Non Political Current Events Thread

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue May 02, 2023 1:01 pm

Golf carts aren't really a new thing, maybe they're just a new fad? I still remember going with my wife to somewhere near Cedar Point to camp. It was a backup plan, so we didn't think it through, but found a place that was basically a flat piece of land with a pond. People with RV's everywhere. And every single one of them were driving around the campground in their golf carts, too fat and lazy to walk. It was the complete antithesis of what I think of when I camp.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 02, 2023 1:03 pm

Golf carts aren't really a new thing, maybe they're just a new fad? I still remember going with my wife to somewhere near Cedar Point to camp. It was a backup plan, so we didn't think it through, but found a place that was basically a flat piece of land with a pond. People with RV's everywhere. And every single one of them were driving around the campground in their golf carts, too fat and lazy to walk. It was the complete antithesis of what I think of when I camp.
They've always been a campground thing. But sounds like people just have them in residential neighborhoods

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue May 02, 2023 1:06 pm

They've always been a campground thing. But sounds like people just have them in residential neighborhoods
Hmm, maybe it's an RV thing. Like, all RV's come with golf carts or something. There is a large uptick in RV ownership, so maybe people are like, hey, I have my RV-baby to ride around and take my trash out, might as well use it. While I'm at it, let's pimp it out and get the most impressive one on the block because I should be the talk of the neighborhood.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 02, 2023 1:10 pm

The ones in my old neighborhood aren't Club Cars. They are high end custom carts with sound systems, custom paint jobs, and so on. I remember someone trying to sell a used one for $6000 and new ones are five figures plus. From what I could tell, people just ride around in circles on them. I could get behind renting one for the beach, or if you have a lot of acreage...but to cruise around a neighborhood aimlessly? **** off.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 02, 2023 2:22 pm

Yet another reason why I hate camping at campgrounds.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue May 02, 2023 2:26 pm

We rented a house in the Poconos with family a few years ago, and every house had a golf cart to drive around in. People would take them around the community and go to the tennis/bb courts, little grocery store, bait shop, etc.

At least a sad story about a married couple lives ruined turned into good golf cart talk!

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 02, 2023 2:40 pm

That story is kind of wild. It says they were thrown 100 yards. That's a long way to roll, so I wonder if they got hit from the back and were rocketed down the street before it started to barrel roll. I mean, it wouldn't be like a newspaper to not fact check such a claim, no?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue May 02, 2023 3:21 pm

That story is kind of wild. It says they were thrown 100 yards. That's a long way to roll, so I wonder if they got hit from the back and were rocketed down the street before it started to barrel roll. I mean, it wouldn't be like a newspaper to not fact check such a claim, no?
Car probably took that long to stop from 65.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 02, 2023 4:03 pm

I have a friend in the Clearwater, Florida area who has a business building custom 'hot rod' golf carts. Yahoo

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 03, 2023 6:38 am

https://www.wtae.com/article/hempfield- ... n/43774324

Saw all the alerts and people posting about this missing woman last night. Turns out it was a hoax and now the woman is in jail.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed May 03, 2023 7:27 am

Police initially said Stein was supposed to graduate from Penn State University this weekend, but they have since learned she had not been enrolled for the past year and a half.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 03, 2023 9:51 am

what crime could she possibly be charged with?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed May 03, 2023 9:53 am

State police said Stein faces several charges in this apparent hoax, including false alarm to the agency of public safety, false reports, disorderly conduct, and obstruction of administration of law and other government functions.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Wed May 03, 2023 6:19 pm

:lol:
A South Carolina high school threatened to remove toilet paper from the student restrooms in an effort to discourage students from flushing full rolls down the toilet, according to a local report.

“Administration has decided to take the toilet tissue out of the restrooms for the remainder of the school year,” an email sent Tuesday by Newberry High School Assistant Principal Cornelius Cromer reads, according to WIS-TV. The school website says Cromer is responsible for public relations matters.

