Non Political Current Events Thread

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:17 pm

What's your stance on thank you cards?
Handwritten and mailed within two weeks.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:14 pm

A true gentleman.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:56 am

"I love the troops. Because if they weren't the troops, I would be the troops. And I would be the worst troops."
-Mike Birbiglia

Happy Veterans Day.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:15 pm

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:24 pm

Is your rodent thread still alive?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:25 pm

It sure is.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:05 pm

Thanks Rambo

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:53 am

Thanks very much for sharing this. Serbia was absolutely decimated during WWI. Most people, like the article points out, have no idea the sacrifice that country made.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:54 am

Pretty interesting read about the recent population growth in Boise, and the reaction to the Californians that have been fleeing there from their home state over the last decade.

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... h-in-boise

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:54 am

Pretty interesting read about the recent population growth in Boise, and the reaction to the Californians that have been fleeing there from their home state over the last decade.

@tifosi77, how to bear to live in the horror that is California?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Shelter cat put in solitary confinement for 'repeatedly' letting other cats out
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-new ... n=sharebar

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:59 pm

tifosi77, how to bear to live in the horror that is California?
We manage to get by through cheating the system and other villainy. It's the only way, really.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:10 am

The lack of specificity in these stories is highly irritating. What was he vaping? If it was something illicit, the injury is no more the fault of “vaping” per se than it would be the fault of a “water pistol” if someone filled one with hydrochloric acid.
https://t.co/s7XdEw64wE

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:23 am

The lack of specificity in these stories is highly irritating. What was he vaping? If it was something illicit, the injury is no more the fault of “vaping” per se than it would be the fault of a “water pistol” if someone filled one with hydrochloric acid.
I know it's a meme, but....
Kinda hits the nail on the head. People are losing their freaking minds with this vaping thing.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:49 pm

The vaping stuff is infuriating. It is such an obvious cognitive dissonance with all of these psychotic anti-vape lunatics but it just doesn't matter. And c2i, you can add opioids to that meme too.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:34 pm

Yet another reason why I'd never live under an HOA.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/te ... s-n1082106
Texas family told to take down snowman because too early for Christmas decorations
Claudia Simonis said she is pregnant with a due date of Dec. 25, so she and her husband put up decorations early just in case.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Kinda hits the nail on the head. People are losing their freaking minds with this vaping thing.
I get it, but how long were the negative affects of smoking cigarettes swept under the rug? We’re a society of extremes, so I guess I’m more comfortable being on the cautious end of this extreme than the other end.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:00 pm

I get it, but how long were the negative affects of smoking cigarettes swept under the rug? We’re a society of extremes, so I guess I’m more comfortable being on the cautious end of this extreme than the other end.
Yeah, but the problem here is that there really has been no proof that vaping is inherently bad for you (or at least, any worse than Nicorette). All of these instances have revolved around kids vaping illicit or black market substances. Banning all flavored vapes was an absurd example of government overreach.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:01 pm

How long has vaping been a thing? 5 years? 15 years? And so far we've had how many deaths, all of which are linked to black market materials. I'm not suggesting we don't do anything. I'm just suggesting that it's a bit over the top at the moment. I don't think anything from vaping has been "swept under the rug", and you may not be suggesting that it has, but in this day and age I doubt there's been a study out there that's been destroyed due to big tobacco vape.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:06 pm

Are you comfortable in that lack of proof? Vaping is still in it’s infancy, and we really don’t know long term affects. I guess I just wonder how it will be viewed in 20-30 years.

ETA: in response to shaf

To c2i... how long does it take tobacco to yield negative affects? I don’t know, just wondering if there are parallels here.
Last edited by MWB on Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:07 pm

Yeah, but the problem here is that there really has been no proof that vaping is inherently bad for you (or at least, any worse than Nicorette). All of these instances have revolved around kids vaping illicit or black market substances. Banning all flavored vapes was an absurd example of government overreach.
I can’t imagine breathing in chemicals is good for you.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:15 pm

I don't know either. And yes, we don't really know long term effects. We don't know the long term effects of a lot of things, but I'm not running out there trying to get them banned because we don't know. I know you aren't either, but there are people who are trying to do just that.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:15 pm

I can’t imagine breathing in chemicals is good for you.
You breath in chemicals in every breath you take...

I understand your larger point, just take issue with the terminology.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:19 pm

I don't know either. And yes, we don't really know long term effects. We don't know the long term effects of a lot of things, but I'm not running out there trying to get them banned because we don't know. I know you aren't either, but there are people who are trying to do just that.
I guess there’s another question about how much research went into this before it was introduced to the population. It just seems like we’re trying to catch up to something that has a decent likelihood of being bad for you. And I’m not trying to say it’s a government issue or something they should ban.