Travel Thread

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:51 pm

Thanks gents. @Sam's Drunk Dog can you recommend a great breakfast joint in that area? That's not Eat and Park? :lol:

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:34 pm

I'm leaning strongly towards this place. Four minutes from the hotel.

http://www.eggsnat.com/

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:39 pm

Central Diner and Grille is also excellent.

http://www.centraldinerandgrille.com/ho ... rille.html

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:48 pm

Central Diner and Grille is also excellent.

http://www.centraldinerandgrille.com/ho ... rille.html
That looks excellent. Thanks.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:13 pm

I get to spend the week in Beaver Falls next week.
Step 1: Orams donuts

Step 2: Orams donuts

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Travel Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:27 pm

Yeah, and Amen

Sam's Drunk Dog

Travel Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:19 pm

Thanks gents. @Sam's Drunk Dog can you recommend a great breakfast joint in that area? That's not Eat and Park? :lol:
Sheila's in Baden is good from what I remember, but it has been years since I ate there. https://sheilas-restaurant-restaurant.business.site/

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:08 am

With the passing of Leah Chase and Dr John, part of me wants to go to NOLA asap. As was noted in RIP, that's gonna be an epic second line.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:28 am

A not very hypothetical question:

I’m planning on renting a car for all 5 days of vacation this year. I could potentially save $100 over the course of those 5 days by renting a car at a rental spot other than the airport. Obviously we would have to take an Uber from the airport to the rental place, but it looks like the cost of an Uber would be about $17 per trip. Is it worth the rigamarole of catching an Uber, taking a 15 minute drive, then renting the car at some suburban location instead of the airport?

Sam's Drunk Dog

Travel Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:39 am

I don't know. It depends on whether the hassle is worth saving $66. The only potentially stressful trip would be from the rental place to the airport on the way home.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:09 am

The only potentially stressful trip would be from the rental place to the airport on the way home.
:thumb:

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:57 am

Well, you could choose a rental company that has a location at the airport as well as several others in suburban areas. Then you you uber there when you arrive and drop off at the airport when you go home.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:07 am

it is a redeye flight on the way home, so I would probably get to the airport around 8 or 8:30 pm-ish, so I would think there would be ample uber drivers around.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:30 am

Stopping at the bank during my lunch break to order Euros for my 1 week trip to Milan... how much should I get? I'm thinking 300? Use my card as much as possible and use the cash for what's needed beyond that?

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:35 am

Make sure you let your card companies know that you're going to Europe.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:37 am

Yup. That was also planned for lunch break today.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:32 pm

Yea, 70 to 79 would be way faster. I graduated from Ambridge so let me know if you have any other questions about the area
Update. Looks like the fastest way (by at least a six minute margin) will actually be to go the whole way to Cranberry on the turnpike and come down 79 South. Probably the most stress free way too.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:13 pm

A not very hypothetical question:

I’m planning on renting a car for all 5 days of vacation this year. I could potentially save $100 over the course of those 5 days by renting a car at a rental spot other than the airport. Obviously we would have to take an Uber from the airport to the rental place, but it looks like the cost of an Uber would be about $17 per trip. Is it worth the rigamarole of catching an Uber, taking a 15 minute drive, then renting the car at some suburban location instead of the airport?
If you don't have a corporate rate, look online for codes from IBM or something and you can save some cash with enterprise

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:59 am

I officially passed the million mile mark in American miles yesterday. So long as the value is there, I have no intention of paying for another airline ticket for many, many years.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Travel Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:24 pm

Yea, 70 to 79 would be way faster. I graduated from Ambridge so let me know if you have any other questions about the area
Update. Looks like the fastest way (by at least a six minute margin) will actually be to go the whole way to Cranberry on the turnpike and come down 79 South. Probably the most stress free way too.
Yea, from Lancaster to Ambridge that would be the fastest way. I got thrown off when you said 70 and thought you were starting somewhere else

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:34 pm

...went to Pujol...
Please describe, using your best words.
https://media.tenor.com/images/0633712f ... /tenor.gif

it was a very interesting, fun experience. In preparation I watched the Chef's Table episode on Netflix about Pujol. Definitely set my expectations pretty well

we were in a large group so I think we "had" to do the tasting menu. We got about...9 or so dishes? none of them were huge portions but there were enough plates that I was satiated.

I can't remember them exactly but this is the best I can do:
First dish - argh...some sort of black bean and cheese on a tortilla. I joked with the people I was with that it looked like a pizza bagel so that's how we referred to it during and after. It was delicious though

Second - can't remember the specifics, but it's a mayo with crushed ant with baby corn. They detail this dish pretty well in the Chef's Table episode

Third - Black bean paste topped with cheese, avocado and tomato on a grilled tortilla. Nothing special but still good

Fourth - sweet potato on a white mole sauce. The mole was coconut base I think. Inventive and quite good

Fifth - octopus tentacle with a spicy mango sauce. Maybe one of my favorite things I've ever eaten. The octopus was cooked to perfection; the mango sauce was sweet and then hit you with a significant amount of heat. Some of the people I was with even complained that it was "too hot" (which I found pretty lame but whatever) but I didn't think it was that overwhelming

Sixth - seared seabass. I'm a picky eater but I didn't have a problem eating any dishes up until this point. I just don't like fish. Others really enjoyed it though

Seventh - can't remember it exactly...I think it was a tamarind sorbet with the classic mezcal worm salt on it.

Eighth - mole madre. Definitely one of if not the most interesting, complex tastes I've had. The mole was very thick, worked well both with a tortilla and just by itself. Not everyone in my party liked it though; I think its complexity makes it divisive, but at the very least is worth the try

Ninth - coffee tamale, ginger ice cream and honeycomb. Individually they weren't too spectacular but a mix of the three was awesome. The textures work well with each other

Tenth - churro. Perfectly made

overall, a tremendous experience. I also shared a bottle of rose and got straight mezcal at the end (didn't come with the meal but figured I'd do it similar to how the Chef's Table episode ends). the service was a little subpar which I thought was a bit weird. The total cost per person (with the tasting menu and drinks all combined and then divided by our group) was about 235 per person. I guess about what I expected. But as I said I definitely felt full and would recommend it to anyone that is interested in both food and mexican culture

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:09 am

Stopping at the bank during my lunch break to order Euros for my 1 week trip to Milan... how much should I get? I'm thinking 300? Use my card as much as possible and use the cash for what's needed beyond that?
probably too late for this advice but.....does your bank charge you a fee for that? when we went we just got Euros out of the ATM at the airport in Milan. since it was part of whatever network there was no fee for me.
and as someone else suggested, call any card you even THINK you might use and let them know you'll be traveling abroad.

count2infinity

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:14 am

No transaction fee for getting the Euros in. Just the normal exchange rate on whatever day I placed the order. So that's pretty nice.

I called all my card companies and I'm glad I did. Some have a 3% international fee, others don't have any fees for international transactions, so now I know which ones to use while I'm there.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:35 am

No transaction fee for getting the Euros in. Just the normal exchange rate on whatever day I placed the order. So that's pretty nice.

I called all my card companies and I'm glad I did. Some have a 3% international fee, others don't have any fees for international transactions, so now I know which ones to use while I'm there.
are you hitting any other cities other than Milan?
this was one of the more bizarre places our friends took us: http://www.pizzaclubnolimits.com/index.php?i=home
it's basically pizza in Fogo De Chao style. I think we tried something like 34 different kinds of pizza. some were good, others were....weird. the Very Salty Fish was indeed, VERY salty. one had coffee grounds on it. I think they made that one just to see if The Americans would eat it. Tuna and Olive was not good. :face:

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:39 am

Anchovy?