Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:28 pm

imo the more movies like rogue one, which is tangentially related to the main saga, are a better choice than origin movies about han or bobba fett or whoever.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:30 pm

I agree. Own the holiday season with the annual Star Wars movie, alternating saga and SW Story releases.
Ditto

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:49 pm

I agree. Own the holiday season with the annual Star Wars movie, alternating saga and SW Story releases.
Ditto
Agreed. Rogue One was my favorite of the last four.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:02 pm

Ditto
Agreed. Rogue One was my favorite of the last four.
It’s at the top of my list with ESB.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:11 pm

It's my outright #1 of the franchise. It's the only one of these movies that was made from the perspective of a fan like me: Someone who saw the OT theatrically as a child, grew up with them, had my guts ripped apart by the PT, and now relates to SW as a mid-40s adult, not a mid-40s guy's inner 10-year old.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:46 pm

It's my outright #1 of the franchise. It's the only one of these movies that was made from the perspective of a fan like me: Someone who saw the OT theatrically as a child, grew up with them, had my guts ripped apart by the PT, and now relates to SW as a mid-40s adult, not a mid-40s guy's inner 10-year old.
Well gee.. this is giving me the warm and fuzzies.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:29 pm

It's interesting that Iger didn't mention Rian Johnson's trilogy. I wonder if that's an indication that the project is on hold. Man, TLJ really **** things up, didn't it? I still like it.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:33 pm

I think Iger's comments were a big screw you to RJ.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:34 pm

It's interesting that Iger didn't mention Rian Johnson's trilogy. I wonder if that's an indication that the project is on hold. Man, TLJ really **** things up, didn't it? I still like it.
I think there was something recently where Rian said he is still working on it, no delays

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:36 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:42 pm

It is amazing to me that we live in a day and age where one movie that made 1.3 billion dollars at the boxoffice is considered 'divisive', and another that made $400 million is considered a 'bust'.

There is also nothing to see there about not mentioning RJ's trilogy. Ep IX is currently in physical production in England, it is a thing that is already happening. RJ's trilogy is in development.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:50 pm

I think it's telling that he mentions the GOT creators and leaves out Rian Johnson. Regardless of what Disney ends up doing with Johnson's trilogy, the CEO chose to mention other projects and leave his out.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:25 pm

It is amazing to me that we live in a day and age where one movie that made 1.3 billion dollars at the boxoffice is considered 'divisive', and another that made $400 million is considered a 'bust'.
I'm surprised but I'm not surprised because fandoms will always have a relatively small but very vocal segment of people who 1) demand - not expect, but demand - certain things from whatever it is that they're fans of and 2) go from mostly-functioning adult to diaper-filling pissbaby when what they get doesn't match their headcanon. It's certainly not exclusive to this fandom; I've seen it with other fandoms I'm a part of - Game of Thrones, Marvel Cinematic Universe films, games like Mass Effect, etc.

These people have always been there but social media, Youtube, Reddit, etc. give them outlets for them to go Full Diaper loudly, immediately and persistently, and there is always an audience for over-the-top negativity. When the prequel trilogy was released, I remember there being some backlash but I want to say it took me maybe a year or so until after they were released to really hear it with any regularity. Fast forward about 15+ years and I see Pablo Hidalgo still getting harassed by brigades of pissbabies on Twitter over a movie that came out almost a full year ago. Outrage Hobbyists are real and they are aware that their public diaper-filling can achieve desired consequences.

The problem I have is with the last part of that. Maybe Disney & LucasFilm needed to pull the reigns back on their schedule, do a better initial job picking the director, or perhaps tell the investors that it's better to delay something than rush out a movie that had to be 90% rewritten to meet a Spring 2018 release date. Those are all valid ends to achieve the studio producing a better product. The problem is with the means taken to get the desired end, and most of the outrage hobbyists don't grasp the concept of constructive/rational/valid criticism.

