Travel Thread

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:40 am

Yeah I'd let my CC company handle it. Dispute the charge right away even before talking with her.
update: Hyatt CS has been great to deal with. the local hotel GM sucks at her job though. I left her a message Tuesday. she never called me back. this morning I called Hyatt corporate and after they called and talked to her she would still only cancel ONE of the three reservations. the first 2, when the system glitched went through at EXACTLY the same time. the third one, which went through 9 minutes later was the one I was expecting. Hilton corporate is working hard to make it right. talked to my CC and they said I need to wait until the hotel actually charges me before disputing it. I was actually a little surprised that they haven't already charged me, since it's a pre-paid rate. I guess they'll run the charge sometime between now and Saturday.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:15 pm

If you are dealing directly with the hotel, they aren't going to charge your card until your stay. Reservation companies (like Trivago and whatnot) are charging you for their service, so your card will be run at that time.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:31 pm

Right. I've never heard of pre-paying for a hotel, though I've always dealt directly with the hotel. I've heard way too many horror stories about third party reservation companies.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:55 pm

I do hotwire and priceline all the time. Never had an issue.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:02 pm

If you are dealing directly with the hotel, they aren't going to charge your card until your stay. Reservation companies (like Trivago and whatnot) are charging you for their service, so your card will be run at that time.
The rate was 20% off because it was a “pre-paid” rate. I imagine they’ll charge the card Saturday. I’m confidant that corporate will resolve my issue.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:52 am

"Pre-paid" in this context just means you're authorizing the CC hold now, X number of days/weeks/months out, instead of at check-in. It's sort of like the $1 charge on your CC when you get gas. (I think)

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:03 am

I had a similar issue. Family going to Yellowstone, our plans were to fly into Jackson Hole, spend the night and the next day at Grand Teton NP, then drive up to Yellowstone the next night.

Our plane was delayed at DFW so we missed our connecting flight. Stayed in Dallas on AA's bill, and went straight to Yellowstone the next day.

The hotel we booked on Expedia for that night in Jackson Hole refused to reimburse us. We did the same, took the cheaper rate for paying now vs. later. That hotel earned themselves some nasty reviews online. They didn't care.

A quick, courteous call to American Airlines, and all 4 of us received $300 vouchers for the inconvenience.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:16 am

I've ordered through Goldbelly in the past, and may do it again now that I found out that Joe's KC is on there, and I can get burnt ends and sliced brisket delivered right to my doorstep: https://www.goldbelly.com/joes-kansas-city-bar-b-que

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 am

The hotel issues all seem to come from booking through the third party. I have a buddy who is the sales manager at a large hotel chain and he told me that any time a reservation is made through a third party, it needs to be modified/cancelled through that third party. According to him, it's a giant pain in the ass. They will also match the price if you call the hotel directly.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:32 am

In the past 10 years, only once have I ever found better pricing through a 3rd party site (hotels.com). Every other time, I've been able to find discount codes or something else to make booking directly with the hotel cheaper. Hell, most of the time the hotel direct price is cheaper.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Travel Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:15 am

I used to always book through Travelocity or Expedia until I discovered what NTP66 notes.

I became a Choice Hotels member and always find it cheaper that way.

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:57 am

I only booked through a 3rd party once, at the LaQuinta in Erie which was the only place available booking late on a summer weekend. Turns out there was some mistake and it should not have been available. They moved us free - at that point we had a 4 year old and a baby- to some slum in Edinboro after sitting in their lobby a couple hours. Should have just gone home. Only did that because it was some incentive point deal through my employer where you could use points to book hotels.

Agree that I've never seen a travel booking site with better rates than hhonors.com or ihg.com. Accidentally booked a prepay Holiday Inn Express room on their app when I didn't intend to once- one phone call and it was taken care of.

the wicked child

Travel Thread

Postby the wicked child » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:21 am

I've ordered through Goldbelly in the past, and may do it again now that I found out that Joe's KC is on there, and I can get burnt ends and sliced brisket delivered right to my doorstep: https://www.goldbelly.com/joes-kansas-city-bar-b-que
This is something that my wallet didn't need to know existed....

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:39 am

This is something that my wallet didn't need to know existed....
As a repeat customer, I feel the same way.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:51 am

$90 for 4 cap & cheese sammiches from Primantis? Yikes.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:58 am

I think it's intended for yinzers with a craving getting it shipped across the country, not for jamokes living in town.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:04 pm

I think it's intended for yinzers with a craving getting it shipped across the country, not for jamokes living in town.
This. And I’ve never (and won’t) paid full price. Until they open a location closer to home, I’ve got no other choice.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:28 pm

:lol: I'm aware. Still seems obtuse.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:30 pm

I think I might be misreading something here. This Goldbelly thing is a service, sort of like Door Dash or Grubhub, that will do cross-country delivery of................. sandwiches?

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:41 pm

I think I might be misreading something here. This Goldbelly thing is a service, sort of like Door Dash or Grubhub, that will do cross-country delivery of................. sandwiches?
You misread nothing - that's precisely what it is. They ship everything with frozen ice. Primanti's puts together vacuum-sealed bags for every individual ingredient. All you need to do is cut the bread and heat up the meat, and assemble.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Speaking of DoorDash, I apparently get DashPass for free with my Chase Sapphire card. Might actually take advantage of that in the future.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:48 pm

My experience with DoorDash has been absolutely awful. I've had more than one order cancelled (without my knowledge) due to not having any drivers take the pickup. I've had at least one order sit at the restaurant for over an hour because a driver was late. They've been pretty good about crediting the account, but also extremely difficult to contact when needed. I've had similar experience with Grubhub. Really only Uber Eats has been consistent.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:50 pm

Move out of the sticks, fellas.

We order through Grubhub/Door Dash/Uber Eats/Eat24/etc probably 3-4 times a week.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:59 pm

There are times where I just really don't want to make dinner or go out, so I plan on giving it a try for that. I wonder if the restaurants you're ordering from play a part in this? I'm going to try actual full-service restaurants and not fast food type places, if that matters. May start with Cheesecake Factory since it's close by and they sell delicious cheesecake.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:00 pm

Move out of the sticks, fellas.

We order through Grubhub/Door Dash/Uber Eats/Eat24/etc probably 3-4 times a week.
I live in the city. Door Dash sucks in Pittsburgh for whatever reason. Uber Eats is the only reliable service we've used.