The email, sent to teachers and students, described a new toilet paper check-out process. Starting Wednesday, bathroom goers would have been required to obtain an estimated amount of tissue paper from the school’s front office prior to using the facilities.

However, before the end of the day on Tuesday, Newberry High School Principal Brandon Ross sent a message retracting his assistant’s toilet paper plan, WIS-TV reports.

Reaction in the community has been mixed. Tyler Truesdale, who graduated from Newberry High School in 2018, told The National Desk (TND) he didn't think Cromer's message was appropriate.

In contrast, Christina Cerra told TND she believes the initial administrator’s message was warranted. As a teacher at a different South Carolina school, Christina says she speaks from her experience inside school buildings.

“[The] administration stated they cannot have toilet paper to destroy the bathrooms. You can have toilet paper; you just will go about getting it in a different manner,” she maintained.

Cerra pointed to "a rise in discipline issues across the board in schools this includes basic respect for adults, each other and facilities.”

Local attorney Robert Rikard called Cromer's email "a wholly unreasonable position for a school administrator to take." Rikard warned that such a policy, if ever implemented, would "more than likely invite litigation, and increase bullying and other behaviors that the schools do not want.”

TND did not receive a response to a request for comment from Newberry High School or Cornelius Cromer.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 03, 2023 6:21 pm

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 03, 2023 6:46 pm

How is any normal human using an entire roll of TP

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 03, 2023 6:55 pm

That is funny in that about 6 years ago, a guy we worked with got kicked out of the donut of the week club because he'd eat everyones donuts, but when it was his turn to bring donuts in, he never did. The building maintenance supervisor was the "president" of this club.

Well, when he was kicked out, he went to every bathroom and flushed a shitton of toilet paper, like almost an entire roll in all the toilets in the building (men's rooms) so they would flood and the maintenance guy and his team had to clean it all up.

He got caught because the security cameras on the floors saw him heading towards the bathrooms on all the floors around the same time things started to flood.

He was subsequently fired.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 03, 2023 7:02 pm

What a dingus.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 03, 2023 8:07 pm

I was part of a layoff at a small audio post-production place many moons ago, and a VP level sales guy got canned. He left the meeting with HR, went back to his office, unzipped, and urinated all over his desk and computer.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 03, 2023 8:16 pm

I was part of a layoff at a small audio post-production place many moons ago, and a VP level sales guy got canned. He left the meeting with HR, went back to his office, unzipped, and urinated all over his desk and computer.
:shock:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed May 03, 2023 8:28 pm

Mentally stable

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 03, 2023 8:33 pm

kids in school is one thing but any adult that destroys a bathroom in public, particularly a company office bathroom, should be forced to do 100 hours of community service

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu May 04, 2023 3:40 am

State police said Stein faces several charges in this apparent hoax, including false alarm to the agency of public safety, false reports, disorderly conduct, and obstruction of administration of law and other government functions.
Her behavior was poop, but I don't see how those charges would apply, unless there are facts that aren't being reported. "False alarm to the agency of public safety," for example, "applies when a person "knowingly causes a false alarm of fire or other emergency to be transmitted to or within any organization, official or volunteer, for dealing with emergencies involving danger to life or property." But my understanding is Stein didn't call the police or anyone else; she just texted her boyfriend that she was being pulled over and then walked away from her phone and car. Same with "obstruction of administration of law and other government functions," That applies when a person "intentionally obstructs, impairs or perverts the administration of law or other governmental function by force, violence, physical interference or obstacle, breach of official duty, or any other unlawful act." Stein didn't herself interfere, and a false text isn't an unlawful act. And "false reports" actually requires, you know, that someone make a false report to law enforcement. She didn't call the police at any point.

I can understand the police being pissed off that they spend time looking for someone that wasn't actually missing, and she did act like a jerk, but these seem like "revenge" charges back against Stein.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu May 04, 2023 6:39 am

From the article that NAN posted:
Court documents said Stein initially told police she had been abducted at gunpoint by a man in a mask, and was eventually released near her home. Police said she later admitted to making the whole scenario up.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Thu May 04, 2023 8:39 am

:face: