Non Political Current Events Thread

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:58 pm

I’m glad you’ve got all the answers. Must make life much easier.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:00 pm

Seems excessive to give fake tits a 9 year old.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:10 pm

I’m glad you’ve got all the answers. Must make life much easier.
Know for damn sure a 9 year old doesn’t.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:17 pm

I’d rather the kids go through that than possibly **** ing up their physical health forever.
The parents decided they’d rather their child go through a reversible process than possibly **** up their child’s mental health forever.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:35 pm

I’d rather the kids go through that than possibly **** ing up their physical health forever.
The parents decided they’d rather their child go through a reversible process than possibly **** up their child’s mental health forever.
Well if their kid decides to not transition, hopefully they won’t have osteoporosis or infertility because their parents made a bad decision.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:40 am

I think I've told the story before, but on Kindergarten meet the teacher night one of the parents mentioned that this was Alex's first year being Alice. One of our friends from church immediately pulled their kids out of the school district to home school them because they just couldn't explain it to their child. Two years later my daughter has never mentioned anything about her that needed explaining.

Personally, I thought that was crazy early to make that decision. Luckily, I have a sister with a PhD in psychology who works with kids in primary education. She said that while its rare at that age, kids know when there's something different about them, when something is "wrong."

I wonder if the continued fight about gender norms doesn't play into this. If a boy likes tea parties and dolls, he must really be a girl trapped in a boys body and vice versa.

My personal concern would be making the wrong call (in either direction) and getting Menendez'ed when they grow up to resent me for all the pain I helped cause.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:45 pm

I think I've told the story before, but on Kindergarten meet the teacher night one of the parents mentioned that this was Alex's first year being Alice. One of our friends from church immediately pulled their kids out of the school district to home school them because they just couldn't explain it to their child. Two years later my daughter has never mentioned anything about her that needed explaining.

Personally, I thought that was crazy early to make that decision. Luckily, I have a sister with a PhD in psychology who works with kids in primary education. She said that while its rare at that age, kids know when there's something different about them, when something is "wrong."

I wonder if the continued fight about gender norms doesn't play into this. If a boy likes tea parties and dolls, he must really be a girl trapped in a boys body and vice versa.

My personal concern would be making the wrong call (in either direction) and getting Menendez'ed when they grow up to resent me for all the pain I helped cause.
This is a sound post.

I would never pull my children out of public school because of that...that's crazy to me, for sure. That said, I go to a fairly conservative Presbyterian church and I'm sure I would find a lot of disagreement there.

Again, I think most of us are in the middle ground. Outside of obviously buying more girl-oriented clothes and decorations, etc, I have never, ever forced any kind of gender norms onto my daughter. Her favorite things right now are Transformers Rescue Bots, Lega Ninjago, and Pokemon. She can't stand dolls, and much to my wife's chagrin, she doesn't like princesses anymore.

There are genuinely some parents out there that would see this, and because of their own social views, would immediately start thinking that maybe they should just let their daughter live as a boy moving forward. Because, clearly she doesn't conform to any of her gender norms, right? That's madness to me. I feel like you are dooming your child to a lifetime (and most importantly, a schooling experience) where they don't fit in, they are bullied, they wonder what is wrong with themselves, etc. It just seems cruel to me.

I dunno, your sister obviously knows her stuff. But I just don't understand why we don't trust kindergarteners to do a lot of things, but making a biological decision that will affect them forever is something we are cool with.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:05 pm

I dunno, your sister obviously knows her stuff. But I just don't understand why we don't trust kindergarteners to do a lot of things, but making a biological decision that will affect them forever is something we are cool with.
I have no experience or education in this kind of situation, but I would imagine that there's a big difference between a girl who likes to play with trucks and wear jeans versus a girl who tells her parents she doesn't think her body it the right gender. I know kids aren't supposed to be able to make important decisions, but I feel like that's something a kid would just "know". Even at a young age, I had crushes on girls in kindergarten and knew I liked girls and not boys. I'd think it would be the same when knowing whether your junk was right or wrong.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Source of the post Even at a young age, I had crushes on girls in kindergarten and knew I liked girls and not boys. I'd think it would be the same when knowing whether your junk was right or wrong.
This is pretty much where I'm at with this, as well.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:25 pm

I guess I just don’t see the difference between say schizophrenia and gender dysphoria.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Do you see any difference between schizophrenia and homosexuality?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Yes.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:35 pm

I've said this before, but gender dysphoria is a mental disorder that should be compassionately treated. As you know, suicide rates for transgender people specifically are astronomically higher than the general population. And while the convenient narrative from the T movement is that it's due to bullying and lack of acceptance, that's not really accurate. It's much higher because when gender dysphoria is present, it usually presents with a host of other mental illnesses - depression, bipolar disorder, and so forth. While bullying obviously exacerbates those factors, those *are* the primary factors.

