English language questions

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:28 pm

The sentence:
“God will not have his work made manifest by cowards.”

I naturally understand the meaning. But, from the English point of view, I would understand:

“God will not have his work made by cowards.” or
“God will not have his work manifest(ed?) by cowards.” or even
“God will not have his work made manifestED by cowards.”

It's the 'work made manifest' that throws me off. Can anybody explain the structure of the sentence? (what belongs together, why no "ed", etc.)

Thanks!!

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:34 pm

Not sure if this helps or if I misunderstand the question, but manifest is an adjective in this sentence. God will not allow cowards to make manifest his work.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:34 pm

Additional question. I see signs that say "Drive like your kids live here."

Now, naturally, a person like dodint would laugh at such a sign, but while driving by such a sign, I jokingly said to my wife "Ha, joke's on them... I only have one kid."

She said, "Well, just move the 's'." What would you take that to mean?
I said, "skid?" and she started busting up laughing as she meant to move the s from kids to live so that it reads "Drive like your kid lives here."

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:47 pm

I do indeed laugh at that sign because it implies that I wasn't already driving carefully. And, if I were driving recklessly and disregarding my own well being it is unlikely a sign will alter my behaivor.

The on brand response, though: It's not my job to watch your kids, you do it. That sign is parenting like YouTube is a babysitter.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:50 pm

Let's eat, grandma.

Let's eat grandma.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:35 am

In English language, is there a phrase that would convey a message
"yesterday's robbers are today's upstanding citizen" ?

I need this for my lecture on Russian companies, where I will argue that even though the big block owners of major Russian firms are pretty bad people who got their wealth through illegal trades, expropriation of wealth, fraud, etc.. , the minute those "bad people" accumulated the wealth, they turned companies they own into well-governed transparent enterprises, often cross-listed in countries with good, fair laws. Simply because "good transparent firms" grow faster and are worth more than shady criminal enterprises...

(Naturally, this has been happening in every country...)

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:49 am

In English language, is there a phrase that would convey a message
"yesterday's robbers are today's upstanding citizen" ?

I need this for my lecture on Russian companies, where I will argue that even though the big block owners of major Russian firms are pretty bad people who got their wealth through illegal trades, expropriation of wealth, fraud, etc.. , the minute those "bad people" accumulated the wealth, they turned companies they own into well-governed transparent enterprises, often cross-listed in countries with good, fair laws. Simply because "good transparent firms" grow faster and are worth more than shady criminal enterprises...

(Naturally, this has been happening in every country...)
Not in this country, 100% recidivism rates.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:11 am

"Turn over a new leaf" is the only thing that is coming to me.