Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 29, 2018 10:59 am

Okay, I've gathered some thoughts.

I got exactly what I wanted/expected from the movie, plus a couple neat surprises.
Han meeting Chewie for the first time was well played and executed. Having Han speak Wookiee was something of a risk, but I thought they pulled it off.

It is now official that the standalone movies have to include a great droid character who has to die. But I did enjoy how L3 became part of the ship at the end.

Speaking of character deaths, I was immensely surprised that Qi'ra survived the movie. Han, Chewie, Lando.... you knew they weren't facing direct stakes, but I really thought Qi'ra dying would be what hardens Han's heart and makes him a scoundrel. But they played it a different way, and I like their way better. Because Han's character arc is already known, he doesn't have to have that precursor journey. He was always going to come back for Luke, because that's fundamentally who he always was. (Altho it does sorta deprive the character of an arc in Ep IV now.) And, as discussed a bit below, it opens up a much more interesting way for Qi'ra and Han to fall apart.

It's kinda neat that Han inadvertently helped fund the early days of the Rebellion. Even if it means consecutive movies where scarcity of fuel is a main plot device.

Action Chewie is the best Chewie.

The chick from Horizon Zero Dawn was a neat cameo. And I believe this is the first SW movie Warrick Davis appears in without makeup and has dialog in his own voice, so that's fun, too.

And speaking of cameos...... what the hell! That was completely out of left field, and changes Qi'ra completely and makes her a hugely compelling and interesting character that, I daresay, has a future in the SW universe. What she was doing reporting to a fallen Sith apprentice is a nutso direction to take this movie and gives it a heft of its own beyond being Han's origin story. (And I've just read that pretty much from the earliest days of formally writing the Solo project, Jon Kasdan was insistent on Maul's inclusion.)

They don't really explain who the slave Wookiees are on Kessel, but it appeared Chewie knew at least the one, right?

The movie traded a bit too heavily on fan service, imo, but not egregiously so: Chewie rips a guy's arms out of their sockets, har har; Lando beats Chewie at Dejarik using the same move Artoo beats him with, har har; The Imperial military recruiting depot plays the Imperial March for the commercial, har har. Han shoots first, har har (okay, that one was worthy). And did I hear Qi'ra say that she learned/got something from a dragon after she kills Vos? Really? There were a couple times I found myself scanning the periphery of the scenes instead of focusing on the action, because I didn't want to miss a reference.

They did a good job throwing the dummy about the "Everything you've heard about me is true" scene as the Sabacc game where Han wins the Falcon. And they did a great job paying off the 'fair and square' line and the Lando hug from Empire.
Erenreich has apparently already been locked down for two other Solo movies. That's a good thing.
You left out a few things
Lando says "I hate you" to Han, and he says "I know".

Han saying he has a thermal detonator at the beginning.

Might be a stretch but Beckett wearing the same guard clothing as Lando in RotJ.

Also it was Beckett that beat Chewie not Lando but that is picking nits.
Was it Beckett? My bad, but in my head I totally see Lando talking about looking two moves ahead. Then again, for like ten years I though I witnessed a Tyler Wright hat trick, sooooo maybe we don't go with my memory so much.
I think it was Beckett, but I also had a few beers before the movie so I might be wrong instead.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:16 pm

You are right, sir. Just watched an easter egg video that showed a still from that scene, and it is indeed Beckett playing Dejarik with the Wookiee. *tips hat*

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed May 30, 2018 12:32 pm

Seems like everyone who has seen the movie has loved it but the box office has been so bad that I would be extremely surprised if Erenreich is ever asked to play Han again.
Erenreich was great; at no point watching this movie did I think I was looking at anyone other than Han Solo.

And he's under contract for two more movies. If I were him, I wouldn't have agreed to a multi-film deal without a penalty clause where not using him for a future Solo film that goes into production within, say, seven years would cost LFL a tidy eight-figure sum.
Really? I just did not think he was portraying Han correctly. I think that's why I was pretty indifferent to the movie.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:45 pm

Yeah, I had no problem believing that the Han Ehrenreich portrayed would become the Han we already knew from Ep IV.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Wed May 30, 2018 6:26 pm

If there is another Solo movie, I hope Han isn’t anywhere near Darth Maul. Han’s skepticism of the Force in Ep IV wouldn’t make any sense if that were to happen. I’m really interested to see where they go with Emilia Clarks character.

I was so hoping to see a little something about the Black Sun and have a cameo from Prince Xizor

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:59 pm

If there is another Solo movie, I hope Han isn’t anywhere near Darth Maul. Han’s skepticism of the Force in Ep IV wouldn’t make any sense if that were to happen. I’m really interested to see where they go with Emilia Clarks character.

