Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:34 pm

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:03 pm

Well they found a way to kill my excitement for that project.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:05 pm

I can feel your anger.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:09 pm

Gross

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:30 pm

Love jjb

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:42 pm

Let the hate flow through you

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:46 pm

Love jjb
No homo

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:34 pm

Love jjb
No homo
He's a different species so duh, can't be homo

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:44 pm

Twss

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:09 am

Did you just assume my gender?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:22 pm

Jar Jar Binks is to SW as a shard of glass is to your GI tract.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:11 pm

Watched Mandolorian over the past few days:

Was i entertained? Yes. Did i wish there was something more to it? Yes. All of his missions were entertaining, but it does kind of suck that after he stole baby Yoda back, he basically has a lifetime of adventure over the span of 5 or 6 episodes only to circle back and face down the empire.

I thought it was kind of silly that all the Mandos are so dedicated to honoring the code, yet for whatever reason, they dont seem to mind that our man ignored the codes of bounty hunting becuase he thought Yoda was cute. Which then lead to a bunch of mandos dying yet the armorour lady didnt seem to be bothered by all of this. And this is all over a green thing with strange powers but no one really knows what to do with. I like Star Wars but never watched anything much beyond the movie so perhaps i just dont get it, but that did bother me.

That being said Dune was a good character and so was the Mando. The fight scenes were fun, and the random acts of badness from baby Yoda were more than OK for me.

Will i watch season two? Probably.
I’m sure

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:04 pm

Rewatching the series in chronology order. I don't think it's the correct way to watch it, though Lucas would disagree with me.

Phantom Menace is bad but I went in with the mindset that I'm watching a children's movie. There are still really horrible things (mainly Jar Jar stepping in poop, a space camel farting in his face, Jake Lloyd's acting), but watching it through the lens of a children's movie, it's not as bad as I remembered. The lightsaber fights are great especially Duel of the Fates and the pod race is pretty cool even if it goes on too long. I still have major issues with it, but I can't say I was bored watching it. I can't say the same for Attack of the Clones. I'm halfway through and it's a **** slog. Pacing is a mess, acting is awful, the love story is awful, the action is muddy and pointless. I still have a ways to go, but this is likely the bottom of the list.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:16 pm

Watched Mandolorian over the past few days:

Was i entertained? Yes. Did i wish there was something more to it? Yes. All of his missions were entertaining, but it does kind of suck that after he stole baby Yoda back, he basically has a lifetime of adventure over the span of 5 or 6 episodes only to circle back and face down the empire.

I thought it was kind of silly that all the Mandos are so dedicated to honoring the code, yet for whatever reason, they dont seem to mind that our man ignored the codes of bounty hunting becuase he thought Yoda was cute. Which then lead to a bunch of mandos dying yet the armorour lady didnt seem to be bothered by all of this. And this is all over a green thing with strange powers but no one really knows what to do with. I like Star Wars but never watched anything much beyond the movie so perhaps i just dont get it, but that did bother me.

That being said Dune was a good character and so was the Mando. The fight scenes were fun, and the random acts of badness from baby Yoda were more than OK for me.

Will i watch season two? Probably.
I’m sure
Important distinction:
The Way is not the same thing as the Guild rules. He actually honored the Way by stealing Baby Yoda back from The Client, because the Child was basically a Foundling, as the Armorer alluded in the 7th or 8th Chapter.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:23 pm

Colin Tervorrow's Ep IX script has been leaked? Maybe?

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/m ... rrow-leak/

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:33 pm

Colin Tervorrow's Ep IX script has been leaked? Maybe?

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/m ... rrow-leak/
Meh. It's fan fiction at this point. Also:
Rose Tico and BB-8 get a heist sequence of their own, Kylo Ren fights a Darth Vader, and in the end, it's revealed that Kylo Ren killed Rey's parents sound every bit as bad as the major complaints of RoS. Plus a ghost battle sounds hilarious.
I still like RoS for what it is. I don't need to circle jerk over what could have been.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:53 pm

Rewatching the series in chronology order. I don't think it's the correct way to watch it, though Lucas would disagree with me.

Phantom Menace is bad but I went in with the mindset that I'm watching a children's movie. There are still really horrible things (mainly Jar Jar stepping in poop, a space camel farting in his face, Jake Lloyd's acting), but watching it through the lens of a children's movie, it's not as bad as I remembered. The lightsaber fights are great especially Duel of the Fates and the pod race is pretty cool even if it goes on too long. I still have major issues with it, but I can't say I was bored watching it. I can't say the same for Attack of the Clones. I'm halfway through and it's a **** slog. Pacing is a mess, acting is awful, the love story is awful, the action is muddy and pointless. I still have a ways to go, but this is likely the bottom of the list.
I don't know if there is a good order to watch the series anymore, but chronological is certainly not it. PT makes a mess of the big moments in the OT, RO leads directly into ANH, but are you fully invested in RO if you don't know what's to come in ANH, OT to PT to ST interferes with the connection from OT to ST, etc.

Also, I might have mentioned it before in this thread, but a friend of ours is a commercial director and used Lloyd in one of his commercials (I believe it was a Smucker's commercial). Said he remains the best child actor he has ever worked with and he was super excited to see this talented child go from commercial to the biggest movie stage possible. Couldn't believe the **** he saw on screen. Places all blame on Lucas for being a terrible director, which makes sense since pretty much everyone in the PT seems awful at their craft.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:18 pm

If you watch any BTS stuff featuring Lucas, he comes off as afraid of talking to people. Apparently at either Mark Hammil's or Carrie Fisher's screen test, Brian DePalma was also reading actors (Carrie?), and he was the only one of the two that spoke. So one of the three leads for SW didn't even speak to the director during their audition. And if you watch the prequels, I mean look at the performances he got from McGregor, Neeson, Portman.... these are each outstanding actors, and they appeared completely wooden.

Regarding watch order, if you must, I'm a believer in the story arc that is created by watching it IV, V, I, II, III, VI, VII, VIII, IX

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:23 pm

I am intrigued and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:41 pm

If you watch any BTS stuff featuring Lucas, he comes off as afraid of talking to people. Apparently at either Mark Hammil's or Carrie Fisher's screen test, Brian DePalma was also reading actors (Carrie?), and he was the only one of the two that spoke. So one of the three leads for SW didn't even speak to the director during their audition. And if you watch the prequels, I mean look at the performances he got from McGregor, Neeson, Portman.... these are each outstanding actors, and they appeared completely wooden.

Regarding watch order, if you must, I'm a believer in the story arc that is created by watching it IV, V, I, II, III, VI, VII, VIII, IX
That would probably be the best order, but then where do you put the best movie (RO)? Or do you keep RO as an excellent one-off while keeping the focus on the Skywalker nonology?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:57 pm

Standalone.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:26 am

The Red Letter Media guys liked Mandalorian.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:20 am

The Standalorian.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:22 am

I mean, what's not to love about it. We even get a live action IG unit. IG-88 was brutal in Shadows of the Empire.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:40 am

Source of the post Regarding watch order, if you must, I'm a believer in the story arc that is created by watching it IV, V, I, II, III, VI, VII, VIII, IX
Believe me, I'm well aware that watching in chronological order is not the best way to do it. It's the one way I've NEVER watched it, though, so that's why I thought it'd be interesting. I've done release order, I've done machete order (which is what I think you're saying you prefer). This is more of an experiment than anything else. I wanted to re-watch the series and wanted to do it in a new way. I'm also watching the Disney+ versions, so this is the first time I've ever seen the CGI Yoda in Menace and it'll be the first time I've watched the special editions since 2006 when I got the Limited Edition DVDs.

I finished Sith last night. That opening shot and battle is really good. The Anakin/Obi Wan lightsaber duel is really good. The rest ranges from bad to so incredibly bad. Episode III benefits from comparing it to the rest of the prequels. It's certainly the best of that bunch, but it's still laughable in places. Solo is next.