Non Political Current Events Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:28 pm

DG IS FAKE NEWS

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:29 pm

We have social media apps blocked on my daughter's phone and she doesn't even care at this point being in Sr high. It's nice.
She's probably using them in Safari.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:30 pm

Ground her for using Safari in the first place...

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:36 pm

No, because Safari is the only browser where you can successfully block URLs in iOS. You can limit adult content/sites/searches in iOS, but only in Safari. If they have Chrome etc., there are no parental controls other than not allowing it in the first place or restricting via screen time. They need some sort of browser, just not the one that is wide open.

Of course, you can block via router or firewall, but if they turn off wifi and use cellular...then it's wide open again.

My kids are VERY adept at getting around parental controls: we still confiscate phones at night because of their industriousness. :lol:

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:39 pm

We have social media apps blocked on my daughter's phone and she doesn't even care at this point being in Sr high. It's nice.
She's probably using them in Safari.
Is that an apple thing? They do not exist in our house. It was funny because she was trying to explain what tick tock is to me this weekend after seeing dumb people at the point and she said her group of friends all have parents block social media and nobody ever unblocked any of it so they don't care about any of that stuff and I felt really good about this part of her life.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:46 pm

That's excellent. Yeah, I assumed that she had an iPhone. I am the only Android user in my family, and know of only 1 friend that has one. I have no idea what parental controls are on Android. I can barely keep up with Windows 10 and iOS controls.

My boys use Snapchat a good bit, but took away tiktok because it's awful. Neither kid wants it anyway. No to Facebook, Insta, or Twitter. They may use Twitter for sports/fantasy football info, but they aren't on it much. (I can see their activity, down to app and browser level).

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:48 pm

Damn how's a kid supposed to watch pron these days

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:49 pm

My daughter is in second grade, and still has that happy youthful innocence. I am dreading those years.
I talked to my son recently about those years and he said he couldn't believe how mean some kids were to other kids including him sometimes. We agreed that most of them were probably mistreated by an older sibling or a parent and were taking it out on others.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:11 pm

Is limewire still a thing?

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:10 pm

Kane

Postby Kane » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:25 pm

Is limewire still a thing?
Now there is a blast from the past.

meow

Postby meow » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:34 pm

Who among us hasn’t melted the family computer downloading Jenna_Jameson.exe that was 3kb in size?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:54 pm

Saw this on Reddit the other day. How he is already free is beyond me.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:56 pm

$$$

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:56 pm

You have to really **** up for me to side with cyclists, but here we are.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:58 pm

You have to really **** up for me to side with cyclists, but here we are.
Literally my first thought when I read the story the other day. :lol:

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:36 pm

:face:

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:53 pm

:face:

Must've been a manual transmission. :face:

meow

Postby meow » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:59 pm

If that’s a crime, lock me up

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:36 pm

A major oil spill off the coast of Southern California fouled popular beaches and killed wildlife while crews scrambled Sunday to contain the crude before it spread further into protected wetlands.

At least 126,000 gallons (98,420 liters) of oil spilled into the waters off Orange County, according to a statement from the city of Huntington Beach.

“The spill has significantly affected Huntington Beach, with substantial ecological impacts occurring at the beach and at the Huntington Beach Wetlands,” the statement said.

The Los Angeles Times reported that birds and fish have been killed. Crews led by the U.S. Coast Guard deployed skimmers and floating barriers known as booms to try to stop further incursion into the wetlands and the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve.

The coastline was closed from the Huntington Beach Pier nearly 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) south to the Santa Ana River jetty. Officials canceled the final day of the annual Pacific Air Show that typically draws thousands of spectators to Huntington Beach, a city of about 199,000 residents about 30 miles (48 kilometers) south of downtown Los Angeles.

The Times said the oil slick is believed to have originated from a pipeline leak. The Huntington Beach statement early Sunday said “while the leak has not been completely stopped, preliminary patching has been completed to repair the oil spill site,” with additional repairs planned.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:17 pm

Huntington Beach? That would explain the mutants that live there.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:15 pm

@AuthorTony
A Somerset County woman was taken into custody after police say she crashed into a tractor-trailer on the Pennsylvania Turnpike while trying to drive in reverse on the major highway.

Christina Phillips, 45, of Friedens, was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence on Friday, Oct. 1, just after 9 p.m. She was reportedly driving a Nissan Frontier in the left lane between mile markers 96.4 and 98.1 when she hit the barrier twice and proceeded to travel in the right lane in reverse.

At this point, the driver of a Freightliner truck moved into the left lane to avoid her, but she continued in reverse and side-swiped the truck.

When police arrived, they report that both vehicles were on the side of the road and that Phillips was trying to flee the scene. She was taken into custody at that point.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:21 pm

Wow. There's a Phillips that lives just down the road from me. No idea if her name is Christina but the age is about right. She's lucky she didn't kill someone.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:45 pm

A major oil spill off the coast of Southern California fouled popular beaches and killed wildlife while crews scrambled Sunday to contain the crude before it spread further into protected wetlands.

At least 126,000 gallons (98,420 liters) of oil spilled into the waters off Orange County, according to a statement from the city of Huntington Beach.

“The spill has significantly affected Huntington Beach, with substantial ecological impacts occurring at the beach and at the Huntington Beach Wetlands,” the statement said.

The Los Angeles Times reported that birds and fish have been killed. Crews led by the U.S. Coast Guard deployed skimmers and floating barriers known as booms to try to stop further incursion into the wetlands and the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve.

The coastline was closed from the Huntington Beach Pier nearly 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) south to the Santa Ana River jetty. Officials canceled the final day of the annual Pacific Air Show that typically draws thousands of spectators to Huntington Beach, a city of about 199,000 residents about 30 miles (48 kilometers) south of downtown Los Angeles.

The Times said the oil slick is believed to have originated from a pipeline leak. The Huntington Beach statement early Sunday said “while the leak has not been completely stopped, preliminary patching has been completed to repair the oil spill site,” with additional repairs planned.
We were in HB for the airshow on Saturday; estimated crowd size was 1.5 million. Never got out of the car. lol

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:21 pm

The crowds in Southern California are why I would never want to live there.