Non Political Current Events Thread

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:11 am

:face:
The Federal Bureau of Investigation indicted 23 people on more than 100 counts in connection to approximately 14 pre-arranged car accidents that earned them an estimated $1 million in insurance claims, according to a Monday press release.

The defendants face 138 counts in total, according to the press release from the United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Washington.

If convicted, they could spend up to 55 years in prison — 20 years for "conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud," an additional 20 years for "conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding," 10 years for "conspiracy to commit health care fraud," and five years for "making false statements to the FBI," according to the release.

According to an 81-page indictment filed last month, the defendants are accused of planning the collisions, orchestrating them mostly on secluded roads where only the accused defendants could be witnesses to the crash, fraudulently making insurance claims, and fabricating or exaggerating injuries between July 4, 2017, and September 25, 2020.

In some instances, there were no drivers or passengers in at least one of the cars — in which case they used a weighted object to ensure the car's airbag deployed — and hammers were used to break windows of vehicles, according to the indictment.

The defendants range from 20 to 51 years old and hail from Washington, California, Michigan, and Nevada, as well as one defendant from British Columbia, Canada.

Four of the individuals have yet to be arrested and are currently considered fugitives, according to the press release.

Attorney Alexander H. Fuqua who represents four of the 23 individuals told Insider in an email that the believes the government's case is "overreaching."

"From what had been shared with me, the evidence against the people I've represented mainly rely on hearsay statements with scant direct evidence," Fuqua said.

The Department of Justice did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment. Attorneys representing the other 19 defendants were not immediately available to respond to Insider's emails.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:13 pm

:shock:

Former Miss USA Jumps to Her Death From New York City Skyscraper

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-miss- ... 40087.html
Her body was found on the sidewalk outside the Orion Condominium building in Midtown just after 7 a.m. Kryst lived on the ninth floor of the building, according to the New York Post. She was last seen on a terrace 29 stories above the ground.

Though her family did not provide a cause of death, sources in the New York Police Department have confirmed that Kryst had died by suicide, according to the Post and The Hollywood Reporter. The Post reported that Kryst had left behind a note leaving her possessions to her mother.

“May this day bring you peace and rest,” Kryst wrote in an Instagram caption posted just hours before her fatal fall.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:16 pm

That's a scary way to go.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:18 pm

I remember a documentary about people who tried to commit suicide by jumping off bridges (maybe Golden Gate). The overwhelming majority of survivors stated they realized during the fall that they didn't want to die. :(

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:22 pm

I remember a documentary about people who tried to commit suicide by jumping off bridges (maybe Golden Gate). The overwhelming majority of survivors stated they realized during the fall that they didn't want to die. :(
Yeah, knowing that in all likelihood, most of these jumpers immediately regret it when they leave the ledge, I can't imagine what their last thoughts are. Awful.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:01 am

Bezos is paying for it to be dismantled, FWIW.

No masts on this picture...but this will be a sailing yacht:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:18 pm

:shock:

Former Miss USA Jumps to Her Death From New York City Skyscraper

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-miss- ... 40087.html
Her body was found on the sidewalk outside the Orion Condominium building in Midtown just after 7 a.m. Kryst lived on the ninth floor of the building, according to the New York Post. She was last seen on a terrace 29 stories above the ground.

Though her family did not provide a cause of death, sources in the New York Police Department have confirmed that Kryst had died by suicide, according to the Post and The Hollywood Reporter. The Post reported that Kryst had left behind a note leaving her possessions to her mother.

“May this day bring you peace and rest,” Kryst wrote in an Instagram caption posted just hours before her fatal fall.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:30 am

:lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:03 am

Palau is known for two things:
  • Being the island where Journey 2: Mysterious Island takes place in
  • Being the first place that anyone looking for 'Pennsyvlania' in a 'State' drop-down menu hits before hitting the down key to actually get PA

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:12 am

Similarly, saw this today:

Americans ditched high-tax states during pandemic, study finds
https://money.yahoo.com/americans-ditch ... 22117.html
Americans flocked to states with low or no income taxes during the pandemic, according to a new report, reaping savings from their work-from-home flexibility.

States with higher income tax rates saw significant population declines, whereas states with lower taxes had accelerated population growth, according to the Tax Foundation analysis that used U.S. Census Bureau population data and commercial datasets from U-Haul and United Van Lines.
Reminds me of NTP66s battle not to pay municipal taxes in Philadephia.

PA was on the list of states losing the most population.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:17 am

Similarly, saw this today:

Americans ditched high-tax states during pandemic, study finds
https://money.yahoo.com/americans-ditch ... 22117.html
Americans flocked to states with low or no income taxes during the pandemic, according to a new report, reaping savings from their work-from-home flexibility.

