Travel Thread

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:37 pm

Ooooh! One rec just popped into my dome........ Oxbow Public Market. It's like a food court for grown ups. It's on a little 2-block stretch of, I think, 1st St on the east side of the river where there are tasting rooms, at least one brewery, restaurants, and then the Oxbow itself. Favorite place there is Hog Island Oyster Co; if raw bivalves aren't your jam, they're also just a generally excellent seafood restaurant in addition to the raw bar stuff.

Oxbow is one of those places that is like the first port of call when we're in Napa. Don't know if you've been to SF before or know the reference, but it's like the Ferry Terminal Building's kid brother.
Ah, was waiting for your recs, thanks! We’re flying into SFO and staying in American Canyon. Working in Vallejo. Also working 3pm-1am so wine tours may be right out unfortunately.

There’s a chance we get all our work done a day early and get to do a little site seeing Friday but that’s a big if. You’re right, would be a shame to be in the wine Mecca of the world and not experience at least a little of it. With Christmas around the corner, would make for some easy gift ideas.
American Canyon? I hope you're not staying at the Doubletree. I stayed there for the PGA Tour event at Napa this year and I wasn't very impressed.

I'll second the recommendations for eating in downtown Napa. Plenty of variety for your palette.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:55 pm

Ooooh! One rec just popped into my dome........ Oxbow Public Market. It's like a food court for grown ups. It's on a little 2-block stretch of, I think, 1st St on the east side of the river where there are tasting rooms, at least one brewery, restaurants, and then the Oxbow itself. Favorite place there is Hog Island Oyster Co; if raw bivalves aren't your jam, they're also just a generally excellent seafood restaurant in addition to the raw bar stuff.

Oxbow is one of those places that is like the first port of call when we're in Napa. Don't know if you've been to SF before or know the reference, but it's like the Ferry Terminal Building's kid brother.
Ah, was waiting for your recs, thanks! We’re flying into SFO and staying in American Canyon. Working in Vallejo. Also working 3pm-1am so wine tours may be right out unfortunately.

There’s a chance we get all our work done a day early and get to do a little site seeing Friday but that’s a big if. You’re right, would be a shame to be in the wine Mecca of the world and not experience at least a little of it. With Christmas around the corner, would make for some easy gift ideas.
American Canyon? I hope you're not staying at the Doubletree. I stayed there for the PGA Tour event at Napa this year and I wasn't very impressed.

I'll second the recommendations for eating in downtown Napa. Plenty of variety for your palette.
Not staying at the Doubletree. Would love to get to Napa, hopefully it works out

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:01 pm

In that case, I second NTP's rec of Six Flags.

:wink:

But seriously, you'll be within range of a couple In-n-Out locations. If you can't do a wine thing, at least get yourself a Double Double (Animal Style).

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:03 pm

Seriously, you'll be no more than like a 15- or 20-minute drive from DT Napa. I encourage you to figure something out. :lol:

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:39 pm

New Orleans question:

Never been there. Looking at airbnbs. Is central city/Milan safe?

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:43 pm

Central City is the DC city where The Flash operates and Milan is in Italy. Either way you seem **** for New Orleans.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:55 pm

Fine ill just vacation in north versailles

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:31 am

10 years of my life were spent in the French metropolis of Versailles de nord. How dare you sir

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:35 am

10 years of my life were spent in the French metropolis of Versailles de nord. How dare you sir

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:30 pm

we hit up oxbow - very cool place

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:39 pm

So far we've struck out on any dining experience because everything closes at 8PM here. Been working noon-10. So far had a burger at a local mom and pop place for lunch and ordered a pizza from a local joint before they closed at 9 yesterday.

Before work yesterday we went up to one of the old battlements near the GG bridge, which was pretty neat. Were going to hit up Muir's Woods NM today but the traffic + fees made it not worth our time. It was our fault for not planning, so tomorrow we'll get up earlier to do the trip.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:44 pm

just got back from disney - our older is 2 and it was really a delight to see her take everything in. everything was set up for the 50th anniversary + christmas so was great just walking around. when the kids were taking their naps in the stroller one day we were chatting with the DVC folks in animal kingdom -- does anyone do DVC here? doing quick math if you are committed to a disney trip annually/biannually for the length of the contract, but dont really see the value if you want to do it while the kids are young unless you can quickly move the contract 2nd hand?

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:09 pm

Dealing with a very upsetting situation right now.

We have used Surf and Sound Realty (Outer Banks) the last four years. Our last stay was in August. Three days after we got back from our last trip, we booked for next year.

Fast forward to this weekend, my wife gets a voicemail yesterday from the realty company saying it was urgent and to call them back immediately. As it turns out, they are accusing my family of vandalizing/writing obscene graffiti in the swimming pool area, and are letting us know that we are going to be added to the renter blacklist and they are canceling our reservation for next summer.

I am irate right now. If there was something allegedly found, why would they wait four months to contact us? Why are we just finding out about this in early December? We have literally never had an issue like this and have been renting for 14 years. I am 100% confident that no one in our family wrote obscene messages. It was my wife and I, our 7 and 1 year old, and my in-laws. All jokes aside, this is a crock of sht.

If they do end up adding us to some list as bad news renters, I am hiring a lawyer and suing them for defamation. Not to mention ripping them in whatever public forum I can find. I am reallllllllllly **** pissed off right now.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:11 pm

That sucks. I had something similar happen with a rental car, it's not fun.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:11 pm

What proof do they have? Sounds more like they're simply looking for a scapegoat.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:16 pm

What proof do they have? Sounds more like they're simply looking for a scapegoat.
Trying to find out. They said the manager checked it before our visit and there was nothing there, and they checked it after and it was.

the wicked child

Travel Thread

Postby the wicked child » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:16 pm

Wow, that is some grade A bullshit.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:17 pm

Having been on this board with you for several years, and hung with you a bit in person. I STRONGLY suspect if there was obscene graffiti anywhere near your kid everyone would have heard about it. :lol:

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:18 pm

Blame antfia. DO IT.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:19 pm

That's absolute bullshit. But seriously what was the obscene graffiti?

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:20 pm

shaf wuz here

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:07 pm

“Fat people suck”

Seriously if I was a property owner and There was graffiti at my place after someone’s stay I would be getting to the bottom of it immediately.

Something is off about this

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:24 pm

Update. The manager called. She said they reviewed our history and see that we have been "model guests", so she believes us and all is good. My wife handled it well.

I really want to know what it said now :lol:

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:24 pm

Blame antfia. DO IT.
:thumb: :lol:

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:24 pm

It was a dick, wasn't it?