Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:26 pm

Rey is gonna kill Miles Dyson?

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:05 pm

No idea when it's from.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:17 pm

Iirc it's from the summer before Rise Of Skywalker was released, and it was sort of a response to toxic fandom.

I agree with much of it, disagree with some of it. I just love the fact that someone who sorta has, let's call it 'insider info', was willing to go on a the-customer-is-not-always-right rant.

The idea of 'no gray Jedi' to me kind of murders the entire class as interesting characters. It's the ones that are not morally binary that we love to watch.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:16 pm

I've been listening to the sequel scores while working today and while those films have many problems, the scores certainly weren't one of them. Rey's theme in particular is incredible.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:43 pm

Rise Of Skywalker, Indy V, Obi-Wan Kenobi's theme............. *sad face*.

This is Williams' swan song. The music deserved better.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:52 pm

I didn't realize he did the Kenobi theme. Without going back to listen, I'm confident that it's easily the best part of the show.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:28 am

I listen to Ty Franck and Wes Chatham's podcast on occasion. It started out as deep dives and breakdowns of episodes of The Expanse, but now they are exploring other film and TV genres. I've been waiting for Wes to talk about his experiences working on Ahsoka (which neither would talk about because of the writers and actors strikes). I haven't finished it yet, but so far so good. Wes says that it looks like he will be much more involved with the Star Wars universe moving forward. And I'd forgotten that Ty and Daniel Abraham (as James SA Corey) wrote a Star Wars Han Solo novel before Disney bought Lucasfilm and tossed all of the old legacy content out. Anyway, this might be worth listening to if you're into such things:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:10 pm

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:26 am

Just wrapped up Rebels rewatch over the weekend.

1) That show was awesome. Watching it all again, you catch a lot of things I missed the first time I watched.
2) I started Ashoka immediately after. I'm so glad I rewatched Rebels as it pretty much takes place shortly after Rebels fast forward in the last episode and references a lot of things I forgot.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:07 am

Just wrapped up Rebels rewatch over the weekend.

1) That show was awesome. Watching it all again, you catch a lot of things I missed the first time I watched.
2) I started Ashoka immediately after. I'm so glad I rewatched Rebels as it pretty much takes place shortly after Rebels fast forward in the last episode and references a lot of things I forgot.
I’m still kind of shocked at how good that show ended up being. It started out like straight kids generic show with Starwars as a backdrop. It got very good very quickly though.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:07 am

It was fun to see that final scene of Rebels reimagined live-action in Ahsoka.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:11 pm

Just binged all 8 episodes of ahsoka. I’m so glad I did the rebels watch through before watching this or I probably would not have enjoyed or remembered as much.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:02 am

I have seen every Star Wars film up to now. But it’s clear that Disney is doubling down on the Panderverse stuff. Kind of baffling but whatever. If they want to Elon Musk their investment then they’re more than welcome to

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:43 am

I am largely off X/Twitter, but some of the outrage and pushback filtered over to Bluesky or Threads or some such. Very tired of all of it.

Just make good films, TV shows, and content. I don't care who makes it, as long as it's good.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:58 am

Obviously this is a cherry picked answer from a 2015 women's conference (2 years before #metoo took off) and I know nothing other than this clip so keep that in mind. Her answer also isn't specifically about Star Wars. But...assuming that all men are uncomfortable with a strong representation of women in film isn't a great way to approach telling a story. Yeah, there's definitely a percentage of men who don't want to see women in a position of power in their sci-fi fantasy. I guess that's a thing for some reason. It's a little concerning that she seems to think that it is all men or even a majority of men. An emphasis on strong female characters isn't new for Star Wars, especially not Disney Star Wars. In 1977, Leia grabbed a blaster and fought her way off the Death Star alongside Luke and Han. Female writers/directors isn't anything new for Disney Star Wars. Bryce Dallas Howard, Deborah Chow, and Steph Green have directed Star Wars D+ shows. Hell, Lucasfilm is run by a woman. I'm all for different perspectives and ideas in all film but especially Star Wars. It is not only welcomed but necessary. My issue is I just want good stories and good characters. If the creator is coming at a project with the intent of making 70-80% of that property's fanbase uncomfortable rather than simply telling a good story, I don't have very high hopes for the project.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:59 am

2015, lol

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:04 am

Right. Her answer makes a lot more sense in the context of a pre #metoo world.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:04 pm

I didn't realize that interview was from 2015, but also she said this recently
“I’m very thrilled about the project because I feel what we’re about to create is something very special. And we’re in 2024 now, and it’s about time that we had a woman come forward to shape a story in a galaxy far, far away.”
which is especially silly since Kathleen Kennedy has been running Lucasfilm since 2012

so yeah. still not very optimistic about the new films

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:35 pm

The Mandalorian & Grogu Journeys to the Big Screen
The Mandalorian and Grogu are embarking on a new adventure — to movie theaters.

Directed by Jon Favreau, and produced by Favreau, Kathleen Kennedy, and Dave Filoni, The Mandalorian & Grogu will go into production in 2024.

“I have loved telling stories set in the rich world that George Lucas created,” said Favreau. “The prospect of bringing the Mandalorian and his apprentice Grogu to the big screen is extremely exciting.”

"Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni have ushered into Star Wars two new and beloved characters, and this new story is a perfect fit for the big screen," added Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:48 pm

But... why? The first two seasons perfectly told their story. We didn't need season 3. We don't need a movie.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:24 pm

Cash rules everything around me. I think Walt Disney once said that. Or maybe it was wu-tang. I can’t remember who exactly said it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:39 pm

tif, there goes your whole "brand new stories in a brand new universe" theory from Ahsoka.

Also I didn't realize the title was literally "The Mandalorian & Grogu." Hopefully that gets changed. As unnecessary as this feels to me, I'm always happy to watch Star Wars on the big screen. Gotta rinse that Rise of Skywalker taste out of my mouth.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:16 pm

tif, there goes your whole "brand new stories in a brand new universe" theory from Ahsoka.

Also I didn't realize the title was literally "The Mandalorian & Grogu." Hopefully that gets changed. As unnecessary as this feels to me, I'm always happy to watch Star Wars on the big screen. Gotta rinse that Rise of Skywalker taste out of my mouth.
My daughter got me a Somehow Palpatine returned shirt for Christmas, it is beautiful

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:14 pm

Is it from Screen Crush? They use it as a Rickroll meme in their videos.

I actually want one myself. haha

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:16 pm

"I used to do drugs. I still do. But I used to, too."

Feel the Force flowing through you......... it is everywhere. Between you, me. The tree, the rock. Even between your heart and your wallet.