Travel Thread

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:45 pm

I've ordered through Goldbelly in the past, and may do it again now that I found out that Joe's KC is on there, and I can get burnt ends and sliced brisket delivered right to my doorstep: https://www.goldbelly.com/joes-kansas-city-bar-b-que
I grabbed the 5 meat sampler from Joe's... I've only tried the smoked turkey so far but it was awesome. I'm really looking forward to the others (brisket, sausage, pork shoulder, Smokie Joe [brisket + pork in bbq sauce]).

Planning at some point after the quarantine ends to have my sister make some jalapeno cheddar biscuits to eat the Smokie Joe on.
You went with that over the ribs, brisket and burnt ends or All The Beef pacakge?! You crazy!

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:51 pm

just saw a "visit Myrtle Beach!" commercial. :face:

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:53 pm

just saw a "visit Myrtle Beach!" commercial. :face:
'Tiger King': Doc Antle's Myrtle Beach Safari 'Not Planning to Cancel Any Tours' Due to Coronavirus
https://popculture.com/streaming/2020/0 ... ronavirus/

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:14 pm

Just cancelled our vacation for June/July. I re-booked for late November, but that's only so that I can either rent out my units or deposit them with II. This really **** blows.

the wicked child

Travel Thread

Postby the wicked child » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:53 pm

I've ordered through Goldbelly in the past, and may do it again now that I found out that Joe's KC is on there, and I can get burnt ends and sliced brisket delivered right to my doorstep: https://www.goldbelly.com/joes-kansas-city-bar-b-que
I grabbed the 5 meat sampler from Joe's... I've only tried the smoked turkey so far but it was awesome. I'm really looking forward to the others (brisket, sausage, pork shoulder, Smokie Joe [brisket + pork in bbq sauce]).

Planning at some point after the quarantine ends to have my sister make some jalapeno cheddar biscuits to eat the Smokie Joe on.
You went with that over the ribs, brisket and burnt ends or All The Beef pacakge?! You crazy!
There's always next time...

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:22 pm

There's always next time...
I just ordered the All Beef Package, so thanks for the reminder.

the wicked child

Travel Thread

Postby the wicked child » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:00 am

I just ordered the All Beef Package, so thanks for the reminder.
I actually was looking at like 3 different things when I ordered and thought I got one of the packs with burnt ends but I didn't. I will definitely be ordering those at some point.

The smoked turkey I had thus far was prob the best turkey I've ever had so I'm not exactly sad here. ;)

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:58 pm

American Airlines Group Inc. will slash international flying as far out as the end of August as the novel coronavirus batters travel demand through the normally busy summer season.

Overseas flight capacity will be trimmed 60% from last summer’s level, paced by an 80% drop across the Pacific, the carrier said Thursday. At least 23 seasonal routes won’t operate at all, while several that were to start this year will be delayed until 2021. American, which has said domestic capacity will fall as much as 80% next month, is still working on its U.S. summer schedule.

The extended reductions in flights abroad highlight the extent if the virus’s damage to airlines, which need tickets to be booked months in advance to set aircraft and crew schedules. American plans to apply for as much as $12 billion in U.S. government aid and has already grounded most of its wide-body aircraft normally used on flights abroad.
Currently you pretty much can’t fly anywhere and come summer through late summer the airlines will barely have any flights running.... so maybe offer real refunds instead of bullshit waivers you greedy **** sticks.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:00 am

Source of the post so maybe offer real refunds instead of bullshit waivers you greedy **** sticks.
Yep. I basically have to sit and wait for them to cancel my flights, which I don't expect them to do until the day before in order to get a full refund (including MCE, which is generally non-refundable). I don't want vouchers.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:28 pm

Got lucky on my MIL's flight, as AA changed the schedule to be 125 minutes later - 5 minutes longer than the requirement for a full refund. The ticket refund was automatically approved, but a person has to manually approve the MCE upgrades. AA is apparently offering a 20% bonus if you accept a voucher instead. I would almost consider that if the voucher didn't expire after 1 year. That's just a **** slap in the face.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:24 pm

Ugh, I logged into my wife’s AA account today to check something, and that jogged my memory about a recent schedule change. I accepted the change, and that’ll likely hurt me in the end. The flight changed by more than an hour, so I’d have been able to change for free, and might have been able to get a CSR to just cancel the flight and refund me. I hate how the airlines have you by the balls.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:05 pm

Got an email from AA that my (insignificant) miles expire in 90 days. You’re **** kidding me right?

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:08 pm

Got an email from AA that my (insignificant) miles expire in 90 days. You’re **** kidding me right?
:lol: Spend a few miles on something dumb, or use AA's shopping portal (read the terms) to keep it going for another 18 months. I don't have that problem anymore. :\

mac5155

Travel Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:17 pm

:lol: Spend a few miles on something dumb, or use AA's shopping portal (read the terms) to keep it going for another 18 months. I don't have that problem anymore. :\
I was pissed that I'm losing $1.10 of fuelperks at GE this month. both of my car's tanks have been full since like March 12th :lol:

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:18 pm

I was pissed that I'm losing $1.10 of fuelperks at GE this month. both of my car's tanks have been full since like March 12th :lol:
GE didn't extend the perks? My grocery chain, Giant, extended for an extra month.

mac5155

Travel Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:47 pm

GE didn't extend the perks? My grocery chain, Giant, extended for an extra month.
Not as of yet, I don't think.

AuthorTony

Travel Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:18 pm

You can always use it toward groceries.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:09 pm

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:33 pm

wow. we were just there in October. that's crazy!

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:49 am

I'm guessing it's mostly just locals on the islands now. And the locals still don't want to go to Waikiki.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:54 am

I'm guessing it's mostly just locals on the islands now. And the locals still don't want to go to Waikiki.
Mostly, though stupid people are still flying in each day. MauiNow.com posts flight stats on a daily basis now, and there are usually 1-2 dozen "non-residents" on board. Some of them wind up being nurses flying in to help out at Maui Medical, but there have been tourists, too.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:57 am

That's surprising. I can see the thought process, I suppose. If you're going to be quarantined, why not be quarantined in paradise?

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:13 am

That's surprising. I can see the thought process, I suppose. If you're going to be quarantined, why not be quarantined in paradise?
I read a story last week about rich folks in Manhattan buying property in the islands and "moving" temporarily to escape the COVID stuff.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:33 am

one of my friends is a FedEx pilot and is in Waikiki right now waiting to fly on to Sydney. she took a shot of the beach for me yesterday that was completely empty. basically she said that now beaches are completely closed. you can only go out in the water, no laying on the beach.
one of the Maui Facebook groups has someone asking if Maui was still under 14 day quarantine for people flying in. one of the locals spent about 10 comments trying to convince her that Hawaii had banned travel for the remainder of the YEAR. :pop:

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:49 am

Source of the post one of the locals spent about 10 comments trying to convince her that Hawaii had banned travel for the remainder of the YEAR.
I can understand why, when you see visitors still flying over. Those people are dumb.