Non Political Current Events Thread

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:47 pm

Can't believe it took this long for this to happen. So stupid.
A man was shot and killed in the parking lot of a Nashville business Friday night after a robbery "prank" for a YouTube channel went wrong, according to police.

When officers got to Urban Air in the city's Hermitage neighborhood about 9:20 p.m., they learned Timothy Wilks, 20, and a friend approached a group of people, including David Starnes Jr., with butcher knives as part of the prank.

Starnes, 23, told detectives he was unaware of the prank and shot Wilks in self-defense, the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department said Saturday in a statement.
I honestly feel terrible for the guy that shot him. Now he has to live with that for the rest of his life, and all because of a stupid CONTENT CREATOR on YouTube.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:08 am

This is crazy. Maybe I am cynical, but if I was a business owner anywhere near a large city, there wouldn't be an insurance policy in the world good enough for me to ever think of hosting "teen nights". Recipe for disaster.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation- ... 08050.html
“AMT and PFD medics were on scene and standing by for any individual seeking medical treatment,” the police post said.

An officer said he could smell pepper spray inside the trampoline park, but the department says it never used any during the incident.

Following the Saturday brawl, teen nights have been permanently canceled at all Elevate Trampoline Park locations in Illinois, owner Liz Wilson announced Monday, WMBD reported.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:50 am

I'm gonna say it...superspreader

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:51 am

This is creepy.

NAN

Postby NAN » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:23 am

Can't believe it took this long for this to happen. So stupid.
A man was shot and killed in the parking lot of a Nashville business Friday night after a robbery "prank" for a YouTube channel went wrong, according to police.

When officers got to Urban Air in the city's Hermitage neighborhood about 9:20 p.m., they learned Timothy Wilks, 20, and a friend approached a group of people, including David Starnes Jr., with butcher knives as part of the prank.

Starnes, 23, told detectives he was unaware of the prank and shot Wilks in self-defense, the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department said Saturday in a statement.
I honestly feel terrible for the guy that shot him. Now he has to live with that for the rest of his life, and all because of a stupid CONTENT CREATOR on YouTube.
I don't feel bad what so ever for the content creator.

NAN

Postby NAN » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:24 am

Sorry if already discussed but why is Timberlake in trouble?

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:56 am

Sorry if already discussed but why is Timberlake in trouble?
Something something, new Britney Spears documentary.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:24 am

So Austin's having some major power problems right now due to a winter storm:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:28 am

This is creepy.

Yikes

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:36 am

I'd say it's abusive. I am guessing that it is being shared in the context of the mistreatment of Britney Spears by the press and entertainment industry.

The only caveat I would add, is that with Spears, her tabloid persona was deliberately manufactured by people acting not in her best interest, I think that Lohan's tabloid antics were of her own device.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:01 am

So Austin's having some major power problems right now due to a winter storm:

44% is the wrong math here, right?

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:04 am

It's Texas and he might have used common core, so could be right.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:06 am

It's Texas and he might have used common core, so could be right.
:lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:06 am

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:08 am

Clicking through to the thread, he corrected himself.

He also said that the outages are more due to excess demand (rolling blackouts) than directly to weather events. It's still a weather-related cause, but it's not like hailstones are knocking down power lines; the infrastructure remains pretty much intact, so the power can be restored fairly easily once the front passes.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:09 am

Welp, we live in unprecedented times. derp.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:54 pm

:shock:

Roaring Spring paper mill closing

https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/loc ... s-of-jobs/
WTAJ has learned that Appvion, the paper mill plant in Roaring Spring, will be closing its doors for good.

Close to 300 jobs will be impacted by the closure of this long time paper mill in our central region. Employees just received notice Monday morning.

Stephen McKnight, President and CEO of the Altoona Blair County Development Corporation spoke with the company and confirmed Appvion will stop operations in late March or early April.

“The closure is a factor of an already competitive carbonless paper market but the pandemic has been the straw that broke the back on the operations and they could not see their way forward given the current restrictions that are in place,” McKnight said after speaking with the company for the reason why they are closing.

McKnight adds the ABCD Corporation is looking to market the building to try and create more jobs.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:30 pm

They closed one around here due to lack of demand due to the shutdowns.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:45 pm

They closed one around here due to lack of demand due to the shutdowns.
A paper mill?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:04 pm

Yes, up in Rutherfordton.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:57 pm

Clicking through to the thread, he corrected himself.

He also said that the outages are more due to excess demand (rolling blackouts) than directly to weather events. It's still a weather-related cause, but it's not like hailstones are knocking down power lines; the infrastructure remains pretty much intact, so the power can be restored fairly easily once the front passes.
Yep, I actually received an unprecedented email from our electric coop asking us to conserve energy because of the chance of rolling blackouts and no excess energy to cover it. The main utility company in the NW Arkansas area even performed controlled outages for up to 2-hours w/o electricity today. So far, we dipped below 0F for the last 2 nights, and there is about 6 inches of snow in front of our house. More snow to come tomorrow/Wednesday

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:46 am

:shock:

Roaring Spring paper mill closing

https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/loc ... s-of-jobs/
WTAJ has learned that Appvion, the paper mill plant in Roaring Spring, will be closing its doors for good.

Close to 300 jobs will be impacted by the closure of this long time paper mill in our central region. Employees just received notice Monday morning.

Stephen McKnight, President and CEO of the Altoona Blair County Development Corporation spoke with the company and confirmed Appvion will stop operations in late March or early April.

“The closure is a factor of an already competitive carbonless paper market but the pandemic has been the straw that broke the back on the operations and they could not see their way forward given the current restrictions that are in place,” McKnight said after speaking with the company for the reason why they are closing.

McKnight adds the ABCD Corporation is looking to market the building to try and create more jobs.
I read about this last night... That's really sad. Growing up in Blair County, I can still remember the smell from the mill. Growing up, I always thought it was unpleasant, but the last time I was home it definitely was nostalgic.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:04 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/5- ... li=BBnb7Kz

The girl from Reid's son crash woke up from her coma. Still hope and pray she has a full recovery. Seeing this makes me sick.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:10 pm

11 People Rescued From Flooded Street After 48-Inch Water Main Breaks In North Philadelphia

Authorities are advising residents to avoid an area in North Philadelphia after a water main break has left cars stranded in the street. Officials say 11 people had to be rescued from the water.

Calls began coming in just before 6 p.m. Tuesday to the 2900 block of West Hunting Park Avenue.

The avenue has been shut down between 29th Street and West Westmoreland Street.

According to the Philadelphia Water Department, it was a 48-inch water main that broke.

Swift-water rescue teams, the same ones used during hurricanes and river rescues, were called into action.

“We rescued one person from the car here and approximately 10 people out of the U-Haul building,” Philadelphia Fire Capt. Derek Bowmer said.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:03 am

Growing up in Blair County, I can still remember the smell from the mill.
To this day, I have a pavlovian response to the words 'Roaring Spring' because of that.