Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:03 am

What else you gonna watch is where I'm at. It's enjoyable. All the bad things everyone has said are bad but I don't care about star wars enough to care.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:51 pm

The problem is the problems were largely avoidable.
That said, I am eager to see how Quinlan Vos saved Grogu from Order 66.

:pop:

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:18 am

Caught up on obi wan. There is something off here and I can't pinpoint it. It feels sloppy?
obi lands on new planet, talks to someone, walks across street, next scene he's in a disguise and outside the door rescuing Leia. Everything feels like painting by numbers here. Vader scene was cool, but I feel like there is very little emotional connection in this series. Vader puts out fire with the force and then it goes up in flames again and he stares through it like what can I do now?There's a problem and then it's solved. I don't really care about anyone? Is it the editing? Is it the director? Feels like I'm watching a first draft

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:25 am

Just reread a lot of thoughts and I see I'm not the only one. Good. Definitely feels like we are getting the first draft of this show. I'm not sure what Deborah Chow has done before this, but I think she directed all 3 episodes so far. Again, I don't know if it's her or not, but something is definitely off

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:29 am

I think they have a lot of problems with letting directors and showrunners tell the story they want to tell, with Lucasfilm execs overruling in the editing suite or elsewhere. How many recent projects have had issues like this?

I'll reserve judgment until the sixth episode, but it's been a middling show to this point.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:50 am

Yeah. It comes down to poor writing, poor directing, and poor acting (not Ewan). Another thing I noticed on a rewatch is the world literally feels small. I'm talking about the actual locations and sets. The Volume is a great tool but it should not be the ONLY tool. I'm watching Stranger Things as well and that show feels so open and huge. The locations are actual locations that the actors can interact with and be photographed in and because of that there is a depth that just isn't present on OWK. When you shoot entire shows on an LED screen, it has the same effect of shooting entirely on green screens.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:25 am

Yes, good point nocera, definitely see some bad results from the led screen in certain scenes

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:17 pm

I think they have a lot of problems with letting directors and showrunners tell the story they want to tell, with Lucasfilm execs overruling in the editing suite or elsewhere. How many recent projects have had issues like this?

I'll reserve judgment until the sixth episode, but it's been a middling show to this point.
This is pretty much where I'm at. Chow is not a bad storyteller (even in this universe she directed two Se1 eps of Mando), and the framework of the story they're trying to tell is interesting to me, but it feels meddled with. Like it's the airline/rental/TV edit or something.

Some of the stuff comes off as unintentionally funny, and that's not a good place to be in.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:19 pm

This is pretty much where I'm at. Chow is not a bad storyteller (even in this universe she directed two Se1 eps of Mando), and the framework of the story they're trying to tell is interesting to me, but it feels meddled with. Like it's the airline/rental/TV edit or something.

Some of the stuff comes off as unintentionally funny, and that's not a good place to be in.
Yes. All of this

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:20 pm

Chow may not be a bad storyteller but she has no idea how to shoot action.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:34 pm

I suggest you take another look at her two Mando episodes. The problems (which I think we both agree on) are unique to this series.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:38 pm

I suggest you take another look at her two Mando episodes. The problems (which I think we both agree on) are unique to this series.
Fair. I haven't seen those episodes since they aired. The Leia chase happened on her watch. Regardless of what she did before, that sequence will define her contribution to Star Wars.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:46 pm

IIRC didn't Disney tell them they needed to re-shoot because it was too dark for their liking?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:05 pm

Was it confirmed that the weird speeder chase scene in Book of Boba Fett was a nod to Back to the Future? Or was that reddit/Twitter speculation that looked spot on?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:08 pm

MR that's the rejiggered aspect we're talking about. I don't know if they had to reshoot anything, but most of the show was rewritten from scratch just a couple weeks ahead of filming which caused a delay.

Honestly, a lot of what's ending up on screen feels like the wrong camera angle was inserted into the edit.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:19 pm

I agree with the camera angle comments, it's almost distracting at times. My daughter said the same thing watching last night

Kane

Postby Kane » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:54 pm

Maybe we are watching it from the perspective of Qui-Gon Jin, as his Force spirit follows Obi Wan around.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:57 pm

Maybe the whole thing is taking place inside of an autistic younglin's snow globe.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:29 pm

Maybe we are watching it from the perspective of Qui-Gon Jin, as his Force spirit follows Obi Wan around.
Like the cam you get when you die in multiplayer and watch your teammates but worse because you see the action is staged from that pov

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:15 pm

You guys are making me not want to watch OWK.

Sounds like a big disappointment, especially after the Book of Boba Fett sucked ass too.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:22 pm

I don't mind it, there's some cool stuff in it and I'm looking forward to more episodes. I just thought it would have been better executed based on who the show is about

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:40 pm

It was easy for me to essentially write off BOBF: At no point in my life did I ever give a single hot s**t about Boba Fett, and any stylistic failings could be pinned on Robert Rodriguez. While I'm excited for what I think is in store for the back half of this season of OWK (as far as universe building goes), I'm genuinely kinda bummed with the show so far.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:19 pm

OWK Se1 Ep 4

The best so far imo, but still a smattering of outright wtf moments.

From what I've been reading about the show, there is a real mixed bag of reception. I've held off really watching too much extra stuff up to now (with a couple exceptions), and outlets I trust are sort of all over the place. While I think Ep 4 is by some measure the best so far, some reviewers are like "this was a real let down compared to what came earlier". I don't know what to make of it.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:02 pm

Maybe the problem is that too many SW fans are like her*.

*dumb and clueless

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:16 pm

Yea that line doesn’t suggest that at all.