States with higher income tax rates saw significant population declines, whereas states with lower taxes had accelerated population growth, according to the Tax Foundation analysis that used U.S. Census Bureau population data and commercial datasets from U-Haul and United Van Lines.
Reminds me of NTP66s battle not to pay municipal taxes in Philadephia.

PA was on the list of states losing the most population.
Or rather, states with high rents saw an outflow. I think lots of new yorkers and bay area folks ditched their tiny apartments in the city for houses and space. You can see the CA exodus clearly going to NV, AZ and TX. NYers I think went across the country (wherever mom and dad live).

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:24 am

Speaking of rising rent:

25% of the people polled said it's a good time to buy, lol.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:24 am

Yep. My brother (in Charleston, SC) had 2-3 families move into his neighborhood from the northeast to get out of the a)cold b)high cost of living/taxes. They work remotely and get paid a NYC/NJ/Philly salary, but live in relatively inexpensive Charleston. Housing upgrade, too.

It's also why we'll have a dodint of a time buying a house this summer. Ugh.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:25 am

I was promoted to a full WFH position in 2020, unrelated to the pandemic but nice nonetheless. I'm free to move anywhere and if it were not for my wife having a hands-on job I would.
As a compromise, I've considered buying a small RV and just traveling around for a week or two at a time on my own. Originally the idea was to go around racing cars. But golf really lends itself to that behavior pretty well. Just need a robust wifi phone plan with tethering.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:27 am

I was promoted to a full WFH position in 2020, unrelated to the pandemic but nice nonetheless. I'm free to move anywhere and if it were not for my wife having a hands-on job I would.
As a compromise, I've considered buying a small RV and just traveling around for a week or two at a time on my own. Originally the idea was to go around racing cars. But golf really lends itself to that behavior pretty well. Just need a robust wifi phone plan with tethering.
There are travelling PT jobs out there - paying a ton of money. Get that RV, son!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:28 am

I would love to ditch the NE for a warmer climate, but don't think I'd be able to get my daughter on board with being that far away from family. My company has made a number of exceptions for people moving out of state and retaining their jobs, and given my role, I'm positive that I'd get one, too.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:32 am

My entire family, on both sides except for one aunt, moved from Massachusetts/Pittsburgh over the last 30+ years. I had two aunts move to High Point/Greensboro around the same time in the mid-80s, then their younger brother to Charleston in the late 80s. We followed him in 1990, because of the post-Hurricane Hugo recovery and growth. Just the old hippie aunt and uncle are sticking it out in New Hampshire lol. They year round golf up there, somehow. :lol:

So @NTP66 make the move to HHI, and get your families to follow. Trust me. It works. :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:33 am

There are travelling PT jobs out there - paying a ton of money. Get that RV, son!
That was the plan before I was promoted, actually. So my new position is a happy circumstance. She wants to work a few years in a clinic first, though.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:34 am

That could be quite amazing. Like taking a two week swing through the sun belt in the winter, and then something to the pacific northwest in the summer? What it sounds like, is you'll need some help splitting up the driving to optimize daylight and time to both work and golf.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:37 am

Source of the post So @NTP66 make the move to HHI, and get your families to follow. Trust me. It works.
While I'd love to, the cost of living in HHI is far too high for that purpose. Not that it'd be a deal breaker, but we'd wind up with a smaller house for around the same cost.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:45 am

That could be quite amazing. Like taking a two week swing through the sun belt in the winter, and then something to the pacific northwest in the summer? What it sounds like, is you'll need some help splitting up the driving to optimize daylight and time to both work and golf.
If you want to live vicariously through someone that did something similar, read Tom Coyne's America book: https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/ ... 1982128050

He wanted to play every US Open site, as well as a course in every state, and write about it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:49 am

If you want to live vicariously through someone that did something similar, read Tom Coyne's America book: https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/ ... 1982128050

He wanted to play every US Open site, as well as a course in every state, and write about it.
Yeah, that does sound like a good book to read coming out of the winter. I liked watching him on the breaking sawgrass video.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:54 am

His wife is an absolute saint. :lol:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:01 am

I have that book and still need to read it. I actually played with Tom Coyne. I would recommend The Golfers Journal to you boys. I played one of their events with my bro, and afterwards they had a par 3 course that a few groups joined up and played together and Tom was one. Cool dude. But the Journal is good reading. Plus, you get $50 at linksoul twice a year so it pays for itself

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:02 am

If he wrote about Ballyhack, that's the round. Goat Track was what they called their alternate routing for the par 3 course. Sick place