Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:51 pm

Aw dammit! I forgot that too!

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:53 pm

I love the weekly release format

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:01 pm

I like it for discussion reasons. I don't like it for "I want it all and I want it now" reasons.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:06 pm

Can't have a show drop and binge it all during a 7 day trial now, can we? :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:33 pm

John Boyega: 'I’m the only cast member whose experience of Star Wars was based on their race'
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/a ... ssion=true

I'll cherry pick a few quotes below but this is one hell of an article.
[But] what I would say to Disney is do not bring out a black character, market them to be much more important in the franchise than they are and then have them pushed to the side. It’s not good. I’ll say it straight up.”

“Like, you guys knew what to do with Daisy Ridley, you knew what to do with Adam Driver,” he says. “You knew what to do with these other people, but when it came to Kelly Marie Tran, when it came to John Boyega, you know **** all. So what do you want me to say? What they want you to say is, ‘I enjoyed being a part of it. It was a great experience...’ Nah, nah, nah. I’ll take that deal when it’s a great experience. They gave all the nuance to Adam Driver, all the nuance to Daisy Ridley. Let’s be honest. Daisy knows this. Adam knows this. Everybody knows. I’m not exposing anything.”

“I’m the only cast member who had their own unique experience of that franchise based on their race,” he says, holding my gaze. “Let’s just leave it like that. It makes you angry with a process like that. It makes you much more militant; it changes you. Because you realise, ‘I got given this opportunity but I’m in an industry that wasn’t even ready for me.’ Nobody else in the cast had people saying they were going to boycott the movie because [they were in it]. Nobody else had the uproar and death threats sent to their Instagram DMs and social media, saying, ‘Black this and black that and you shouldn’t be a Stormtrooper.’ Nobody else had that experience. But yet people are surprised that I’m this way. That’s my frustration.”

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:33 pm

It seems miraculous to have any new content available let alone this hitting it’s original release date.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:55 pm

I thought his story arc was pretty good through last jedi. Could have definitely been better in the last one, but he doesn't seem to care about that. Wonder if he's more focused on screen time (he's not the lead) versus story.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:04 pm

Finn was set up to be a major character in TFA. Once he was removed from Rey's storyline, his character went to ****. I think there's a definite argument as to how involved a character like Finn should be considering the crux of the story is Rey, Luke, and Kylo, though.

Finn had a lot of potential and unfortunately never really got the time to explore it. A force sensitive stormtrooper is a cool concept.

His last point about the response from fans is disgusting. Kelly Marie Tran obviously dealt with the same sort of stuff. People are gross.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:06 pm

Sounds like he's pissed because Finn and Rey didn't become the main characters?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:22 pm

Kelly Marie Tran had a 2-pronged line of attack (POC and female, the horror) from internet s**tbags.

They so comprehensively bungled the final movie. Granted, some of that was inevitable because of Carrie's passing. But some stuff that was in their control they goat f**ked. "Hey, let's have this dude be the only non-Force sensitive person to wield a lightsaber in battle; then let's double down on the notion that the Force is egalitarian and you don't need special blood to be a Jedi; and then let's pay that off by having the everyman character who defected from the Bad Guys to the Good Guys sort of maybe kind of hint that perhaps he's sensitive to the Force, but don't actually do anything of substance on the matter."

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:51 pm

John Boyega: 'I’m the only cast member whose experience of Star Wars was based on their race'
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/a ... ssion=true

I'll cherry pick a few quotes below but this is one hell of an article.
[But] what I would say to Disney is do not bring out a black character, market them to be much more important in the franchise than they are and then have them pushed to the side. It’s not good. I’ll say it straight up.”

“Like, you guys knew what to do with Daisy Ridley, you knew what to do with Adam Driver,” he says. “You knew what to do with these other people, but when it came to Kelly Marie Tran, when it came to John Boyega, you know **** all. So what do you want me to say? What they want you to say is, ‘I enjoyed being a part of it. It was a great experience...’ Nah, nah, nah. I’ll take that deal when it’s a great experience. They gave all the nuance to Adam Driver, all the nuance to Daisy Ridley. Let’s be honest. Daisy knows this. Adam knows this. Everybody knows. I’m not exposing anything.”

“I’m the only cast member who had their own unique experience of that franchise based on their race,” he says, holding my gaze. “Let’s just leave it like that. It makes you angry with a process like that. It makes you much more militant; it changes you. Because you realise, ‘I got given this opportunity but I’m in an industry that wasn’t even ready for me.’ Nobody else in the cast had people saying they were going to boycott the movie because [they were in it]. Nobody else had the uproar and death threats sent to their Instagram DMs and social media, saying, ‘Black this and black that and you shouldn’t be a Stormtrooper.’ Nobody else had that experience. But yet people are surprised that I’m this way. That’s my frustration.”

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:59 pm

"shut up and dribble"?

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:42 pm

It seems miraculous to have any new content available let alone this hitting it’s original release date.
I agree. Although, this was probably in the can and has being undergoing SFX and CGI for months.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:44 pm

I agree. Although, this was probably in the can and has being undergoing SFX and CGI for months.
The filming juuuuuuust wrapped prior to the shutdown. I believe they wrapped the first week of March.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:59 pm

If Boyega had incinerated himself in the space door laser it would have made his character awesome.

But Leeeeeeeeeroy Jenkins ruined it.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:13 pm

Now just cancel trick or treating and I can watch in peace!
Canceling means the kids are home, probably bored and that is no bueno for watching in peace.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:13 pm

Mine are 17 and 20. No issue. I was referring to the rug rats at the door.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:21 am

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:15 am

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:22 am

Looks great, I'm excited.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:25 am

Was that
Ashoka Tano?

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 am

Here's youtube version

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:42 am

Was that
Ashoka Tano?
I definitely saw Sasha Banks who is rumored to be playing her

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:54 am

Was that
Ashoka Tano?
I definitely saw Sasha Banks who is rumored to be playing her
I thought that was supposed to be
Rosario Dawson?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:59 am

I thought so too.