Hero to the stupid.

shafnutz05

Non Political Current Events Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:58 am

:shock: :lol:

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:40 pm

Does he have to be a hero or a villain though...? Like, that's my thing...it's a very new-age childish take that someone or something is either the best or the worst thing of all time immediately after it happens...

Jonathan Taylor ran for like 172 last night - is he a HOFer? Best RB in Colts history? Was that the best game by a Colts running back of all time?

That's the hot take society we live in...same thing here...Portnoy is a generic rich social celebrity...he seems like a straight up business man, he seems like a fairly grimy womanizer...it really doesn't seem like he's doing anything criminal, it also doesn't seem like he's someone that you want on a postage stamp one day...cool, what else we got going on...?

It seems like my stance on him or Musk or whoever makes it seem like I'm in their crew...but I'm not. They're just not really doing anything interesting...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:54 pm

Does he have to be a hero or a villain though...? Like, that's my thing...it's a very new-age childish take that someone or something is either the best or the worst thing of all time immediately after it happens...

Jonathan Taylor ran for like 172 last night - is he a HOFer? Best RB in Colts history? Was that the best game by a Colts running back of all time?

That's the hot take society we live in...same thing here...Portnoy is a generic rich social celebrity...he seems like a straight up business man, he seems like a fairly grimy womanizer...it really doesn't seem like he's doing anything criminal, it also doesn't seem like he's someone that you want on a postage stamp one day...cool, what else we got going on...?

It seems like my stance on him or Musk or whoever makes it seem like I'm in their crew...but I'm not. They're just not really doing anything interesting...
This post explains why you shouldn't have a response to their BAU annoying demeanors. But these allegations are appropriately prompting some public response. But, as someone who has deliberately made himself a polarizing figure, it does nothing more than just make people dig in. I mean, I guess how I would explain it is, you should care as little about the twitter pile on as I care about Ryan Whitney saying he stands with Portnoy. It's all just a massive reap/sow thing, you cultivate this image, people are likely going to believe sexual assault allegations, and if you're the lib twitter police, piling on Dave Portnoy all the time is always just going to make the hogs love him more.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:13 pm

Right. And since it doesn't seem criminal, there's really nothing here. It's like anything political...*Dems do something evil* ... "see, I told you they suck" | *GOP does something evil* ... "see, they suck"

*yawn*

The edgy rich guy seeks out young trim to crush...crazy. I sure feel [the exact same way I did before about it, with slight intensification for the week to defend my previous beliefs] about it...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:10 am

So dumb

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/astroworl ... -1.6239810
Authorities were looking to connect families with festivalgoers who were transported to the hospital, "some as young as 10" years old, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo said.

The Houston Chronicle quoted the judge as calling it an "extremely tragic night."

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:01 am

Never heard of this show. But having been on the rail for a number of huge shows, it can get a little freaky up there for sure...that's really unfortunate.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:12 pm

When you know a stock price of overvalued

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:11 am

Never heard of this show. But having been on the rail for a number of huge shows, it can get a little freaky up there for sure...that's really unfortunate.
This is nuts

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... uston.html

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:17 am

There are videos of a girl trying desperately to get a camera man to do something to halt the show, or anything at all, only to have him do nothing but yell at her and get her to leave his area. He didn’t even make an attempt to stop and think about what she was telling him.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:48 pm

The Houston Police Department’s narcotics division is reviewing reports that a security worker who was attempting to restrain a concertgoer may have been drugged, Finner said Saturday.

After the officer “felt a prick in his neck” and “went unconscious,” Finner said that first responders revived him with naloxone, a medicine used to treat suspected opioid overdoses, and that they noticed a small puncture in his neck.

Finner urged people not to speculate on potential causes of the tragedy but acknowledged rumors that someone had injected fans with drugs.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... 1_na-ans_1

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:32 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/travis-scott ... 46795.html
But with Scott getting into trouble before for the two past shows, Shachtman thinks the rapper will get a “hard second look.”

In 2017, Scott was arrested after he encouraged fans to bypass security and rush the stage, leaving a security guard, a police officer and several others injured during a concert in Arkansas. In a separate incident, he was sentenced to one year of court supervision after pleading guilty to reckless conduct charges stemming from a 2015 incident in Chicago at the Lollapalooza music festival.

At the time, Chicago officials said Scott encouraged fans to vault security barricades. However, no one was injured.

“In terms of energy, he wants the energy he’s giving out on stage to be reciprocated from the audience, almost in defiance,” said Julian Kimble, who wrote a concert review on Scott’s 2018 Astroworld performance for the Washington Post. He called the rapper one of the most electrifying performers he’s seen.

“I’ve seen him tell people like ‘Don’t listen to security. Forget security. This is for y’all. This is for the fans,’” he continued. “With regards to last night, that’s an example of how things can go wrong. There’s a lot of negligence across the board. I don’t think there’s one bad guy or culprit. It’s a sweeping structural failure with what happened.”

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:57 pm

So dumb

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/astroworl ... -1.6239810
Authorities were looking to connect families with festivalgoers who were transported to the hospital, "some as young as 10" years old, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo said.

The Houston Chronicle quoted the judge as calling it an "extremely tragic night."
this is pretty much one of my biggest fears. in the late 80s I was at a Cheap Trick show at Ga Tech (a student event. I wasn't a student but my brother was a cop there so he got me in) and people on the floor just kept pushing forward and since I was already in the front I had nowhere to go. in retrospect I probably should've sought out medical attention afterwards but instead I just stumbled out. I'll never do standing General Admission ever again. :scared:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:01 pm

Sounds like the free Metallica concert in Philly in the mid 90s. I was in the front row getting crushed against the metal gate, with 40,000 people behind me.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:14 pm

Lawns only for me, unless there's GA seating in the pav

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:14 am

Update on this jagoff:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:30 pm

Right to Repair is an important topic that more people should be aware of, IMO. Two stories from the last two days, from totally different industries.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20211 ... reen.shtml

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/ ... achusetts/

Growing up in rural America, what companies like John Deere have done to their customers is shameful. I actually applaud Biden's executive order from the summer but wish it was stronger and had more teeth.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:55 pm

I think I posted about the company that hacked the Taylor ice cream machines that McDonald's uses because they are locked down and require a Taylor tech to repair. The company built their own diagnostic tool and got sued for their efforts. Ridiculous.

Also, Steve Jobs would be disgusted with how Apple does things these days.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:05 am

:lol: @Shyster
Justice was not blind when a lawyer dropped his pants after repeatedly setting off a metal detector at a Pittsburgh courthouse.

Authorities say 59-year-old Jeffrey Pollock was trying to pass through security outside family court on Wednesday, but the machine kept sounding an alarm.

The lawyer told guards his suspenders were causing the alerts and he could not remove them.

The guards asked him to keep trying until the alerts stopped.

Authorities say Pollock unhooked his suspenders, "dropped his drawers" and stood in his shirt and underwear.

He was charged with disorderly conduct. Pollock told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review he used poor judgment.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:33 pm

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/dad-disney-st ... qtUrfuiydO
The father of Disney actor Peyton Clark and influencer Acacia Kersey has been accused of grooming teenagers, using his child photography business to get alone time with young girls in order to pressure them into taking risqué and explicit photos, several sources told The Daily Beast.

Seven women who had previously modeled for Rich Clark detailed the 52-year-old’s alleged predatory behavior, including how he would encourage young girls to pose provocatively for him by convincing them that “sex sells,” to justifying his “love” for 14-year-olds, declaring that while he’s not “supposed to act on it” he could “think it and want it all I want.”

One former model alleged that Clark presented himself as a father-like figure to her after the sudden death of her dad. But she says he abused her trust by pushing her into doing nude and implied nude photos when she was 16, having her believe it was the only way to be successful in the entertainment industry.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:54 pm

Disney involved in child grooming? Well I'll be

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:26 am

Good stuff.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/24/nyre ... -bank.html
In 1997, a desire to do what he could to share the much-needed source of protein with food-insecure families — while indulging a hobby and addressing the state’s severe overpopulation of deer — motivated Mr. Aversa to join with two friends and found Hunters Helping the Hungry.

A quarter century later, the program is considered one of the top three game-meat donation programs in the country, according to a study by a firearms trade association. Since its start, the all-volunteer nonprofit has arranged for the donation of 14,731 deer — about 2.2 million quarter-pound servings of fresh, lean protein — to New Jersey residents in need.

Two recent grants from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, through the New Jersey Farm Bureau, enabled the program to expand and to waive the $20 cost of donating a deer for participating hunters.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:21 pm

It’s a great program especially since deer are so overpopulated here.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:57 am

https://variety.com/2021/film/global/al ... 235119766/

This is a pretty interesting story. Author Slice Sebold was raped while in college. She later spotted her attacker and contacted police who arrested the man they presumed to be the rapist. The case went to trial, she ID'd him in court (after failing to do so in a lineup) and he was convicted. Sebold wrote about the rape in her debut book Lucky. Many years later the accused rapist was out of jail after serving his time and Netflix was going to adapt Lucky into a movie/series. When one of the producers read the script, he noticed major discrepancies in trial and hired a PI to look into the case. Turns out the accused rapist was innocent all along. After the producer and PI turned over all the evidence, the DA had the man exonerated and apologized. The adaptation of Lucky has since been abandoned.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:11 am

:shock:
An American Airlines flight from Guatemala to Miami Saturday was revealed to have one additional passenger on board: A man who had stowed away in the plane's landing gear.

A video posted on Instagram by Miami local social news site Only in Dade showed airport crewmembers apparently discovering the passenger after the plane arrived at the gate.

The man, who came off of American Airlines flight 1182, which landed about 10 a.m. ET Saturday, was taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital. The maintenance worker who recorded the video declined to speak on the record for fear that he would lose his job.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/frightful-fl ... 55915.html