plantation tour'?).

mamaemeritus

Travel Thread

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:13 pm

Yes, WWII Museum is definitely on the list, forgot to mention that. There is also the Museum of Death which sounds intriguing.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:33 pm

Touristy, but fun things, beignets and coffee/hot chocolate at Cafe DuMonde, a walk around Jackson Square (across from CDM), shopping at the French Market, live music along Frenchmen St., at least a stroll down Bourbon to see what it's all about.

And the food...

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:13 pm

I have heard hard-to-believe good things about the WWII museum. I am dying to get back down there.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:23 pm

Avoid Bourbon St if you can at all manage it. The buskers all over the Quarter (but especially Royal St) are wonderful.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:28 pm

Bourbon Street was terrible...really killed whatever idealistic notion I had left of what it would be like. It doesn't even seem like a fun place to drink because of the filth and riff-raff.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:11 pm

Go to Bourbon during the day. It's less crowded. Yes, it is touristy and on a warm day, you can smell the night before. But you have to at least try it.

Oh, I forgot Preservation Hall for music, but you can also get live music many places (see aforementioned Frenchman St.). Personally, I like all kinds of music and you can find every variation in NOLA. The Krazy Korner on Bourbon has lives jazz during the day and a great 80s cover band at night. Lots of good rock bands, dueling pianos, jazz trios, R&B bands all over the place.

The Carousel Bar in the Hotel Monteleone is unique.

llipgh2

Travel Thread

Postby llipgh2 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:52 pm

The Garden District is nice. You can get there by streetcar. Have lunch or dinner at the Commander's Palace, where Emril got his start. There is a good cemetery tour there as well.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:40 pm

Preservation Hall is one of my favorite places on earth.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:46 pm

If you could go for 3-4 days to any city in the US in July, where would you go and why? I convinced my wife that we should take a vacation with just the two of us, and we're working now on asking parents to watch our kid and figure out where we're going to go. Essentially if we leave her with my in-laws, we'd fly out of Cleveland. If we leave her with my folks, the options are Pittsburgh, Dulles, BWI, or even Philly. We love food, we love beer, and we love chill live music.

I'm pushing hard for Savannah. The open container laws and general food scene seem like a no brainer.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:51 pm

My wife and I love Savannah. July, though, would give me pause.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:51 pm

that is an awesome question and im looking forward to the responses

edit: I know you said the US but is Toronto an option?

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:53 pm

Toronto is also great, we had one of our best vacations up there. We've been wanting to go hiking in Maine for a while, that's probably where I would go.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:53 pm

Boston for the 4th with fireworks and the Boston Pops.

Or, a Philly FAF Summit.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:54 pm

My wife and I love Savannah. July, though, would give me pause.
Yeah, July in Savannah is absurdly humid and uncomfortable.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:55 pm

Absolutely. Toronto, Quebec, Montreal... those are all options. I only said US to keep people from suggesting the Caribbean or Europe. I have no need to go to such places for such a short trip.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:56 pm

I'd say Nashville because that's at the top of the list for places I haven't been yet. I'll have to think on the best of what I've been to so far

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:57 pm

After 28 summers in the south, I would head to upstate New York for 3-4 days. :lol: We also loved San Francisco in late June/early July. Left CLT and it was 100F and landed in SFO and it was 67F. That night in AT&T Park, we had to buy sweatshirts because it was in the mid-50s. Glorious.

But those not tired of the neverending heat and humidity, I would say Charleston (SC, not WV)/Savannah/Hilton Head would be a great trip. HHI and Savannah share an airport, and lots of good food in both places. Beach, golf, etc. as well.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Absolutely. Toronto, Quebec, Montreal... those are all options. I only said US to keep people from suggesting the Caribbean or Europe. I have no need to go to such places for such a short trip.
if you haven't been to montreal, that would probably be at or near the top of my list. I went there a few years ago for about 4 day and it was an awesome time. your food snobbery will be in full force

count2infinity

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:58 pm

I'd say Nashville because that's at the top of the list for places I haven't been yet. I'll have to think on the best of what I've been to so far
Nashville was my wife's #1 suggestion... Besides being a bunch of Pitt fans, I think you fellas and I would get along quite well.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:01 pm

Agree with others that you will not enjoy Savannah in July. If you are indeed open to Canada, I would highly recommend combining Montreal and Quebec City for a four day trip. 2.5 days in Montreal and 1.5 days in Quebec City. Quebec City is an amazing experience and is much more European in nature than any other city I've been to on this side of the pond.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:07 pm

Nashville was my wife's #1 suggestion... Besides being a bunch of Pitt fans, I think you fellas and I would get along quite well.
:fist:

I really liked Portland. I was there over New Year's and it was a blast with some good hiking around Mt Hood. I can only imagine it'd be even better in July. Loads of breweries and food.. Hipster central so if you can deal with them, they come with a lot of good places

count2infinity

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:37 pm

I love hipster things, but I hate the hipsters themselves. It's almost like I'm a next level hipster. :lol: