Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:45 pm

We watch nearly everything with captions on, and I wondered why a seemingly random bar patron was named in that scene. Very cool, not aware of that deleted scene.
…why?

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:55 pm

We watch nearly everything with captions on, and I wondered why a seemingly random bar patron was named in that scene. Very cool, not aware of that deleted scene.
If you watch with captions on, do they show what the creature's are saying that are not in the forced subtitles?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:03 pm

Not usually.

As for captions on for almost everything (except live sports, obviously), we started that to keep the volume lower at night/nap time so our kids don't hear things they shouldn't or loud noises that keep them up. We've just kept them on ever since, and I find it easier to follow dialogue.

There's also a sound mixing issue in Hollywood: https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/heres- ... e37sns7g_s
I used to be able to understand 99% of the dialogue in Hollywood films. But over the past 10 years or so, I've noticed that percentage has dropped significantly — and it's not due to hearing loss on my end. It's gotten to the point where I find myself occasionally not being able to parse entire lines of dialogue when I see a movie in a theater, and when I watch things at home, I've defaulted to turning the subtitles on to make sure I don't miss anything crucial to the plot.

Knowing I'm not alone in having these experiences, I reached out to several professional sound editors, designers, and mixers, many of whom have won Oscars for their work on some of Hollywood's biggest films, to get to the bottom of what's going on. One person refused to talk to me, saying it would be "professional suicide" to address this topic on the record. Another agreed to talk, but only under the condition that they remain anonymous. But several others spoke openly about the topic, and it quickly became apparent that this is a familiar subject among the folks in the sound community, since they're the ones who often bear the brunt of complaints about dialogue intelligibility. 

"It's not easy to mix a movie," says Jaime Baksht, who took home an Oscar for his work on last year's excellent "Sound of Metal" and previously worked on Alfonso Cuarón's "Roma." "Everybody thinks you're just moving levers, but it's not like that."

This problem indeed goes far beyond simply flipping a switch or two on a mixing board. It's much more complex than I anticipated, and it turns out there isn't one simple element that can be singled out and blamed as the primary culprit.

"There are a number of root causes," says Mark Mangini, the Academy Award-winning sound designer behind films like "Mad Max: Fury Road" and "Blade Runner 2049." "It's really a gumbo, an accumulation of problems that have been exacerbated over the last 10 years ... that's kind of this time span where all of us in the filmmaking community are noticing that dialogue is harder and harder to understand."

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/heres- ... paign=clip

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:37 pm

Ha, Mark Mangini's old shop (Creative Cafe) used to be at the west end of my 4-block street. I tried to get in there as an unpaid intern/go-fer/floor sweeper/whatever, but they said nope. So in a way, Mark Mangini is responsible for killing my dreams.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:42 pm

Also, one of the coolest things I've ever done was a 'history of sound' seminar presented by Walter Murch. It was at the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences (as in "I'd like to thank the Academy..."), which has (had?) a 96-channel SSL mixing board in the middle of the screening room. After the completion of the A/V presentation, Murch took up a seat at the mixing board and did a live demonstration of sound design by mixing - on the fly - the opening reel of Apocalypse Now, which still stands as the ne plus ultra of the synergy of picture+music+sound storytelling imo.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:02 pm

This is one of the best 'inside baseball' movie making videos of ever, and shows how Star Wars was great sort of despite George Lucas' efforts. His version of what we now know as Ep IV would've been borderline unwatchable.
Amazing on so many levels.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:12 pm

Good stuff.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:33 am

Currently 90 minutes into a 160 minute wait for Rise of the Resistance, AMA

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:34 am

Currently 90 minutes into a 160 minute wait for Rise of the Resistance, AMA
Why didn't you use Lightning Lane?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:40 am

Last minute decision to be here.
Tear down of our show exhibit got done at 9:30 this morning, and my flight isn’t until 6:00

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:48 am

Damn. At least the queue is cool. Have you been on it before?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:48 am

Never

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:58 am

Check back in after you ride.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:11 pm

Ok, so turns out it was only 2 hours.
It was “worth” it. Definitely a new level of ride compared to the usual Disney attraction

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:25 pm

It was “worth” it. Definitely a new level of ride compared to the usual Disney attraction
It’s the most immersive experience I’ve ever seen. It’s hard to even call it a ride because I feel like that diminishes the experience. You’re part of an all out **** space battle and it’s cool as hell.

Did you ride smuggler’s run also?

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:49 pm

I should probably quit beating this drum but Boba Fett episode 3 suffers from the same problem. Why do we care? At the end of the Mando pilot we knew this series was part of a larger story. It wasn't just that there was the mystery of who is the Child, it was that it tied into the bigger universe. This show is just Boba Fett wanting to be the big boss man.
At least the introduction of the Pykes ties into another film but it still doesn't feel important. I wonder if this leads to Maul appearing. Or wait was he with Crimson Dawn? I don't remember Solo that much.
Also, this probably isn't a spoiler but I'll spoiler it anyway...
The cyber punk biker gang was hilariously bad. Prequel levels bad.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:05 pm

The reveal of The Child is one of the greatest pop culture moments of the last 25 years, easily.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:06 pm

We're going to Disneyland next month, so I'm hopeful about getting into Rise this time.

Disney was the last big public crowd thing we did at the end of the Before Times.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:07 pm

Just think of it as bonus material.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:09 pm

We're going to Disneyland next month, so I'm hopeful about getting into Rise this time.

Disney was the last big public crowd thing we did at the end of the Before Times.
Wake up early and get the Lightning Lane for it. I'm not sure what time it's eligible (or if you have to be in the park) but do it asap.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:23 pm

Yeah, last time I tried entering the queue for reservations at 8 am on the day, and by the time the app loaded they were full. lol

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:32 pm

I'm pretty sure there's no more virtual queue. You should have a better shot now with LL but it'll cost you extra

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:38 pm

It’s the most immersive experience I’ve ever seen. It’s hard to even call it a ride because I feel like that diminishes the experience. You’re part of an all out **** space battle and it’s cool as hell.

Did you ride smuggler’s run also?
Smugglers was cool, apparently it didn’t originally have a video game style scoring component on how well your team did when it first opened? That helps the repeat ability.
I just hopped in the single rider line which all but guarantees you an engineer role. Two autistic kids as pilots and we managed to score 92%.

Single rider probably takes away from experiencing the props, but oh well.

Question on RotR: I barely noticed Fin as we were leaving that shootout. It looked like a live actor for the split second I saw him but that seems so unlikely.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:53 pm

Source of the post Question on RotR: I barely noticed Fin as we were leaving that shootout. It looked like a live actor for the split second I saw him but that seems so unlikely.
Finn's there but he's an animatronic. I believe the only live actors are the cast members throughout it. We had some really great people in DL. That job has to be so much fun.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:02 pm

Smuggler's Run was fantastic, so hearing how much more more RotR is has me quite jazzed.

Honestly, as a child of the 70s who had all the OG Kenner toys and redeemed the proof of purchase tokens, and whose first cinema experience was being scared shitless by Darth Vader, just being in Black Spire Outpost is like a thing of dreams for me. I can't even really put it into words, what it felt like walking through there and seeing those characters and vehicles in-person. I nearly cried when I saw Artoo. Shoot, I'm misting up recounting it right now.