Non Political Current Events Thread

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:30 pm

Yes.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:27 pm

I always wonder how more people aren't injured by air conditioners on the first fall day of the year...they're very back heavy and tend to be in windows in densely populated apartment complexes...

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:35 pm

Yes.
ok

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:47 pm

I always wonder how more people aren't injured by air conditioners on the first fall day of the year...they're very back heavy and tend to be in windows in densely populated apartment complexes...
I think about this every time I'm in the city. Think about how many dumb muppets are out there, and I'm sure there are hundreds of units in each city that aren't installed properly.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:44 pm

Holy sht.

If you read that tweet literally, it makes it sound like the air conditioning unit was battling the fire. #grammarpolice

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:16 pm

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:44 pm

Darwinism.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:55 pm

@tifosi77

Maui Shark Encounter Detailed, Experts Say Bite Mark is Consistent with a White Shark

https://mauinow.com/2021/02/03/maui-sha ... ite-shark/

That’d be incredibly rare, because white sharks generally remain in the depths surrounding the islands when they’re there, and I don’t believe there has ever been an officially recorded attack from one.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:32 pm

Hmmm, curious. The victims estimated the length of the fish to be around a dozen feet long, which is consistent with a great white with a 16" bite diameter. But that's still generally considered a juvenile individual; the reason the little ones stay deep when they're at Maui is because they're still subsisting on a diet of bony fish and such. Hitting something the size of a 2-person kayak would be very..... optimistic. A prey animal that size wouldn't be hollow, so that's really puffing your chest out, there, junior.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:33 pm

But.... speaking of great whites off Maui.....

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:24 am

We still haven't done Molokini yet. It's on my list, but only if we do scuba, which means I'll probably be going solo (with a tour group).

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:56 pm

Attorney’s earning the hate 😉

Pennsylvania County Prosecutor Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Female Clients
A Pennsylvania county prosecutor was charged Wednesday with sexually assaulting women who were his clients in criminal and child custody cases when he worked as a defense attorney.

Bradford County District Attorney Chad Michael Salsman was charged with three counts of sexual assault, five counts of indecent assault, witness intimidation, obstruction and promoting prostitution.

A grand jury heard women describe being coerced and assaulted.

Authorities alleged Salsman stopped charging a client in a custody case after she began having sex with him. They said a woman told Salsman she had been raped, and the next time she saw him, he directed her to enter his office in Towanda through a back door and undress.

He’s alleged to have told the women to keep quiet about his attacks, and people who worked in his law firm told investigators they repeatedly saw female clients leave his office crying.

A woman answering the phone at the Bradford district attorney’s office on Wednesday said he directed her to take down email addresses from reporters asking about the charges.

“Five women, independent of one another, experienced the same pattern of advances, coercion, and assault at the hands of Mr. Salsman when he was a defense attorney,” said Attorney General Josh Shapiro in a news release. “They had to rely on Salsman to be their advocate, to represent them at a time they felt powerless, and instead they were preyed upon.”

A grand jury report issued last week said there were other women who recounted similar attacks, but those cases occurred too long ago for criminal charges. He began practicing law in 2001.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:45 pm

We still haven't done Molokini yet. It's on my list, but only if we do scuba, which means I'll probably be going solo (with a tour group).
The day we went was very windy with rough seas, so we were only able to stay in the water for about 10 minutes. But the clarity of the water column there is insane; the channel is around 500' deep just outside the north face of the crater, and it almost feels like if someone on the bottom was wearing a bright yellow wetsuit you could see them.

You go over the rail into water that's perhaps 20' deep, and a few dozen yards north it drops into nothingness. Never seen anything quite like it before, and it honestly gave me mild vertigo.

But the best part of any dive/snorkel trip to Molokini is that on the way back you stop off in Turtle Town.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:18 am

The day we went was very windy with rough seas, so we were only able to stay in the water for about 10 minutes. But the clarity of the water column there is insane; the channel is around 500' deep just outside the north face of the crater, and it almost feels like if someone on the bottom was wearing a bright yellow wetsuit you could see them.

You go over the rail into water that's perhaps 20' deep, and a few dozen yards north it drops into nothingness. Never seen anything quite like it before, and it honestly gave me mild vertigo.

But the best part of any dive/snorkel trip to Molokini is that on the way back you stop off in Turtle Town.
My man - turtle town is indeed one of the reasons I want to do a Molokini tour. I've read about the clarity and drop-off, and want to experience it first hand. I think my wife would be too intimidated to do it, and my daughter's too young. They'd be fine staying on the catamaran, though. I mentioned this years ago, but during our last visit I went on a snorkel tour solo, and ended up doing Snuba with another family. It was amazing. Honolua Bay is still my favorite place on earth.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:25 pm

@AuthorTony

Is this in your vicinity?
A large amount of methamphetamine and marijuana were seized from a home in Somerset County on Friday, according to District Attorney Jeffrey Thomas.

A search warrant was executed by the Somerset County Drug Task Force and the Somerset County Sheriff’s Office for a home in Friedens. According to Thomas, the fugitive at the residence was taken into custody.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:27 pm

Yeah, less than half a mile from my house. A friend of mine lives two houses up from him and was giving the play by play as the bust went down. :lol:

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:29 pm

:lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:24 pm

turtle town is indeed one of the reasons I want to do a Molokini tour. I've read about the clarity and drop-off, and want to experience it first hand. I think my wife would be too intimidated to do it, and my daughter's too young. They'd be fine staying on the catamaran, though. I mentioned this years ago, but during our last visit I went on a snorkel tour solo, and ended up doing Snuba with another family. It was amazing. Honolua Bay is still my favorite place on earth.
Remember also, Turtle Town is easily accessible from the beach. It's just so cool.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:19 pm

Our sources say Tessica's hired an attorney and is weighing her legal options against Gorilla Glue. We're told the label on the product she used says do not use on eyes, skin or clothing ... with no mention of hair, which Tessica feels is misleading.
:lol: k

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:22 pm

I mean... she's kind of the reason they have to write these warning labels in the first place.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:24 pm

What should they do, though? Think of every dumb scenario in which the product could be used and print it on the label?

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:42 pm

I'm curious what her damages might be. What does she want here? For them to come up with a solvent so she can get it out without her having to cut it off?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:48 pm

Cut your hair off, wear a wig, and toss it up as a major loss because of supreme stupidity.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:50 pm

This reminds me of the story I read a long time ago who put rhino liner on the bed of his truck and then went to take a leak... forgetting that he had the stuff on his hands. It was both hilarious and painful to read about.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:53 pm

I feel like people who can't take a loss, and sue - if they lose they should have to do whatever they did to their entire body.

Glued your hair together? Enjoy the glue bath.