In almost all cases, the criticism of the thing is certainly valid. I loved TLJ; I never expected Luke to be portrayed the way he was and that resonated more with me than any character in any movie I've ever seen. I absolutely loved it. I enjoyed Solo. That said, there were still things about those movies I didn't like and would have loved to see them do differently (Canto Bight, for ex.). For that stuff, hey...it's a good opportunity to go get another beer from the fridge, or I just sit through it and quietly hope the next movie has something a little better. None of it ruined the movie/series for me and it certainly never made me think I had license to contact the director/actor/actress directly and act like a 4-year old throwing a tantrum in a toy store.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Just saw Solo this week. It was very enjoyable.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:34 pm

So did I. It was enjoyable in a very meh way.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:01 pm

I'm surprised but I'm not surprised because fandoms will always have a relatively small but very vocal segment of people who 1) demand - not expect, but demand - certain things from whatever it is that they're fans of and 2) go from mostly-functioning adult to diaper-filling pissbaby when what they get doesn't match their headcanon. It's certainly not exclusive to this fandom; I've seen it with other fandoms I'm a part of - Game of Thrones, Marvel Cinematic Universe films, games like Mass Effect, etc.

These people have always been there but social media, Youtube, Reddit, etc. give them outlets for them to go Full Diaper loudly, immediately and persistently, and there is always an audience for over-the-top negativity. When the prequel trilogy was released, I remember there being some backlash but I want to say it took me maybe a year or so until after they were released to really hear it with any regularity. Fast forward about 15+ years and I see Pablo Hidalgo still getting harassed by brigades of pissbabies on Twitter over a movie that came out almost a full year ago. Outrage Hobbyists are real and they are aware that their public diaper-filling can achieve desired consequences.

The problem I have is with the last part of that. Maybe Disney & LucasFilm needed to pull the reigns back on their schedule, do a better initial job picking the director, or perhaps tell the investors that it's better to delay something than rush out a movie that had to be 90% rewritten to meet a Spring 2018 release date. Those are all valid ends to achieve the studio producing a better product. The problem is with the means taken to get the desired end, and most of the outrage hobbyists don't grasp the concept of constructive/rational/valid criticism.

In almost all cases, the criticism of the thing is certainly valid. I loved TLJ; I never expected Luke to be portrayed the way he was and that resonated more with me than any character in any movie I've ever seen. I absolutely loved it. I enjoyed Solo. That said, there were still things about those movies I didn't like and would have loved to see them do differently (Canto Bight, for ex.). For that stuff, hey...it's a good opportunity to go get another beer from the fridge, or I just sit through it and quietly hope the next movie has something a little better. None of it ruined the movie/series for me and it certainly never made me think I had license to contact the director/actor/actress directly and act like a 4-year old throwing a tantrum in a toy store.
This is a very well considered opinion that I agree with very much.

Altho, I will say that my criticism of Ep I started probably no more than about three or four minutes in. I was like, "I burned a day of PTO for this, and I got 'Star Wars, Episode One: The Tone Deaf Racial Stereotypes'..." :lol:

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:12 pm

animation is giving me flashbacks of playing jet set radio back in college on dreamcast

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:02 pm

on sale noon thursday through midnight Sunday. That is a fine looking poster.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/celebrate-the-m ... 1829493471
This looks spectacular. I wish I had a place for it; as it is, my reimagined Alien one-sheet that I got like five or six years ago is still in the cardboard tube.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:14 pm

After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far rom the authority of the New Republic....

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:21 pm

When does SOLO come out on Blu-Ray?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:36 pm

Roughly eight days ago

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:36 am

on sale noon thursday through midnight Sunday. That is a fine looking poster.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/celebrate-the-m ... 1829493471
This looks spectacular. I wish I had a place for it; as it is, my reimagined Alien one-sheet that I got like five or six years ago is still in the cardboard tube.
I ordered the OT poster a few years back from bottleneck gallery. Absolute beaut of a piece of art. Have it hanging above my TV. This is tempting.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:19 am

After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far rom the authority of the New Republic....
Sounds great. If the Disney streaming service is launched with the Star Wars series, all or most of the Disney branded film catalog (I understand Lucasfilm and Marvel may have rights tied up right now), I'm a day one subscriber.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:41 am

Sounds great. If the Disney streaming service is launched with the Star Wars series, all or most of the Disney branded film catalog (I understand Lucasfilm and Marvel may have rights tied up right now), I'm a day one subscriber.
They better put all of the gummi bears episodes on there

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:07 am

And Care Bears.

Loved that show as a kid.