Non Political Current Events Thread

tjand72

Postby tjand72 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:40 pm

Question:

How did they expect them all to get there?

Why am I even responding to a Fox News article?
Fly commercial? Fly with some friends?

Isn't that supposed to cut down on fossil fuels? Carpooling and stuff.
It's better than riding in a tube with demons:

[Jesse Duplantis] Got in the plane that God so graciously gave us...as I was going home, the Lord said, "Jesse, do you like your plane?"...

[Kenneth Copeland] Can I interrupt you? You know you can't do that on an airliner. Stand up and say, "What you say, Lord?" This is so important, Jesse, and I, and others...the world is in such a shape, we can't get there without this [private jet]. We've got to have this. The mess the airlines are in today. I would have to stop 75-80, more like 90% of what we're doing doing 'cause you can't get there from here.

...that's why we're on that airplane. We can talk to God.

Now Oral (Roberts) use to fly airlines, but it got to the place where it was agitating his spirit. People coming up to him, he had become famous, and they wanting him to pray for them. You can't manage that today, this dope-filled world, and you get into a long tube with a bunch of demons, and it's deadly.

[Duplantis] It works on your heart, it really does.
The rest of that is fun. The inside edition interview is a little scary:

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:52 pm

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:03 pm

There's a great picture of the king and his wife at something called a "Royal Ploughing Ceremony." :lol: very apt for this chap. He's been plouging alright. :fist:

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:57 pm

I thought this thread was supposed to be Trump free?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:58 pm

I enjoyed this news, though

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:18 pm

Question:

How did they expect them all to get there?
Airlines flying year-round to Falcone Borsellino Airport (PMO) in Palermo, Italy: Air Italy, Air Malta, Alitalia, Danish Air Transport, easyJet, easyJet Switzerland, Eurowings, Lufthansa, Pobeda, Ryanair, Transavia France, Tunisair, Volotea, and Vueling. Add in airlines flying seasonal routes to Palermo, and you have probably another 20 airlines, including Air France and British Airways. Alitalia is in SkyTeam, and Lufthansa in Star Alliance, which means you would also be able to codeshare flights through Delta, United, and every other airline in those alliances.

So the answer would be: Any of the regularly-scheduled flights offered by the dozens of airlines that operate (either directly or though their alliance partners) flights to Palermo.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:19 pm

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busin ... 920522001/
Detroit — Federal prosecutors signaled Monday they continue to investigate other top officials within the United Auto Workers for corruption as former union vice president Norwood Jewell was sentenced to 15 months in federal prison for accepting bribes.

The disclosure comes four years into an investigation that has shown union leaders received cash and other benefits, including lavish trips, private villas and other perks paid by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles executives bent on wringing concessions from the union.
Just unions doing union things, right WK?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:20 pm

Yeah, I don't think it is remotely shocking that large union leaders are corrupt AF

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:04 pm

As a former Scout, this makes me sad.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/boy-scout ... xual-abuse
“It is apparent that the Boy Scout Defendants continue to hide the true nature of their cover-up and the extent of the pedophilia epidemic within their organizations because the vast majority of new victims coming forward involve claims of abuse at the hands of pedophiles who are not yet identified by the Boy Scouts of America,” the complaint said.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:05 pm

Ouch.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:50 pm

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/06/74757149 ... priorities
Less Sex, Fewer Babies: Blame The Internet And Career Priorities

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:25 pm

Suckers

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:28 pm

I don’t weigh the Internet factor nearly as heavily as the author does. I completely understand career priorities taking precedence over children, though.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:57 am

Maybe some people just don't want to have kids and it has nothing to do with their career or the internet?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:11 pm

Or maybe in this day and age people realize they simply can't afford to have a child, so they do what they can to avoid it?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Maybe some people just don't want to have kids and it has nothing to do with their career or the internet?
I agree. Lots of motives for people to start families, but one of those has always been simply an indoctrinated expectation. This influence will diminish over time as independent thought and acknowledgement of the value of self care grows.

Cost also matters. So does the fact that people get married older, and there’s a demarcation point more often being passed for women where there are significantly higher risks because of age. But it’s just not expected anymore like it used to be.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:01 am

Barcelona confirms women can swim topless in city pools
It's OK for women to bathe topless in Barcelona's city-run pools, authorities have confirmed, after complaints that some swimming spots were discriminating against those wanting to bare more.

Kane

Postby Kane » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:40 am

Them Spaniards know how to live.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:21 pm

The Russians have just functionally admitted that a testing accident on August 8th—which is believed to have killed at least seven technicians and injured multiple others—was a test of a experimental nuclear cruise-missile engine. The Russians first said it was an accident involving a "small nuclear reactor," but they've now said it was "an isotopic power source for a liquid engine installation," which is a fancy way to say "missile engine." The test was apparently on a barge in the White Sea. It's not clear exactly how much radiation was released, and I rather doubt the Russians are going to be honest about that when this is no doubt a top-secret test.

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... chernobyl/

Here's Scott Manley describing what was likely involved:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Skyfall

It's actually called Skyfall.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:11 pm

I'm positive that the "7 killed" was likely the entire boat of hundreds.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:15 pm

Isn't Russia producing some sort of "true Chernobyl" story to combat the HBO show?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:15 pm

Russia Orders Evacuation of Village Near Site of Nuclear Accident

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/worl ... ident.html
The Russian authorities on Tuesday announced the evacuation of the village nearest to the site of a nuclear accident in northern Russia, suggesting dangers more grave than initially reported.

Officials have insisted radiation levels are not elevated and that the displacement of the population of the village, home to about 450 people, should not be called an evacuation, a word redolent of disaster.

“There is no evacuation,” the governor of the Arkhangelsk region, Igor Orlov, told the Interfax news agency Tuesday. “That is complete nonsense.”

Residents of Nenoksa, the village closest to the incident, were told to leave on a special train that would be sent to their community, TV29, a local news outlet, reported on Tuesday. It attributed the move to events at the nearby base from 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. on Wednesday, but did not elaborate on those events or explain the time frame.

A regional news site, Northern News, reported that doctors at a civilian hospital in Arkhangelsk, the largest city in the region, who first treated victims of the accident, had not been informed of radiation danger.

After treating the patients, the doctors at the Arkhangelsk Regional Clinical Hospital found that their scrubs were causing radiation meters to click, the site reported.

The patients were taken to Moscow and the rooms where they had lain were sealed. Then, the report said, the doctors were also transferred to the capital for medical evaluations.
Hmm…

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:17 pm

Russia, man.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Sounds familiar