Steelers at Sandy Eggo Week 6 GDT

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:33 pm

I have made the claim, and still maintain the claim that the chargers will always be #5 in NFL fandom in LA behind:

Rams
Raiders
Stillers
Cowboys

unless they go on a crazy streak and win a bunch of superb owls

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:36 pm

They are also behind the 9ers, SEA, Green Bay, and possibly KC now.

Didn't see it at the time, but apparently the Rams game vs SF had a similarly lopsided turnout of road team fans. (Edit: Missed the reference to this earlier itt)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:43 am

When I first moved here, I heard this line and didn't really buy into it at first. But the longer I live here, the truer it rings.

Going to the beach is sort of a 365-day a year thing for us. It's (very nearly) always nice, which means we have myriad options. If it's not the beach, we've got great hiking trails, and skiing is a 2-hr drive away. Central coast wine country is a shorter drive from my house than Stubhub Stadium. There are three dozen live venues that can support international-level entertainment. If a sportsball team has a rough patch mid-season, they're irrelevant. If they go through years of struggle? People forget they exist. USC used to be covered like an NFL team by local media; since two actual NFL teams got here, the program is losing SoCal recruits to frickin' AZ State. (I think this year they had 0 or 1 5-star recruits)

And it's not just that the people here are transplants, the teams are, too. The Dodgers and Lakers came here from thousands of miles away; the Raiders came here chasing free money, and went back from whence they came 25 years ago, and they are still far and away the most popular NFL team among Angelenos; the Rams came here from Cleveland, played 15 years in Anaheim, then moved to Missouri for two decades; the Clippers (whatever that is) started life in New York. The Kings are OG to LA, and it took them winning 2 chips in 3 years (or whatever it was) for them to get real traction in terms of a fanbase, and not just a collection of 16,000 people hoping to see Tom Hanks rinkside at the Forum while the most famous player in the history of the game spent ten years not winning Cups.
The only thing that'll get them is the chance to host a Super Bowl...
Already on the books. Superb Owl LVI will be played on February 6, 2022, at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, CA.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:17 am

They are also behind the 9ers, SEA, Green Bay, and possibly KC now.

Didn't see it at the time, but apparently the Rams game vs SF had a similarly lopsided turnout of road team fans. (Edit: Missed the reference to this earlier itt)
There was a video taken in a bar back during the Rams SB run in 2018. The Rams scored a TD, and the reaction in the bar was...polite applause? I wish I could find the video again.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:23 am

In 1978, upon relocating, the franchise was rebranded to be known as the San Diego Clippers, in reference to the sailing ships synonymous with San Diego Bay.