Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Off to Montreal in the AM.

Trade show for work.

Meh.

PFiDC

Travel Thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:48 pm

Anyone have an experience travelling in The Keys with children? I think we've decided to go somewhere that passports are not required.

Reveutopique

Travel Thread

Postby Reveutopique » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:41 pm

I'm going to the Pens game in Buffalo this Saturday. Anyone been to a game up there and have any tips? I've been to a few Bills games, but never a Sabres game. I'm planning on driving up Saturday morning and hitting Duff's for some wings for lunch. Other than that, I don't really have anything planned.
Drive up to Niagara Falls. It isn't that far. Bring a passport so you can get onto the Canadian side. The US side is meh.
Seconded.

Reveutopique

Travel Thread

Postby Reveutopique » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:48 pm

I'm going to the Pens game in Buffalo this Saturday. Anyone been to a game up there and have any tips? I've been to a few Bills games, but never a Sabres game. I'm planning on driving up Saturday morning and hitting Duff's for some wings for lunch. Other than that, I don't really have anything planned.
Drive up to Niagara Falls. It isn't that far. Bring a passport so you can get onto the Canadian side. The US side is meh.
Seconded.

I don't know if I'll be traveling for a long time. Kaiser and I moved from the East coast to the West Coat.

Last year we took a trip to Atlantis, the Bahamas location.
I liked it a lot and would go back. We snorkled and we ate and drank a bunch. We hung out on the beach. It was never ending fun. Even the one day it rained was nice and cozy.

However, I thought the Beaches were over rated. Thesand was grainy and rough. Not very nice to touch. I haven't felt nicer sand than in Maryland.
The waves were awesome.
somewhere there's a beach with powdery sand and aggressively playful waves!

Sam's Drunk Dog

Travel Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:30 pm

After the Pens game in Buffalo we went to the the Lodge bar along Chippewa St. We were totally out of place there as the crowd was all in their 20s and dressed up, while we were wearing our Pens gear and in our early-mid 30s. Chippewa Street was actually a pretty happening place.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:16 pm

Alinea is considered the 9th best restaurant in the entire world. They focus on huge tasting menus that are around 20 courses. It will take roughly three hours from start-to-finish, and will easily set you back $1,000 for two people if you have wine pairings.
This was discussed in the LGP cooking thread, and many had the impression that there's no possible way food can be worth that kind of spend. It's so much more than food; it's a total sensory experience that you will never forget. 'Worth' is entirely subjective for a restaurant experience of that nature. Mrs Tif and I ate at Arzak in San Sebastián last year, which is a similar type of restaurant (ranked #8 on that list of best in the world). It's not the kind of thing you can have very often, imo, as it's simply not realistic to go through life eating meals like this on a super regular basis (if such means are within your grasp). But I'd go to Alinea in a heartbeat if I could.

Chef Grant Achatz has another restaurant in Chicago called Next. They change their menu either monthly or quarterly, and it's based on a specific theme or ingredient. They do not accept reservations, instead preferring to use a ticketing system where you buy tickets in advance of the meal. This allows them much more accurately account for revenue and allow them to control costs, which in turn allows them to offer some bonkers good food for a fraction of what it would cost at a traditional restaurant where they routinely have 15% of tables no-show on a given day. Trois Mec here in Los Angeles follows the same approach; you're getting two- or three-star Michelin-quality cuisine for around a hundo a head.
Pulled the trigger on Alinea. Ponying up $630 for a meal I won't be eating for another 2 months is a weird feeling, but I'm sure I won't regret my decision. In the meantime, RIP sweet spending money in April and May.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:00 pm

:lol:

I think we're still paying for our lunch at Arzak, and that was a year ago.

Nuge

Travel Thread

Postby Nuge » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:24 pm

After the Pens game in Buffalo we went to the the Lodge bar along Chippewa St. We were totally out of place there as the crowd was all in their 20s and dressed up, while we were wearing our Pens gear and in our early-mid 30s. Chippewa Street was actually a pretty happening place.
I actually wasn't all that impressed by Chippewa Street. The bar in the harborcenter right outside the arena was pretty awesome though. The huge projection screen was great for watching the masters.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Travel Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:10 pm

I actually wasn't all that impressed by Chippewa Street. The bar in the harborcenter right outside the arena was pretty awesome though. The huge projection screen was great for watching the masters.
Maybe it was when you went. Prior to the game the area was completely dead, but afterwards things picked up as the night went on. It seemed to be very busy when we left, which I think was around 1AM.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:16 pm

