Travel Thread

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Travel Thread

Postby iamjs » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:14 pm

I had that in mind but didn't know how close it was to the arena or my hotel. I'm arriving early on Friday, so maybe I'll visit there first.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:15 pm

"Things to do in Cleveland"

Go somewhere else.

If you must stay, eat at Lola.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:15 pm

There's a cool stretch of bars close to the arena. I think it's Prospect ave?

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Pro Football HOF is just a hop skip and a fumble down the road in Canton.
Westside Market has some great eats! http://westsidemarket.org/

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:26 pm

West Side Market is a must. It's right across the street from Great Lakes Brewery, so why not do both? There will be a line for the gyros... it's worth it. Not too far down the road is Momocho and Platform Beer Co. Momocho has great mexican food and Platform is probably the best bar/brewery in the area, imo.

Tremont is a cool neighborhood. Drinks: Tremont Taphouse Food: Bario (excellent tacos and drinks too...) Brunch: Grumpy's Cafe

I don't know much about the downtown area because we never go downtown.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:33 pm

So we didn't get a vacation this summer due to having a newborn. We're starting to talk about next summer, and July seems to be the only time we'll get to go anywhere. I'm trying to figure out a way to convince my wife to let the kid stay with grandma for a week and we just go on our own. I can't imagine traveling anywhere and enjoying ourselves with a 1 year old. The only way that I can see having fun would be to go with family so that it's not just the three of us. If it's just the three of us, I have a feeling that it'll just be like at home but in a different location and no work during the day. Am I wrong here, or are there enjoyable places you can go with a toddler?

iamjs

Travel Thread

Postby iamjs » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Things to do in Cleveland in December?

Signed up for A Christmas Story race on December 1st, and will probably hit up a Cleveland Monsters game the night before. I know I have relatives somewhere out there on my mom's side, but I have literally zero contact info on them. They may not be in the area anymore. They might not even be alive.
I was going to recommend the Christmas Story house. Though keep in mind only the exteriors were filmed there. Monsters games are fun. RRHOF is definitely worth visiting if you've never been. Tower City Center should be decorated I think, though last time I went there it was depressing.
I thought they did some of the interior shots in there, like the opening of the lamp and Ralphie's brother hiding under the sink. I remember reading that the house was remodeled to resemble what the house would have looked like, which is good enough for me. It's not like I'd be walking around looking for mistakes like I was an active member of the IMDB Movie Mistakes And Goofs team. :lol:

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:44 pm

Things to do in Cleveland in December?

Signed up for A Christmas Story race on December 1st, and will probably hit up a Cleveland Monsters game the night before. I know I have relatives somewhere out there on my mom's side, but I have literally zero contact info on them. They may not be in the area anymore. They might not even be alive.
I was going to recommend the Christmas Story house. Though keep in mind only the exteriors were filmed there. Monsters games are fun. RRHOF is definitely worth visiting if you've never been. Tower City Center should be decorated I think, though last time I went there it was depressing.
I thought they did some of the interior shots in there, like the opening of the lamp and Ralphie's brother hiding under the sink. I remember reading that the house was remodeled to resemble what the house would have looked like, which is good enough for me. It's not like I'd be walking around looking for mistakes like I was an active member of the IMDB Movie Mistakes And Goofs team. :lol:
They may have filmed a few select shots there (Ralphie/Mom/Leg Lamp's POV from inside of the father admiring the lamp from the street), but not much. The house was remodeled so it sort of resembles it, but the layout does not match so it was a bit confusing.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:48 pm

So we didn't get a vacation this summer due to having a newborn. We're starting to talk about next summer, and July seems to be the only time we'll get to go anywhere. I'm trying to figure out a way to convince my wife to let the kid stay with grandma for a week and we just go on our own. I can't imagine traveling anywhere and enjoying ourselves with a 1 year old. The only way that I can see having fun would be to go with family so that it's not just the three of us. If it's just the three of us, I have a feeling that it'll just be like at home but in a different location and no work during the day. Am I wrong here, or are there enjoyable places you can go with a toddler?
Every year, we've gone to the OBX for a week with our daughter. We go with my in-laws and a couple of friends...yes, it wasn't as relaxing as just sitting on the beach doing nothing, but we had a great time and got to go on a couple of date nights while her parents watched. Would that be an option?

