Travel Thread

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:57 pm

Right.

So the layover time is not an issue with the airline scheduling, it's just not appropriately accounting for your anxiety
I mean it does say right on the website...note short layover with an exclamation point :lol:

Like I said we purposely picked long layovers when we picked our flights because of how we both are. Neither one of us mind just chilling in the airport for a few hours.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:11 pm

I'm someone who not only is ok with short timelines, I almost encourage them (I have to work hard to convince myself to get to an airport more than an hour early, which I know is dumb, but precheck makes it viable) but I think it's reasonable to want to avoid the anxiety of a 35 minute layover

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:16 pm

Man, have you guys never landed early and proceeded to sit at the gate while the airport scrambles to find people to actually move the jet bridge into place? Just because you land on time doesn't mean that you're getting off the plane on time.

Troy Loney

Travel Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:26 pm

Man, have you guys never landed early and proceeded to sit at the gate while the airport scrambles to find people to actually move the jet bridge into place? Just because you land on time doesn't mean that you're getting off the plane on time.
No, that specific thing has never happened to me.

I've had medical emergencies where they ask for a doctor, i've had a broken door and a broken toilet delay takeoff, I did have one stretch though where American kept cancelling the flight out of Pittsburgh the night of. So I'd get a text in the middle of the night to have to change my flight to get in that day. And one time we landed too early and the flight out of the gate was still there, so we had to sit on the runway.

In my experience, the most at-risk delays are mid-day flights. As long as the flight out of Pittsburgh is early and the incoming flights was from the night before, then there would likely be no risk of a takeoff delay out.

But, like all things, you remember 0% of the times that it everything runs as expected and 100% of the times that it doesn't.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:48 pm

With one exception, I've never had a ground delay that lasted more than about 20 minutes. One time my aircraft had a mech/tech fault that wouldn't clear, and it took a really long time to rectify. What was fun about it was it was post-boarding, so we were stuck in the aircraft for the whole duration. The big problem was the actual error was fixed within about 45 minutes, but because it was outside the departure window (which iirc is like 30 minutes) we couldn't depart under the original flight plan, so el Capitan had to re-file (with the airline and FAA) and that approval process took well over an hour.

Another time we arrived at SIN an hour early, and they made us fly around punching airplane-shaped holes in the sky over Indonesia for 30 minutes until they could work us into the stack.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:57 pm

Yup a few times. You get so excited since you’re early but then you sit there.

Womp!

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:08 pm

Was able to change our flight online today ...so crisis averted on the short layover...until they change it again haha.

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:05 pm

Had some extra time in Dallas today so I drove the last part of the JFK Motorcade route. It was an interesting piece of history. I don’t know if I think Lee Harvey did it or not but the School Book Depository is right up on the street, it’s not hard to believe on the surface, anyway.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:23 am

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:32 am

Had some extra time in Dallas today so I drove the last part of the JFK Motorcade route. It was an interesting piece of history. I don’t know if I think Lee Harvey did it or not but the School Book Depository is right up on the street, it’s not hard to believe on the surface, anyway.
If you ever have extra time there again, you should go into the museum. You can go very close to the spot Oswald was when he shot (allegedly).

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:01 am

If you ever have extra time there again, you should go into the museum. You can go very close to the spot Oswald was when he shot (allegedly).
I actually didn't think of it until i was on I-45 headed into town, but I will make some time for it next time. Most of our facilities are in Houston but we have one almost exactly halfway to Dallas so I have been scheduling that last and just flying home out of DFW.

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:00 pm

And while you're there, go find one of the Hard Eight BBQ locations. Thank me later.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:29 pm

New rules for European travel

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias_en
Starting in mid-2025, some 1.4 billion people from over 60 visa-exempt countries are required to have a travel authorisation to enter 30 European countries for a short stay.
Doesn't go into effect for like 18 months, but posting it now in case anyone really wants to get a jump on things. The authorization (correct spelling) is good for three years (or your passport exp date, if sooner) and only costs like 10 bucks. This is not a visa (still need one for stays longer than 90 days), nor does it take the place of your passport (still need to produce that at border entry). I'm not really sure what purpose this program serves other than incremental revenue generation. Anyhoo, fyi.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:54 pm

This is the Real ID of European travel.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:54 pm

New rules for European travel

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias_en
Starting in mid-2025, some 1.4 billion people from over 60 visa-exempt countries are required to have a travel authorisation to enter 30 European countries for a short stay.
Doesn't go into effect for like 18 months, but posting it now in case anyone really wants to get a jump on things. The authorization (correct spelling) is good for three years (or your passport exp date, if sooner) and only costs like 10 bucks. This is not a visa (still need one for stays longer than 90 days), nor does it take the place of your passport (still need to produce that at border entry). I'm not really sure what purpose this program serves other than incremental revenue generation. Anyhoo, fyi.
i think you figured out the purpose exactly

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:57 pm

RealID is an actual thing, though. This is just..... like, all you do is enter your name and passport number and pay the fee.

Ad@m

Travel Thread

Postby Ad@m » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:43 pm

**** cruise ships

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:46 pm

being sick while stuck on a cruise ship feels like the closest most Americans can get to being tortured

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:49 pm

Who the **** would cruise from Florida to Hawaii? That sounds like actual hell.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:14 pm

I guess to see the Panama Canal? Still...

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:26 pm

Probably norovirus. Someone barfs or takes a dump and doesn't adequately wash their hands, and anyone who touches the same things that the sick person with barfy or poopy hands touched also ends up throwing ballast out of both ends. The norovirus can survive for weeks on surfaces like handrails, elevator buttons, door pulls, etc. It can actually be aerosolized and infect other people through the air from vomiting, so if someone barfs in a public areas on a cruise ship, other people can get infected just by breathing. And it's not killed by alcohol-based hand sanitizers. Cruise ships have norovirus outbreaks all the time.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:08 am

Dumb people.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:21 am

I booked a flight with a layover in Philly. The layover was 1.5 hours long. Pretty much perfect… until my flight to get to Philly got delayed by an hour. No clue if I’ll be able to make it, especially considering I’ll be landing in the F terminal and have to get to the B terminal for the next leg. My guess is I won’t, but we’ll see.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:27 am

F to B? Put your running shoes on.

Troy Loney

Travel Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:51 am

Look at that, you are not safe unless you give yourself a 6-hour layover.