Non Political Current Events Thread

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:04 am

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... -opioid-cr
For the first time, a federal court in Ohio is releasing a trove of data that offers far more detail about the size and scope of the nation's opioid epidemic — and about the role played by drug companies and pharmacies like CVS, Walgreens and Johnson & Johnson that profited from the rapid growth of prescription opioid sales.

"I don't think America truly understands the scope and depth, the level of penetration these pills had in their communities," says Paul Farrell with the firm Greene, Ketchum, Farrell, Bailey & Tweel. "It's going to be an awakening."
"You'll be able to see the flow, the steady flow of pills — it's not a trickle, it's a tsunami," Farrell says.

"In my hometown of Huntington, W.Va., there are 24 CVS pharmacies within 40 miles of my house. From those 24 pharmacies, you'll be able to see that 80 million [opioid] pills were distributed [over a six year period]."

The population in that region of the Ohio River valley is roughly 100,000 people.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:08 am

I've watched a few documentaries on this. Pharmaceutical companies should absolutely be held responsible for peddling both the addiction and the "cure."

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:10 am

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:10 am

sorry sorrry

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:10 am

I've *almost* watched Fed Up a few times but haven't pulled the trigger. Any good?

I have watched some really sad docs about WV; people being poisoned by their own water and fighting tooth and nail to defend the companies that are doing the poisoning because they happen to be the only employer in a county. Really unfortunate stuff.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:11 am

I've watched a few documentaries on this. Pharmaceutical companies should absolutely be held responsible for peddling both the addiction and the "cure."
It's crazy the role they played in the epidemic. The Sackler's of Purdue Pharma fame seem especially slimy.
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a ... oxycontin/

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:12 am

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/17/us/phila ... index.html
After serving nearly 28 years in prison, a Philadelphia man was freed after authorities publicly acknowledged that police and prosecutors had evidence that pointed to other suspects.

Chester Hollman III, 48, was released Monday from a state prison in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania. Philadelphia Common Pleas Court Judge Gwendolyn N. Bright had ruled that Hollman was "likely innocent" of the 1991 killing of Tae Jung Ho.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:13 am

I've *almost* watched Fed Up a few times but haven't pulled the trigger. Any good?

I have watched some really sad docs about WV; people being poisoned by their own water and fighting tooth and nail to defend the companies that are doing the poisoning because they happen to be the only employer in a county. Really unfortunate stuff.
This the Nestle stuff where they're draining the wells, and then charging people to drink the water via bottle form? IIRC they seem to be a large offender of this.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:14 am

I haven't seen it yet. Will add it to the watch list though.

And yeah, just about everything in WV, especially the southern part of the state, is sad. @Freddy Rumsen and I have discussed it here before, but driving through southern WV is like driving through a third world country. You really feel like you've left the US and are in a different world.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:18 am

This the Nestle stuff where they're draining the wells, and then charging people to drink the water via bottle form? IIRC they seem to be a large offender of this.
Dupont, in this case.
When a handful of West Virginia residents discover DuPont has been pumping its poisonous Teflon chemical into the air and public water supply of more than 70,000 people, they file one of the largest class action lawsuits in the history of environmental law.

As the citizens of Parkersburg rise up against the forces that polluted their town, the story builds out to dozens of other American cities. In fact, as many as 110 million Americans may be drinking water tainted with PFAS chemicals. Exposure to this class of chemicals has even become a global phenomenon, spreading to places like Italy, the Netherlands, and China.

Parkersburg is ground zero for this story, but this clearly is not about one place or one chemical: because of the power of the chemical lobby, PFOA is one of more than 80,000+ untested chemicals that have been approved for use, their dangers unknown.

https://thedevilweknow.com/

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:27 am

I'm not the biggest environmentalist, but this stuff is tragic.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:32 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/25/book ... risis.html

I read this book recently, then watched some HBO documentary on it. The doc had some of the footage of promotional material sent to the doctors from the Sackler Pharmaceutical company.

I am fully of the belief that healthcare is a public policy and not a market issue. This problem was the absolute product of healthcare profiteering. Folks need to use these real life disasters to make the case for single payer.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:32 am

El Chapo sentenced to life in prison for his crimes: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/17/nyre ... ncing.html

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:44 am

El Chapo sentenced to life in prison for his crimes: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/17/nyre ... ncing.html
Yet, someone likely replaced him, and the wheels move on.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:52 am

This is a cool investigation: How Kim Jong-Un gets his armored Mercedes/Maybach limousines: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/worl ... Position=1

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:21 pm

I graduated high school in Altoona in 2001. Marijuana was the drug of choice for the stoner crowd. For the popular/preppie crowd, it was 100% opioids. Percs, Vikes, Oxys, you name it. I have several close friends that died after I had left Altoona and others that went to rehab. I'm very, very lucky I left Altoona when I did, because there's a good chance I would have shared that fate since I ran with that crowd.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:28 pm

You must have been very different then, you're one of the most risk adverse people I 'know.'

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:32 pm

You must have been very different then, you're one of the most risk adverse people I 'know.'
Yeah, I dabbled in lots of stuff in high school :lol: I did a lot of dumb things pre-25 or so.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 pm

Looks like the EU is continuing it's antitrust battle, this time against Amazon:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-to- ... 1563353036
Amazon.com will face a formal European Union antitrust investigation into its dealings with third-party merchants, expanding a multipronged regulatory push that has ensnared other big Silicon Valley giants like Facebook Inc. and Google.

The European Commission, the EU’s top antitrust enforcer, said Wednesday that its investigation will look into whether Amazon is abusing its dual role as both the provider of a marketplace where independent sellers can offer products and a retailer of products in its own right.
It's obviously not surprising that Amazon is employing a butt-ton of algorithms and data to price products and target buyers accordingly. I don't really see any EC actions doing much to stop it, even in Europe.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:42 am

I'd posted the original story in the other thread, but here's an update.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ju ... y-n1031076
Judge who spared rape suspect because he was from 'good family' steps down
New Jersey's Supreme Court terminated the assignment of Judge James Troiano, who spared a teen rape suspect from adult court due to "good family," "excellent school."

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:48 am

Good.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:30 pm

Speaking of the West Virginia discussion yesterday.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/national/wa ... overdoses/
Police in West Virginia say they’re seeing a dangerous trend in Boone county.

Authorities say some drug abusers are using wasp spray as an alternative form of meth and the practice may have contributed to several overdoses.

On Friday, stores in Boone County reported selling nearly 30 cans of the spray.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Good.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:42 pm

The death toll at the arson attack on Kyoto Animation studio in Kyoto, Japan has risen to at least 33. A 41-year-old male suspect apparently entered the building, sprayed gasoline or some other accelerant, and set the building on fire. Police and fire officials are still finding bodies. Kyoto Animation is a well-recognized anime studio and publishing house that has produced a long string of popular TV shows, movies, and light novels, including Lucky Star, K-On!!, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, A Silent Voice, and Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.

Just awful. No motive has been released yet. The only thing known so far is that some witnesses reported the man was screaming "Die! or “You die!” as he set the fire.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... ed-police/

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:59 pm

Is that a coast guard joke