Watch your flank.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:11 pm

Bayonets!

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:13 pm

Spending the day and evening in Gettysburg for the first time, what's a must?
As Freddy said Little Round Top is a must..the view from Devil's Den gave me goosebumps thinking about the fighting that happened there. There is a fire tower in Gettysburg that is a fun little climb...there are several towers like that actually. The new visitor center is awesome...highly recommend of course. The Gettysburg Museum of History is free (accepts donations) and is absolutely worth a stop. So many cool artifacts there.

I absolutely love visiting that town. Even more so now that I'm finally reading Killer Angels.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:57 pm

Have they updated the battle map in the visitors center? The last time I went I think George Bush was President. (The first one.) I'm sure a modernized version of that would be cool.

Viva la Ben

Travel Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:00 am

In just over two weeks we’re doing our family camping trip to Knoebels in Elysburg, PA. My wife went with her family longer, but this will be the 20th year we’ve gone together.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:12 am

Spending the day and evening in Gettysburg for the first time, what's a must?
As Freddy said Little Round Top is a must..the view from Devil's Den gave me goosebumps thinking about the fighting that happened there. There is a fire tower in Gettysburg that is a fun little climb...there are several towers like that actually. The new visitor center is awesome...highly recommend of course. The Gettysburg Museum of History is free (accepts donations) and is absolutely worth a stop. So many cool artifacts there.

I absolutely love visiting that town. Even more so now that I'm finally reading Killer Angels.
thank you all. We were thinking about a ghost tour in the evening with the kids as well. Since it's just a day trip, would we be wasted using a tour guide or just hop around ourselves?

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:23 pm

I dunno, I am generally averse to tour guides except in certain situations. If you are there for just a day, I would scout out your own research ahead of time. There are plenty of websites/blogs written by history buffs that detail the coolest places to go on the battlefield. Places that 99.5% of visitors have no idea about, including the lore.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:06 pm

In just over two weeks we’re doing our family camping trip to Knoebels in Elysburg, PA. My wife went with her family longer, but this will be the 20th year we’ve gone together.
NSFW language:

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:20 pm

:lol:

That guy is fantastic...thanks for the rec.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:39 am

Mr. Plinkett?

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:44 pm

Tampa has a new rental car facility where you actually check your bag right there before you even get on the train to the terminal. That is pretty flippin sweet.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:56 am

Tampa has a new rental car facility where you actually check your bag right there before you even get on the train to the terminal. That is pretty flippin sweet.
I saw that when I was there in April! unfortunately I had already dropped our bags at the curb but I'll know for next time!

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:53 am

I saw that when I was there in April! unfortunately I had already dropped our bags at the curb but I'll know for next time!
the new rental car facility and tram at TPA is pretty slick

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:24 pm

I don't know if I think it is THE best but TPA is at least one of the best airports out there. Found a site with a good history of it- the airsides are all 20 years old or less but the overall organizational theory is the same as it was 50 years ago. Seems to work pretty well. I attend a conference in Orlando every year and have gotten to the point where I fly into Orlando and out of Tampa. The extra drive is worth avoiding the amateur hour tourists and families overloaded with baggage check in and security lines, even with Pre check, at MCO.

Also maybe I'm goofy for even noticing but there is something I really like about the font on their signage.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:32 am

I'm going to be one of those amateur hour tourists flying in and out of MCO in about a month. Any pointers?

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:34 am

I'm going to be one of those amateur hour tourists flying in and out of MCO in about a month. Any pointers?
Are you doing Disney? If so, are you staying at one of the resorts where they can take care of your luggage for you?

If you answered yes to all of those, do NOT let them handle your luggage for you. It will take hours to retrieve said luggage, and is not worth that hassle.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:35 am

Are you doing Disney? If so, are you staying at one of the resorts where they can take care of your luggage for you?

If you answered yes to all of those, do NOT let them handle your luggage for you. It will take hours to retrieve said luggage, and is not worth that hassle.
Yup. Disney with the Magical Express from MCO.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:39 am

Definite grab your luggage and bring it with you on the Magical Express, IMO. It took at least 4 hours for us to retrieve our luggage.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:49 pm

Has anyone ever rented a vehicle rather than drive your own for a vacation? Our van is getting up there in age and a week in Charleston avoided with it could save some life on it. The thing I'm confused about is if I should use their insurance or if there are issues with mine. The price is double using theirs, but I don't know if there is anything I should be concerned about either way beside cost?

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Has anyone ever rented a vehicle rather than drive your own for a vacation? Our van is getting up there in age and a week in Charleston avoided with it could save some life on it. The thing I'm confused about is if I should use their insurance or if there are issues with mine. The price is double using theirs, but I don't know if there is anything I should be concerned about either way beside cost?
We rented a car to go to Niagara on the Lake (and a week later, my wife bought the same exact car that we rented she loved it so much). It was so nice not having to worry about the car breaking down at some point and having a nice new car to drive.

If you have a halfway decent insurance plan, it is never worth it to buy their insurance. Worst-case scenario, an accident is your fault and you have to submit a claim to your insurance. It will cover you in the rental car. Also, don't take any of their options to fill the tank up for you.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:27 pm

We rented a car to go to Niagara on the Lake (and a week later, my wife bought the same exact car that we rented she loved it so much). It was so nice not having to worry about the car breaking down at some point and having a nice new car to drive.

If you have a halfway decent insurance plan, it is never worth it to buy their insurance. Worst-case scenario, an accident is your fault and you have to submit a claim to your insurance. It will cover you in the rental car. Also, don't take any of their options to fill the tank up for you.
Great thanks, I should have full coverage, so I don't think that would be an issue. Do you have to pay a deductible or anything if you use your insurance? I can get a new minivan for $334 for a week, so I think that would be a no brainer...

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:32 pm

If you have credit cards, maybe check and see if any of them offer supplemental insurance if you pay using the card. My Visa cards with USAA have that, it's an added layer of security on top of your regular auto insurance. I tore down a gas pump facade with a rental truck and reported it to them, never even heard how it turned out and my rates never went up.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:52 pm

If you were in an accident, your deductible would be whatever it is on your normal policy.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Definite grab your luggage and bring it with you on the Magical Express, IMO. It took at least 4 hours for us to retrieve our luggage.
this

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:17 am

this
If you pack a carry on with items you need immediately, what's the harm in waiting a while on the luggage? We plan on exploring the resort, having dinner, then going to the park. I was looking forward to the convenience of not having to worry about the luggage.