Non Political Current Events Thread

Postby MR25 » Wed May 10, 2023 11:32 am

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 10, 2023 11:44 am

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu May 11, 2023 10:44 am

Damn, that sucks. I did a whole lot of eating and drinking in F&F while in college and law school. My brother and I used to stop in after coming back from student rushing Pens games in order to get the half-price food after 11 pm. After finishing up day 2 of the bar exam and driving back into Oakland from Monroeville (the bar exam was held at the expomart that year), I went into F&F and got poopfaced. I also used to be part of a group that would eat lunch there every Friday.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 11, 2023 12:57 pm

The value of having a place like that is immense imo. It really grounds you in a sense of community and belonging and camaraderie.

For a few years the group of friends I ran with would get together on a monthly basis at an Italian restaurant called Goodfellas on Melrose. At times our party would be over 20 people, and they'd open up a private dining room in the back for us. But it was more regularly about 8-12 or so. After a while when we'd book the reservation they'd just confirm "The usual?" and we'd arrive and basically have apps and wine waiting for us. It was excellent. We celebrated new jobs and commiserated ones made newly past-tense. No idea how many thousands of dollars we spent there between 1998 and 2004/5 or so, nor how much food and wine was comped to us. But I do miss those friends very much. Staying in contact on social media can't compete with that.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 12, 2023 8:39 am

Anyone see this Kouri Richins story? Freaking nuts…

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri May 12, 2023 8:49 am

Anyone see this Kouri Richins story? Freaking nuts…

The poor kids.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri May 12, 2023 8:51 am

I worked with a guy long ago who told us his mother had killed his father but over time we realized most of his stories were outright lies.

What a weirdo he was.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri May 12, 2023 10:14 am

That's a book I'd be ok banning

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 12, 2023 8:59 pm

TIL there is a nasty turf battle between the Pagans and Hell's Angels... On Cape Cod.

Well, Fall River to be fair. Which is a dump.
According to the warrant, the sidewalk outside the clubhouse became a battlefield, as the two-dozen Hells Angels swarmed six or seven Pagans targets.

One Pagan member “was impaled with a dagger which was still protruding from his upper body” when police made it to the scene. Several others sustained injuries including stabbings and blunt force trauma. Several Hells Angels brandished ballpeen hammers, a signature weapon of the gang, the warrant said.

When the attack was over, “notable amounts of victims’ blood” has been splattered on both sidewalks, the sides of nearby cars and buildings, and one motorcycle visor recovered from the scene, the warrant said. The bloody melee lasted just a few minutes.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri May 12, 2023 11:49 pm

Fall river is 38 miles from the Bourne bridge. That ain't cape cod

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 13, 2023 8:10 am

Fall river is 38 miles from the Bourne bridge. That ain't cape cod
Yeah that is a verrrry liberal definition of the "cape"

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 13, 2023 12:45 pm

Nice work Ambridge police

https://imgur.com/gallery/jQxQjcF

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 19, 2023 6:17 pm

(WHTM) — A 23-year-old New Jersey man was arrested on Wednesday evening after allegedly leading State Police on a high-speed chase exceeding speeds of 140 miles per hour, according to a police report.

State Police say a gray Hyundai Elantra, driven by Alix Eugene, passed a trooper while driving 142 miles per hour on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Cumberland County and did not stop when the trooper attempted to pull the car over.

Get traffic alerts from the abc27 mobile app for the latest local delays and road closures
The chase, which lasted around eight miles, ended when State Police say the car tried to escape by swerving across two lanes into the Cumberland Valley Service Plaza. Troopers arrested Eugene without incident and he was taken to Cumberland County Prison.

Eugene is being charged with fleeing or attempting to elude an officer, reckless driving, and speeding.
It had to be going downhill, right?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 19, 2023 6:35 pm

It was actually kph…

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 19, 2023 6:38 pm

In a hurricane.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri May 19, 2023 7:33 pm

A regular Elantra can't go that fast. The Elantra N, however, has 276 HP and a top speed of 155 mph. Could have been one of those.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri May 19, 2023 9:47 pm

The N is for napalm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 24, 2023 10:50 am

No worries, he's suiting up for them:

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu May 25, 2023 9:01 am

He's going to be dead or in prison for life before the age of 40.

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Thu May 25, 2023 9:36 am

I'll give him props for the Jackie Moon hashtag haha

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 26, 2023 10:08 am

https://triblive.com/local/valley-news- ... ed-june-2/

Springdale smoke stacks coming down June 2nd.

Growing up out this way, and always seeing the smoke stacks from the turnpike bridge, it's going to be weird with them gone.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri May 26, 2023 10:16 am

Growing up out this way, and always seeing the smoke stacks from the turnpike bridge, it's going to be weird with them gone.
Living in the area the past 8 years it has been a part of my life too. I drive that part of the turnpike everyday and whether I realize it or not, it's always something I see. It's also a great landmark when I'm hiking the Rachel Carson trail. The trail is known for its terrible blazing so seeing those stacks is a good way to get my bearings again.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Mon May 29, 2023 10:01 pm

👏

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon May 29, 2023 11:41 pm

Living in the area the past 8 years it has been a part of my life too. I drive that part of the turnpike everyday and whether I realize it or not, it's always something I see. It's also a great landmark when I'm hiking the Rachel Carson trail. The trail is known for its terrible blazing so seeing those stacks is a good way to get my bearings again.
First day of my current job I started at that plant working for the dad of one of @eddy ’s friends. I’m not a thx Biden for destroying coal person whatsoever, technology has moved on. Seeing that place come down though, and the old Avon Lake plant west of Cleveland, is just absolutely gut wrenching for me. Part of my life getting torn down.

We spun that part of the company off 5 or 6 years ago but I stayed with the company that acquired us. Met some absolutely fabulous people there. Power plant people are a different breed. Practical joke central. Don’t leave your hard hat sitting around or it was getting filled with water, confetti, shaving cream…. Whatever else was handy…..

The shorter stack is for the scrubber (the taller with the stripes is capped, they did it with a helicopter, that was a fun day). It stood around 15 years.

I’m still trawling the power plants of America, just not around here anymore.

I’m too busy to go over, not sure I would want to be there anyway.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 30, 2023 10:53 pm

https://nypost.com/2023/05/30/man-goes- ... orida/amp/

Something feels off to me about this story.
According to the description of a GoFundMe campaign that Blosser launched Tuesday, she and her husband had gone on the cruise to celebrate her birthday.
“This was Ronnie’s first cruise and thankfully he had a great time and made plenty of friends,” Blosser writes. “He is our social butterfly that was always on the move and loved to make friends with everyone.”

Blosser told WTRK that her husband is “the life of the party,” adding that he loved drinking, gambling and socializing on the ship.
Other passengers on the cruise reported hearing Carnival personnel asking for Peale over the intercom multiple times throughout the day Monday, but some said they only learned that he had gone overboard from Blosser’s Facebook post.