Travel Thread

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:03 pm

There are times where I just really don't want to make dinner or go out, so I plan on giving it a try for that. I wonder if the restaurants you're ordering from play a part in this? I'm going to try actual full-service restaurants and not fast food type places, if that matters. May start with Cheesecake Factory since it's close by and they sell delicious cheesecake.
We only order from actual full-service restaurants. The order where the food sat for an hour was Mad Mex. I can't remember which ones were cancelled but I believe they were either in downtown or Oakland where parking would be annoying for a pick-up.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:05 pm

Source of the post The order where the food sat for an hour was Mad Mex.
:lol: That was my second choice. Mad Mex is notoriously slow, though, so I figured it was a bad choice. I've actually avoided them outside of Gobblerito time because they stopped taking pickup orders over the phone last year. Buncha clowns.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:16 pm

Source of the post The order where the food sat for an hour was Mad Mex.
:lol: That was my second choice. Mad Mex is notoriously slow, though, so I figured it was a bad choice. I've actually avoided them outside of Gobblerito time because they stopped taking pickup orders over the phone last year. Buncha clowns.
This one was on DoorDash. We could see that the food was ready for pickup. We called Mad Mex first when we realized it was taking a long time and they confirmed that the food had been ready for an hour. I called DoorDash and finally got to a real person who could help. They then got someone to pick it up for me and offered a free voucher.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:37 pm

Move out of the sticks, fellas.

We order through Grubhub/Door Dash/Uber Eats/Eat24/etc probably 3-4 times a week.
I live in the city. Door Dash sucks in Pittsburgh for whatever reason. Uber Eats is the only reliable service we've used.
It's a Pulp Fiction reference, where Harvey Keitel was referring to two different neighborhoods in Los Angeles. ;)

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:39 pm

We order through Grubhub/Door Dash/Uber Eats/Eat24/etc probably 3-4 times a week.
I live in the city. Door Dash sucks in Pittsburgh for whatever reason. Uber Eats is the only reliable service we've used.
It's a Pulp Fiction reference, where Harvey Keitel was referring to two different neighborhoods in Los Angeles. ;)
:face: Well, in Harvey Keitel's defense, who wants to drive to Redondo and Inglewood?

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:49 pm

Hey, I lived in Redondo for six years. It's wonderful. :lol:

Also, from a customer service POV, Disney has a mantra: It's not my fault, but it is my problem. Good CS dictates the restaurant should be on the hook for errors imo. For example, the drivers for those services often times do not have complete order information available to them, so they can't even verify if the order is complete and accurate. At the end of the day, I think most consumers respond to incorrect or incomplete orders by not ordering from that particular restaurant again, as opposed to not using that particular app again. As far as my own experience goes, the common denominator in orders that go sideways has almost always been the restaurant, not the service (many restaurants are available via multiple services in larger metro areas).

That said, I've read that nearly 1/3 of delivery service drivers admit to stealing food. And if 1/3 are willing to cop to it, the real number is probably higher.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:54 pm

Source of the post That said, I've read that nearly 1/3 of delivery service drivers admit to stealing food.
Hopefully those people are stealing a full side dish or a full order, not just a few fries or a bite of Mac & cheese. I do wish more restaurants would use some sort of tamper protection on their to-go boxes.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:55 pm

That's easy. Send DoorDash seals to all participating restaurants and seal the bags and the customer knows if they've been opened

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:00 pm

That's easy. Send DoorDash seals to all participating restaurants and seal the bags and the customer knows if they've been opened
Bingo.

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:03 pm

:face: Well, in Harvey Keitel's defense, who wants to drive to Redondo and Inglewood?
It's your future. I see a cab ride.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:04 pm

Bingo.
Yup. It's an easy fix but I've yet to see any restaurant do this.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Travel Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:10 pm

Breckenridge next week for some snowboarding. Have never been to Colorado so should be a good time.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:28 pm

The hotel issues all seem to come from booking through the third party. I have a buddy who is the sales manager at a large hotel chain and he told me that any time a reservation is made through a third party, it needs to be modified/cancelled through that third party. According to him, it's a giant pain in the ass. They will also match the price if you call the hotel directly.
I almost always book directly through the hotel. at Hilton I have status so it's a no brainer. for most hotels I get cheaper rates than I'd get from 3rd party sites simply due to membership, AAA or government rate. :fist:

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:54 pm

I do Uber Eats in Allison Park a few times a month. When I travel for business it is every other day.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:56 pm

The only reason I'm even considering DoorDash is because it's a free perk. I have never used Uber Eats or any other similar service in the past.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:35 pm

is there Postmates in PA?

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:18 pm

I’m still locked in AA, but not shutdown. Most who are locked are able to still fly on their award travel, but AA is still cancelling flights and accounts left and right - including while people are actually on their trips, forcing them to scramble for return flights.

I just booked our Maui flights using cash. They’re the highest I’ve ever paid, and not even in F. Whatever. Gonna go down the Chase UR path to offset these costs in the future.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:32 pm

is there Postmates in PA?
Yep. Used it once without issue.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:44 am

update to my Hyatt issue: corporate Hyatt is refunding the extra room I was charged for. I'd still choose Hilton over Hyatt but as long as the GM of the Hyatt Place in downtown Athens, GA is Angela Smith I won't be staying there. not only did she never call me back but the CSR at Hyatt corporate told me that even they hadn't been able to talk to her about the problem because she "wasn't taking calls". seriously????

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:49 am

Make sure you leave reviews on Google of this experience.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:56 am

I just had to change my reservation from 3 nights to 2 at a Marriott for next week. It was the easiest call of my life. That Hyatt must be hurting for sales if they tried to fight that.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:03 am

Make sure you leave reviews on Google of this experience.
done. their Facebook page too.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:07 am

I just had to change my reservation from 3 nights to 2 at a Marriott for next week. It was the easiest call of my life. That Hyatt must be hurting for sales if they tried to fight that.
I had an issue last year in Chicago with a pre-paid where the event location was moved 45 minutes away. Hilton had no incentive to let me change locations but they changed with very little persuading. like I said, Hyatt corporate was very helpful. the local hotel GM is an idiot and probably needs to be fired.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:17 am

Hyatt is my preferred place to stay and I'll be in their highest tier here pretty soon. I've stayed at a bunch of them and haven't had any issues, including when my travel was cancelled last minute; they still refunded the charge on my card despite my cancelling the day of check-in. That said, the local managers seem to have a lot of discretion and it looks like that particular location is suffering for it.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:38 pm

I think it's intended for yinzers with a craving getting it shipped across the country, not for jamokes living in town.
As a follow up to this:

Awwww, yeah.