About six months after our daughter was born, we did do four days in Quebec, while my Mom came to our house and watched her. That was a great trip, but I was honestly surprised how much I really missed being with her during that time. Obviously, it's a different story once they are in the double digits going to camp or something, because you're not their whole world at that point anymore.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:51 pm

My wife and I left our daughter with my parents for 11 days when she was 1 (nearly 2) to go on vacation. We needed it, and my mom loved not having to go to work and spending time with her.

iamjs

Travel Thread

Postby iamjs » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:01 pm

"Things to do in Cleveland"

Go somewhere else.

If you must stay, eat at Lola.
You know, I almost put "in b4 'don't go'" in my opening.
Pro Football HOF is just a hop skip and a fumble down the road in Canton.
Westside Market has some great eats! http://westsidemarket.org/
Good call on PFHOF. I know they used to let active duty and veterans in for free, but now it's down to a discount and it might only be for active personnel. It looks like it's not far out of my way on the way back, so that might be an option.
They may have filmed a few select shots there (Ralphie/Mom/Leg Lamp's POV from inside of the father admiring the lamp from the street), but not much. The house was remodeled so it sort of resembles it, but the layout does not match so it was a bit confusing.
So don't watch it the week before on Thanksgiving weekend and hope that I forget the movie layout vs the recreation?

mac5155

Travel Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:29 pm

Curious how Clearwater beach is? I have a ton of southwest points... Pens play in Tampa on Feb 9th... Nice direct flight times... Hilton points too... Thinking of a weekend getaway to the beach and a Pens game.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:47 pm

My first family vacation to FL was to Clearwater. We saw a dolphin chasing a small hammerhead shark off the public pier. That's pretty much all I remember of the trip, so good luck.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:18 pm

En route to PHL for Disney. My wife is an incredible planner...we have color printouts of our 5 day itinerary as well as a guide to the Food and Wine festival at Epcot.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Color printouts? Hello, 1985.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Color printouts? Hello, 1985.
:lol:

Don't worry, she has everything mapped out and planned on the app. But this is more just for fun and for memories/scrapbook later.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Apps are sweet and all, but when I was a little kid and it was approaching family vacation time there was nothing I loved more than my atlas and a trip to AAA with my mom for guide books, maps, and a TripTik.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Apps are sweet and all, but when I was a little kid and it was approaching family vacation time there was nothing I loved more than my atlas and a trip to AAA with my mom for guide books, maps, and a TripTik.
We actually did all that for our trip to Quebec in September. I had never tried google maps offline, even though I downloaded the maps of the area we would be. I just wasn't sure how it was going to work in Canada. It was a CYA type of thing but since it was free, I went to AAA and got all the old school swag.

It's still fun to follow an old school map while driving on a long trip.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Ha, I still have my TripTik from my first trip to California.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:51 pm

We used to use those to get to Hilton Head when I was a kid. I can’t believe that they’re still produced.

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:49 pm

Curious how Clearwater beach is? I have a ton of southwest points... Pens play in Tampa on Feb 9th... Nice direct flight times... Hilton points too... Thinking of a weekend getaway to the beach and a Pens game.
Right now, it might be a bit dicey. There's been a terrible red tide on the Gulf Coast for most of the summer from Naples all the way up into the Tampa area and they've been bulldozing dead fish off the beach. The hurricane going thru the Gulf this week just churned some more things up. Otherwise, when it's free and clear, it's a pretty nice place to hang out and relax. Clearwater is more of the touristy beach in that area. Don't be afraid to look at St. Pete Beach, Indian Rocks Beach, or the Dunedin area too.

mac5155

Travel Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:01 am

Right now, it might be a bit dicey. There's been a terrible red tide on the Gulf Coast for most of the summer from Naples all the way up into the Tampa area and they've been bulldozing dead fish off the beach. The hurricane going thru the Gulf this week just churned some more things up. Otherwise, when it's free and clear, it's a pretty nice place to hang out and relax. Clearwater is more of the touristy beach in that area. Don't be afraid to look at St. Pete Beach, Indian Rocks Beach, or the Dunedin area too.
You think it will be back to normal by February? Thanks!

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:22 am

St Pete is a good spot. Shephards in Clearwater was also fun but that was more bach party fun, not sure what you're looking for. There were enough decent places that were a little more relaxing as well. But be careful with that red tide. I think that might have contributed to my bad grouper in Naples

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:26 am

Eat at Frescos at St Pete beach if that's the route you go

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:41 am

Lol kid me loved reading through the Triptiks. Yeah it's fun having something tangible to hold in your hands in terms of maps or plans.