Work is sending me to Colorado Springs for a week in May. Any 'must do' things happening around there? I think I might rent something fun and drive up Pikes Peak. Other than that I don't know what else to do. I don't feel like going to Denver just to sight see. I went there in '91 or so and had fun, don't want to tarnish that experience with grown up reality. ;)

redwill

Travel Thread

Postby redwill » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:05 am

Work is sending me to Colorado Springs for a week in May. Any 'must do' things happening around there? I think I might rent something fun and drive up Pikes Peak. Other than that I don't know what else to do. I don't feel like going to Denver just to sight see. I went there in '91 or so and had fun, don't want to tarnish that experience with grown up reality. ;)
Pikes Peak: yes. Really cool.

Everything else near Colorado Springs is horrible, IMO. Cynical touristy-trappy-ish. Awful.

If you can manage a few hours' drive, Leadville, CO is very rewarding. Climb Mt. Elbert and Mt. Massive. Drive the silver mines trail. Eat at the local restaurants I ate at a dozen years ago when I was last there which probably aren't in business any more but have probably been replaced by similar cool places.

If you gotta just stay in Colorado Springs, do Pikes Peak and then just hang out in your motel until you can leave. Drink a lot and smoke a lot and look at the mountains and dream about what life could have been like in that paradise lost.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:36 am

Source of the post do Pikes Peak and then just hang out in your motel until you can leave. Drink a lot and smoke a lot and look at the mountains and dream about what life could have been like in that paradise lost.
:fist:

I wonder where The Shining was shot.

edit: Duh, England, because Kubrick was a big baby.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:29 am

Source of the post do Pikes Peak and then just hang out in your motel until you can leave. Drink a lot and smoke a lot and look at the mountains and dream about what life could have been like in that paradise lost.

The exterior of the hotel was in Oregon.

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/the-shining/

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:35 am

Might be a long shot, and I think I've exhausted most of the options since I've been there about 5 or 6 times so far, but any good beer and food places in the Lemont, Darien, Woodridge, Boilingbrook suburban area outside Chicago?

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:39 pm

I think there's a cool dinosaur museum in CO Springs.

AuthorTony

Travel Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:57 pm

The exterior of the hotel was in Oregon.

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/the-shining/
Yep. The hotel the novel is based on is The Stanley which is in Colorado.
http://www.stanleyhotel.com/

The opening driving scenes were shot in Glacier National Park in Montana and the hotel which inspired the movie hotel's decorating is the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite Park.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:04 pm

Geez, you'd think Hockeynut was something of an authority on horror movies, or something.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:58 pm

Know It All.

AuthorTony

Travel Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:11 pm

I was just trying to be helpful.

:cry:

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:12 pm

:fist: 8-)

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Fri May 01, 2015 10:51 pm

Anyone in/around Denver and want to meet up for drinks/dinner on Friday the 15th? My Pikes Peak plans fell through so I'm thinking of spending Friday night in Denver but I haven't been there since I was 9.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:22 pm

My favourite memory apart from the game was sitting in a bar, drinking cold beer and eating olives.

I thought I was so cool. This was quite a few years ago now. :lol:
Sorry, started to spam the soccer thread.

We went to Bar Pinotxo in La Boqueria and Juanito served us pulpo alla gallega, cava, and a whole langosta. For breakfast.

Juanito

[img]http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/ ... -bayen.jpg

We sat where the two ladies in the left are seated.[/img]

Pinotxo, Quimet y Quimet, Pakta, Lolita Taperia, Els Tres Tombs, then off to San Sebastián for more food and drink.

Pavement

Travel Thread

Postby Pavement » Fri May 08, 2015 2:43 am

My favourite memory apart from the game was sitting in a bar, drinking cold beer and eating olives.

I thought I was so cool. This was quite a few years ago now. :lol:
Sorry, started to spam the soccer thread.

We went to Bar Pinotxo in La Boqueria and Juanito served us pulpo alla gallega, cava, and a whole langosta. For breakfast.

Juanito

[img]http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/ ... -bayen.jpg

We sat where the two ladies in the left are seated.[/img]

Pinotxo, Quimet y Quimet, Pakta, Lolita Taperia, Els Tres Tombs, then off to San Sebastián for more food and drink.
This chat is bringing back lots of good memories, thank you! :thumb:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Travel Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue May 12, 2015 10:48 pm

I'm fascinated with Central Asia. Would love to visit.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Tue May 12, 2015 11:38 pm

Just spent the afternoon driving around Pikes Peak and eating some roadside brisket. Quite happy.