Homosexuality is not something that needs to be "treated', of course. The vast majority of gay and lesbian people out there live fairly normal lives, or at least much more normal than 20 years ago. There is a reason why trans people have such high suicide rates (and much higher than gay or lesbian people), and it's not a lack of acceptance. Which is why I don't like the idea of puberty blockers, letting kindergarteners tell us they want to be another biological sex, etc. It just sets the kids up for a bad time in the future, imo.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:44 pm

And while the convenient narrative from the T movement is that it's due to bullying and lack of acceptance, that's not really accurate. It's much higher because when gender dysphoria is present, it usually presents with a host of other mental illnesses - depression, bipolar disorder, and so forth. While bullying obviously exacerbates those factors, those *are* the primary factors.
On what are you basing this conclusion? Like, why is it a 'convenient narrative'?

Suicide and Suicidal Behavior among Transgender Persons
The suicide attempt rate among transgender persons ranges from 32% to 50% across the countries. Gender-based victimization, discrimination, bullying, violence, being rejected by the family, friends, and community; harassment by intimate partner, family members, police and public; discrimination and ill treatment at health-care system are the major risk factors that influence the suicidal behavior among transgender persons.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:51 pm

What is the difference between anorexia and gender dysphoria?

Asking people that don’t believe it to be a mental disorder. Again, I am not saying mental disorder as a bad thing.
Last edited by grunthy on Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:52 pm

As you know, suicide rates for transgender people specifically are astronomically higher than the general population. And while the convenient narrative from the T movement is that it's due to bullying and lack of acceptance, that's not really accurate. It's much higher because when gender dysphoria is present, it usually presents with a host of other mental illnesses - depression, bipolar disorder, and so forth. While bullying obviously exacerbates those factors, those *are* the primary factors.
But is their depression, bipolar disorder, etc. brought on, at least in part, because they are "trapped" in the wrong body and dealing with the reaction from family/peers? It's a chicken and egg situation, no? Even in the most accepting family and environment, I feel like believing you've got the wrong genitals would cause depression.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:56 pm

Asking people that don’t believe it to be a mental disorder. Again, I am not saying mental disorder as a bad thing.
I understand where you're coming from. I just don't know how we can say, conclusively, that it is a mental disorder. What makes believing you should have boy parts instead of girl parts a mental disorder but believing you should have sex with the same gender not?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:02 pm

I understand where you're coming from. I just don't know how we can say, conclusively, that it is a mental disorder. What makes believing you should have boy parts instead of girl parts a mental disorder but believing you should have sex with the same gender not?
If you look into the mirror and say that you don’t agree with what is physically there, I’d say that is a mental disorder. Not sure how that is different than an anorexic person saying the same thing when looking in a mirror.

Having feelings for someone is completely different than disagreeing with your physical self.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:16 pm

Anorexics almost always have an voice inside their head that encourages their illness/destroys their self-esteem. I'd say it's closer to schizophrenia than most people realize. I've never heard a trans person say they had a voice inside their head telling them their parts were wrong.

Again, I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, but more of a "how can we ever know for certain" situation.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:21 pm

I understand where nobody is coming from:
If you have certain organs but feel like you shouldn't, that's a mental disconnect, either brought upon by chemical means, brain development, whatever.

A male being attracted to another male isn't the same if you strip away social constructs. And while those social constructs may lead to gender identity, the fact that 5 years old are speaking up to say that things aren't right seems to take something away form the social construct reasons.

Long story short, I don't know the answers.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:32 pm

Somewhat related

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:42 pm

I don’t think we know enough about the brain to really know why what happens with a trans person does. Is the “feeling” of attraction that makes a person gay different than the “feeling” of a trans person that they’re in the wrong body? Is the brain of an anorexic person saying my body isn’t good enough the same as that of a trans person saying I’m in the wrong body? For an anorexic, the solution is counseling to have the appropriate perception of yourself. Have there been success stories of trans people going to therapy and that “wrong body” aspect going away?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:44 pm

Has there been any scholarly work done on the rates of people seeking to legally marrying their pets or favorite trees in the aftermath of Obergefell?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Why would there need to be?

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:07 pm

Because tif is now posting at an LBL level.