Travel Thread

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:52 pm

Don't go to Cafe Du Monde. But if you must..... Jax brewery is just across the park. And there are often buskers there, so that's fun.
My wife really wants to go there. Is there a better spot nearby for beignets? Cafe Beignet looks promising. I'd rather avoid the tourist trap if they are overrated.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:16 pm

The main location on Jackson Square is usually swamped with tourists. A random Wednesday will probably mitigate that, but there's another CdM location down river in the mall south of Spanish Plaza. If just going to CdM is what your wife is after, go there. If she's insistent on going to the OG location, I wish you luck. I believe there's another beignet place in the Jax building, which is like 200 feet from CdM.

(Actually, it's not that bad, and CdM is one of the few touristy places in NOLA that actually has some cred amongst locals as well.)

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:32 pm

The one in the Jax building is a Cafe Beignet location.

Cafe duMonde is worth hitting at least once and if there is a line, it goes quickly. Then go across the street and walk inside the park at Jackson Square.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:43 pm

Yeah, you have to go to Cafe Du Monde in Jackson Square. Always a line, but worth it for the experience.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Travel Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu May 03, 2018 12:07 pm

Back in Vegas again. Hitting the neon museum tonight and supposedly going to a speakeasy shortly after. They wouldn't let me made a reservation for one, so I had to lie be creative and say I had a date that doesn't drink. Said date also won't be showing later, so I'm unsure how its gonna play out.

Friday night I'm hitting the VGK/Sharks game but should probably find something to do on that side of the strip beforehand.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:11 pm

If you go to the Mob Museum you might meet my father-in-law. He's a volunteer tour guide.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun May 06, 2018 8:03 pm

Booking a trip to Australia/NZ for August. probably going to do 5-6 days in Aus and 9-10 in NZ

right now I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do while in Australia. I really want to go to the outback (or at least something close to it since I won't know what the true outback is anyway). My current thinking is fly to Adelaide from Sydney (I'm flying into Sydney originally) and then drive a few hours Northeast of Adelaide

Is there a better way to do this? I don't have a particular interest in seeing anything specific like Uluru. I really just want to go out in the middle of nowhere and chill with some kangaroos

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:09 pm

I'm jealous, Oz is definitely a bucket list visit for me.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun May 06, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm not paying a dime for the flight to Oz (well other than taxes). The Citi American Airlines card had a 60k mile bonus and I racked up 20k miles for the requisite 80k total

Also the flight from Oz to NZ is only around $200 which I can pay fully using my cash back cards unused reward

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Sun May 06, 2018 8:33 pm

I'd probably drive down the coast to Melbourne, then back to Sydney via the Alps and the outback. I've never been there, though, so I don't know if it's feasible.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Travel Thread

Postby iamjs » Sun May 06, 2018 9:48 pm

If you go to the Mob Museum you might meet my father-in-law. He's a volunteer tour guide.
I should have asked for more info beforehand. I ended up doing the all-access but ended up doing the tour self-guided.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Sun May 06, 2018 10:44 pm

Booking a trip to Australia/NZ for August. probably going to do 5-6 days in Aus and 9-10 in NZ

right now I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do while in Australia. I really want to go to the outback (or at least something close to it since I won't know what the true outback is anyway). My current thinking is fly to Adelaide from Sydney (I'm flying into Sydney originally) and then drive a few hours Northeast of Adelaide

Is there a better way to do this? I don't have a particular interest in seeing anything specific like Uluru. I really just want to go out in the middle of nowhere and chill with some kangaroos
I will post a response with more details tomorrow evening. If I forget please @ me. I've been to pretty much everywhere on the east coast. I haven't done the outback and quite honestly I'm not sure I'd recommend that if you only have a week

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Sun May 06, 2018 10:44 pm

Is anyone traveling with you

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun May 06, 2018 11:40 pm

Nope just me

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:08 am

Then I'd say you definitely don't want to do the Outback. lol

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:11 am

I should have asked for more info beforehand. I ended up doing the all-access but ended up doing the tour self-guided.
If he was there, chances are he was wearing a USMC hat. 5'10"or so, wispy gray hair and goatee. Sorta high pitched voice. Guy's a legit superhero imo.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:32 am

I'm not paying a dime for the flight to Oz (well other than taxes). The Citi American Airlines card had a 60k mile bonus and I racked up 20k miles for the requisite 80k total

Also the flight from Oz to NZ is only around $200 which I can pay fully using my cash back cards unused reward
Pro tip: Those cards are churnable as hell (via targeted mailers), if you ever intend on going that route.

Also, I don't think any trip to that region could ever be complete without a tour of the Great Barrier Reef.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon May 07, 2018 10:00 am

Pro tip: Those cards are churnable as hell (via targeted mailers), if you ever intend on going that route.
yeah, I read a lot about that online but I don't have the interest right now to focus on it. Maybe in the future but to me that all seems like a headache and I don't want to risk trashing my credit
Also, I don't think any trip to that region could ever be complete without a tour of the Great Barrier Reef.
yeah it's tough because there is so much in both countries I want to see and I'll be taking off like 2 and a half weeks from work. I'm not sure if/when I'll get another opportunity to do this trip and I don't want to not do it because I won't have enough time for everything...if that makes any sense.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:04 am

yeah it's tough because there is so much in both countries I want to see and I'll be taking off like 2 and a half weeks from work. I'm not sure if/when I'll get another opportunity to do this trip and I don't want to not do it because I won't have enough time for everything...if that makes any sense.
That's how I'd view it, as well. I plan on going to Australia in the next 5-6 years, and will be doing everything that is on my bucket list (white shark cage diving and the GBR) because I have no idea if that will be the only time I ever visit the area. It all depends on your preferences, really. I would do those two things before I would consider anything outback-related.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon May 07, 2018 10:19 am

That's how I'd view it, as well. I plan on going to Australia in the next 5-6 years, and will be doing everything that is on my bucket list (white shark cage diving and the GBR) because I have no idea if that will be the only time I ever visit the area. It all depends on your preferences, really. I would do those two things before I would consider anything outback-related.
funnily I'm kind of the opposite. to me the outback is quintessential Australia

I'm not sure what NZ has in that way but I'll probably end up doing more water stuff there for what it's worth

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:00 am

Cafe du Monde was as good as advertised. We basically just walked around the French Quarter for a few hours. I thought Bourbon Street was gross city... Some cool places, but by and large I thought it stunk and a lot of the bars seemed sketchy. Vagrants everywhere. My wife got the big drink at Fat Tuesday's so she was happy :lol:

Did talk to several very friendly shop owners, there are a lot of cool little small businesses around there. Really liked the Jackson Square area too. Was just really unimpressed with Bourbon.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:50 am

I didn't see anything wrong with Bourbon Street, it looked like a tourist area to me. But I'm used to the seedy side of the south, having worked in downtown Charleston for over ten years - including a lot of early mornings which are late nights for a lot of people. :lol:

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:41 pm

Bourbon Street is awful, and I'm sure I've said that here multiple times. The only thing worthwhile is Bourbon House, which is at Iberville. So it's not even really in the heart of the mess.

The only touristy places that I feel are really worth the effort are Preservation Hall (which is amazing), and Pat O'Brien's next door. The only reason I include the latter is because the former does not have restrooms, and so you have to go next door to tinkie poo poo. And while you're there, go ahead and get it over with and order a Hurricane.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:20 pm

Bourbon is indeed a touristy mess. But you need to experience it.

The French Market area/Jackson Square and Frenchman St. are far superior areas.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Travel Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 09, 2018 5:41 pm

Something that always gets looked over is the Audubon Zoo and the area around Tulane.