I was so hoping to see a little something about the Black Sun and have a cameo from Prince Xizor
Your point about Maul is I think what they might be planning for what ultimately divides Han and Qi'ra. In the three years after they were separated on Corellia, she became an expert in an obscure and ancient martial art from a PlayStation game. She had to have a master, so maybe Maul is more than just her boss. And maybe Qi'ra is sorta Force-sensitive, which is what allowed her to see Han's real nature. Who knows, but the entire character of the movie was turned on its head by that cameo, an that's great.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Wed May 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Your point about Maul is I think what they might be planning for what ultimately divides Han and Qi'ra. In the three years after they were separated on Corellia, she became an expert in an obscure and ancient martial art from a PlayStation game. She had to have a master, so maybe Maul is more than just her boss. And maybe Qi'ra is sorta Force-sensitive, which is what allowed her to see Han's real nature. Who knows, but the entire character of the movie was turned on its head by that cameo, an that's great.
I somehow didn't equate her sword combat skill to Maul, and now it makes perfect sense. When she was fighting, I thought to myself "she sure got good at this. Where did that come from? Granted I just saw the movie a few hours ago, and haven't processed it all.

It was a little surreal seeing Maul again on the big screen. It's weird because he's a prequel character, but this version of him is more of a Clone Wars/Rebels product,so I saw it more as a character from the show appearing in the movie. I'd equate it to seeing Ahsoka on the big screen.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed May 30, 2018 8:56 pm

I somehow didn't equate her sword combat skill to Maul, and now it makes perfect sense. When she was fighting, I thought to myself "she sure got good at this. Where did that come from? Granted I just saw the movie a few hours ago, and haven't processed it all.

It was a little surreal seeing Maul again on the big screen. It's weird because he's a prequel character, but this version of him is more of a Clone Wars/Rebels product,so I saw it more as a character from the show appearing in the movie. I'd equate it to seeing Ahsoka on the big screen.
:thumb:

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed May 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Spangler

Postby Spangler » Thu May 31, 2018 2:53 pm

While looking through reddit, some people think the Crimson Dawn will be a fixture in future Star Wars movies like Boba Fett and the possible Kenobi movie. I'd be cool with that.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:50 pm

I've just discovered the Movie Trivia Schmoedown series from Collider on the YouTubes. Been binging all the Star Wars episodes, and have learned that Sam Witwer (animated voice of Darth Maul/Maul and a bunch of other SW characters over the years) is an absolute SW trivia beast.

Spangler

Postby Spangler » Thu May 31, 2018 4:01 pm

I've just discovered the Movie Trivia Schmoedown series from Collider on the YouTubes. Been binging all the Star Wars episodes, and have learned that Sam Witwer (animated voice of Darth Maul/Maul and a bunch of other SW characters over the years) is an absolute SW trivia beast.
Oh yeah. Him and Freddie Prinze Jr. are LEGIT Star Wars nerds.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 31, 2018 4:09 pm

One of the videos I watched yesterday was those two 1-v-1, and I was seriously impressed.

Watching another one now, and Witwer fact-checked the phrasing of a question. (They had an incorrect word in a line of dialog quoted in the question.) lol

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 31, 2018 5:19 pm

Despite his actions on Kobol, I’ve always liked Witwer.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu May 31, 2018 7:52 pm

I watch the Star Wars show every Thursday on Collider. Schmoedown in general is a pretty good way to kill time.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu May 31, 2018 8:14 pm

I watch the Star Wars show every Thursday on Collider. Schmoedown in general is a pretty good way to kill time.
Thanks, I had no idea these existed

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:12 pm

Honestly, it's kind of ridiculous. I've watched I think five of these SW Schmoedowns in the last two days, and Witwer only missed like three questions. Total. And these are not gimmes like, "Who was the fleet commander before Piett?" They're more like, "What was Piett's first name?" And I'm like, "'Admiral."

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Quick, just left the theater review of Solo
Better than Last Jedi, not a great film. Too many plotholes/lack of explanation for events, too much improbable "of course they'll survive" deus ex machina stuff.

Intro of Lando and Chewy was cool.

You can tell there were two directors.

Could have told this story in a character arc in Star Wars:Rebels. Movie was unnecessary.

My kids had a blast, which is all that really matters.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:23 pm

Yeah, my brother loathed Solo for many of the same points expressed. My kids think it's top 3 Star Wars film... We enjoyed it, but I certainly understand the criticism.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:19 pm

Vox kids have a word for Solo
Solo: A Star Wars Story misses a huge opportunity to explore droids as an aggrieved class with parallels to racism and slavery.
https://t.co/yF2Y88W2I8?amp=1

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:34 pm

I see Commander Bad Takes is at it again.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:08 pm

Here to please

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:09 pm

It's all good. We're all just overgrown children in here. :wink:

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:26 am

Finally saw Solo over the weekend and I'm still trying to collect my thoughts.
Overall it was a lot of fun. The first third of the movie is choppy and you can definitely feel the director(s) swap here. It's not until the train heist that the movie finds its footing and I started to enjoy myself. I still don't think this is a story that needed to be told, though. I don't feel like I learned anything of importance about Han's character that I didn't already know from ANH. A fun popcorn movie to be sure, but not one that the Star Wars universe needed.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Just saw it yesterday and thought it was a great summer adventure movie.

Not a lot of depth, but I enjoyed seeing the meetings between Han and familiar faces.
I will watch the follow up movies, because something has to happen to make him the bitter smuggler and I'm sure we'll get new CGI Jabba. I was waiting to hear that four armed guy was related to Maz Kanata since he said he wanted to take his share and open a cantina somewhere.