Travel Thread

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:11 pm

When our daughter is a bit older, I REALLY want to go to the World War II Museum there. I've heard nothing but good things. The only negative reviews on Trip Advisor are complaints that the narrative in the museum is that America saved the world. Well...yeah :wink:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Travel Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 09, 2018 8:35 pm

The World War II museum is one of the best museums I've ever seen.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:21 am

We were also out at Gulf Shores on Tuesday. I wanted to drive a few miles over to Flora-Bama since my wife had never been there, but we ended up running out of time. Maybe next trip.

Downtown Mobile has come a long way since the last time I was there with the Coast Guard in 2002-03. My memory of it was a desolate, barren area, but the downtown business district is really a fun time.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:33 pm

Daughter has a dance competition out at the Airport Hyatt at the end of July. We are making it a 5 day weekend and want to hit the usual tourist places (Kennywood, downtown museums, inclines and a trip up to Linesville spillway).

We are looking for recommendations on a centrally located Hilton property (Hilton, Doubletree, Hampton, etc) that could still have us at the Hyatt on Saturday morning pretty quickly (-20 minutes).

We’ve done Doubletree Greentree and that’s in the running. Hilton Garden Inn Canonsburg any good?

Any suggestions appreciated.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu May 10, 2018 10:21 pm

I’ve gone to seminars at the hgi in Canonsburg slash southpointe and it is a nice facility. I’ve never stayed there though.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Fri May 11, 2018 9:50 am

Found out an old friend in NC bought a house in Beaufort (SOBX) and uses it for AirBnB. Gave us an open invitation to use it for free whenever we want, and he allows pets. Means I'll be able to get my water dog back to the beach at least one more time in her life. :D

Almost all of our NC friends live in Carteret County and we haven't been back there since 2014, really looking forward to reconnecting.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:05 am

I love Beaufort and that part of NC. I wonder how the schools are in Carteret County? Probably not good, but compared to here... :lol:

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:09 am

I’ve gone to seminars at the hgi in Canonsburg slash southpointe and it is a nice facility. I’ve never stayed there though.
Is it pretty close to the airport hotels?

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Fri May 11, 2018 10:55 am

I love Beaufort and that part of NC. I wonder how the schools are in Carteret County? Probably not good, but compared to here... :lol:
I went to second grade there. From what I remember...not good. :lol:

I want to say that Carteret County has one of the higher high school graduation rates in the state, though.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Found out an old friend in NC bought a house in Beaufort (SOBX) and uses it for AirBnB. Gave us an open invitation to use it for free whenever we want, and he allows pets. Means I'll be able to get my water dog back to the beach at least one more time in her life. :D

Almost all of our NC friends live in Carteret County and we haven't been back there since 2014, really looking forward to reconnecting.
you better give me a call friend

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Fri May 11, 2018 2:42 pm

you better give me a call friend
My boss knows I used to live there and wanted Wilmington, NC as a remote site so I could visit there 4x a year. That position has been vacated so he told me I could go down whenever I want. I'm hoping it stays vacant forever so I can dump St. Paul and pick up Wilmington instead.

Anyway, beyond that, we're planning on going down some Friday through Wednesday. The weekend will be pretty tight but we'd meet you somewhere for dinner Mon/Tue most likely. I'll ping you.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri May 11, 2018 4:49 pm

not really. it would create notable extra time for Linesville and/or kennywood

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:44 pm

not really. it would create notable extra time for Linesville and/or kennywood
Thanks.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:17 am

So although I don't travel as often as some here do, I struggle to sleep well in hotels/condos away from home. I was in N. Myrtle Beach this past weekend, and had to listen to a loud A/C unit banging away all night both nights.

Those of you who travel a lot - do you have tips on sleeping well in a noisy room? Fortunately, I rarely travel for business, so I don't have to be particularly sharp and perky - but it would be nice to fall asleep at some point.

Do you use earplugs/noise cancelling headphones? I have silicon earplugs for swimming in the pool, which blocks some noise but then I listen to my blood pressure all night.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:02 am

So although I don't travel as often as some here do, I struggle to sleep well in hotels/condos away from home. I was in N. Myrtle Beach this past weekend, and had to listen to a loud A/C unit banging away all night both nights.

Those of you who travel a lot - do you have tips on sleeping well in a noisy room? Fortunately, I rarely travel for business, so I don't have to be particularly sharp and perky - but it would be nice to fall asleep at some point.

Do you use earplugs/noise cancelling headphones? I have silicon earplugs for swimming in the pool, which blocks some noise but then I listen to my blood pressure all night.
White noise app for your phone or tablet. If I'm driving to my destination, I bring a small fan.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:21 am

+1 on the white noise app. It's also helpful in my case to do a few minutes of yoga right before bed. It slows your heart and breathing, and more importantly slows your mind. Don't do a full routine, just a few sun salutations, and on you go.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:44 pm

White noise app for your phone or tablet. If I'm driving to my destination, I bring a small fan.
Yup. I have asked for a box fan before....nothing gets me to bed faster than a circulating fan.

CBear3

Travel Thread

Postby CBear3 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Greetings from Copenhagen! No, I don’t get to see any hockey as I have to head across the water to Sweden.
I also learned that two beers after not eating for 16 hours is my limit. Wooooo!

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:10 pm

My in-laws live near Malmo and travel over the Öresund Bridge all the time. It's a beautiful part of Scandinavia - very Middle Earth-ish where they live.

CBear3

Travel Thread

Postby CBear3 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:42 pm

My in-laws live near Malmo and travel over the Öresund Bridge all the time. It's a beautiful part of Scandinavia - very Middle Earth-ish where they live.
I’ll wave as the train goes by. First place I ever rode a hovercraft as a kid.
Glad it’s a beautiful sunny day to wander the streets, I’ve been lucky enough to come in May and June the past few years. Beats the hell out of coming during the gray winters.

Morkle

Travel Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon May 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Heading to Nashville this week, had a blast last year. I'm sure my pregnant wife is going to have a blast.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:31 pm

I've heard Copenhagen is quite pretty.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:44 pm

I've heard Copenhagen is quite pretty.
My wife studied abroad at Leeds and spent her three week spring break backpacking across Europe. By far, her favorite city was Copenhagen. She thought the people were very friendly and it was just a beautiful city. On the other hand, she hated Oslo.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Mrs Tif is Norwegian. Fight me irl.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Nor way!!