Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:59 am

the metro is a pain but it will get you anywhere

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:02 am

the metro is a pain but it will get you anywhere
please show your work.
I come from a town with a train system that is easy to navigate but not very useful:

note: this is a slightly older map. they had to change the name of the Yellow line to the Gold line because it goes through the Asian part of town and people were offended. true story.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:07 am

i have friends that live there that have no car and no need to ever buy one. and whenever I visit we take the metro anywhere we want to go. that's all I got

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:08 am

Samsonite
I was way off

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:33 am

Samsonite
I was way off
What did you do?

Nuge

Travel Thread

Postby Nuge » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:42 pm

Samsonite
I was way off
What did you do?
Slippy, Slappy, Swinson, Swenson, Swanson?

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:21 pm

I come from a town with a train system that is easy to navigate but not very useful:
Los Angeles subway map

The large white void (pun intended) where the logo and name are in the upper left is where all the fun and useful stuff is located. You will notice the complete lack of rail access. If the Purple Line continued west from it's terminal at Wilshire/Western, it would eventually get to Beverly Hills, Westwood, and Santa Monica. Which is why it stops at Wilshire/Western. Rich people don't want the hassle of plebs gaining convenient access to their 'hood. When it was suggested they build an express line with no stops in 90210, the residents still balked; construction noise, yo.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:30 am

Anyone know what European city is the cheapest direct flight from Pittsburgh?

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:46 am

Anyone know what European city is the cheapest direct flight from Pittsburgh?
AFAIK, there is only 1 direct flight to Europe: Paris. This year they are adding a direct to Frankfurt and Reykjavik. Not sure if they have started or not, but the Reykjavik flight is supposed to be $100 one way.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:49 am

that $100 one way thing is a total crock of sht. Kenny the kangaroo looked through the calendar for like six months on the wow website, and there was like 2 days where you actually could get a ticket for $100

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:54 am

Word. On that note....... Anyone know what European city is the cheapest from Pittsburgh with a layover?

My wife and I are looking into doing a week and a half to two weekish trip through a couple places in Europe next year and I figured might as well find the cheapest flight and start from there. Anyone have experience with Groupon, Living Social, or any other vacation packages that I inherently don't trust because everyone is out to screw you over?

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:49 pm

I'm interested in what you find out DD, so keep us updated. Neither my wife or myself have been to Europe, so it's always in the back of our minds how much we need to save up for a trip.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:52 pm

If you can avoid Frankfurt, please do. I'm sure it's a lovely city, but the airport is junk. Which sucks, because it's a major hub.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:02 pm

If you can avoid Frankfurt, please do. I'm sure it's a lovely city, but the airport is junk. Which sucks, because it's a major hub.
This is true.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Word. On that note....... Anyone know what European city is the cheapest from Pittsburgh with a layover?

My wife and I are looking into doing a week and a half to two weekish trip through a couple places in Europe next year and I figured might as well find the cheapest flight and start from there. Anyone have experience with Groupon, Living Social, or any other vacation packages that I inherently don't trust because everyone is out to screw you over?
weve flown from pgh to chicago to heathrow several times and has been manageable. i was looking at flights from jfk to barcelona earlier and they were quite reasonable and easy to get to jfk

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Yes. No. Yes, yes.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:23 pm

weve flown from pgh to chicago to heathrow several times and has been manageable. i was looking at flights from jfk to barcelona earlier and they were quite reasonable and easy to get to jfk
I have been to Europe four times in my life. Twice to London, and once each to Italy and Spain. The two London trips involved layovers/plane changes at JFK, the two continental trips involved layovers/plane changes in Frankfurt. If you can't fly direct, the JFK route is preferable. Dealing with a plane change on top of going through passport control is bollocks.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:26 pm

Also, you guys are lucky to be on the eastern bit of the country as regards Europe trips. From here it's 14 hours of flying.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:30 pm

I have been to Europe four times in my life. Twice to London, and once each to Italy and Spain. The two London trips involved layovers/plane changes at JFK, the two continental trips involved layovers/plane changes in Frankfurt. If you can't fly direct, the JFK route is preferable. Dealing with a plane change on top of going through passport control is bollocks.
i would agree. we have also connected thru CLT a few times with strong success as well.

i will say to DD's initial note, sign up for some credit cards and get the points. with about 2 years of planning we had round trip business class tickets free

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:32 pm

Yes, rewards credit cards are fantastic. In just over two years, I have earned 180,000 miles on United strictly through purchases, and we'll be cashing those in for 1st class upgrades for our trip to Hawai'i on Friday. (Your wife only turns 50 once)

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:37 pm

I almost got left behind by my military charter in Frankfurt. At least my seat was by the door so I didn't have to do the walk of shame all the way to the back of the plane.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:37 pm

- O'Hare or Midway? My last connection in O'Hare in route to San Diego resulted in a flight to LA and a 2 AM drive to San Diego. Never again.

- The prices out of JFK are reasonable. Same with Philadelphia, though that airport sucks donkey dick and ass at the same time.

- Good call on the credit cards. I'll try to narrow down an airline and then choose a card.
(Your wife only turns 50 once)
In my experience, women never turn 50.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:40 pm

Ha, good point. But we're all-in on the Hawai'i 5-0 angle, t-shirts and everything.

Annnnnnnd 1st class is sold out on both flights. :|

LITT

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:45 pm

- O'Hare or Midway? My last connection in O'Hare in route to San Diego resulted in a flight to LA and a 2 AM drive to San Diego. Never again.

- The prices out of JFK are reasonable. Same with Philadelphia, though that airport sucks donkey dick and ass at the same time.

- Good call on the credit cards. I'll try to narrow down an airline and then choose a card.
(Your wife only turns 50 once)
In my experience, women never turn 50.
ohare. wasnt terrible

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:48 pm

Oh I love O'Hare the airport. I would probably live inside of it if I could. Frontera Tortas is the best airport food in existence. However as a connection the plethora of possible weather delays triggers all of my travel neuroses.