Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat May 26, 2018 8:26 am

Before A New Hope.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat May 26, 2018 8:27 am

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat May 26, 2018 8:29 am

Before A New Hope.
You're killing me. More narrowed down. Clone wars cartoon?

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat May 26, 2018 8:31 am

10 years before rebels?

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat May 26, 2018 8:35 am

Solo was awesome. Had a real sweet oh sht! moment at the end. Donald Glover was excellent as to be expected but really nailed the voice of Lando.
MAUL!
Didn't think for a second he'd show up.
It makes sense but damn that was sweet
went for my son's birthday and that is his favorite character, so that was extra cool. I haven't watched clone wars, so I don't know the story going on with maul at this time, but I want more

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat May 26, 2018 9:23 am

Solo was awesome. Had a real sweet oh sht! moment at the end. Donald Glover was excellent as to be expected but really nailed the voice of Lando.
MAUL!
Didn't think for a second he'd show up.
It makes sense but damn that was sweet
went for my son's birthday and that is his favorite character, so that was extra cool. I haven't watched clone wars, so I don't know the story going on with maul at this time, but I want more
That's awesome for your boy. I bet his face lit up. Maul is in the clone wars animated series a bit but my understanding is he's also in the rebels which I haven't seen yet

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun May 27, 2018 5:25 pm

Wow. Pretty poor box office performance for Solo both domestically and internationally. Domestically it missed low end projections by about $30 million. Release was too close to The Last Jedi, Infinity War, and Deadpool 2. Make this a December release and it automatically does better.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 28, 2018 3:49 pm

Sitting through the credits now. Loved it. So fun.
Han shot first woooooooooooo

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 28, 2018 4:19 pm

10 years before rebels?
Based on actor ages, I'd say more like concurrent with the first couple seasons of Rebels. So like 8-5 years BBY.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Wow. Pretty poor box office performance for Solo both domestically and internationally. Domestically it missed low end projections by about $30 million. Release was too close to The Last Jedi, Infinity War, and Deadpool 2. Make this a December release and it automatically does better.
When they started having creative issues they should've moved it to Christmas. Star Wars owns the holiday season now, which is kind of ironic.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:34 pm

10 years before rebels?
Based on actor ages, I'd say more like concurrent with the first couple seasons of Rebels. So like 8-5 years BBY.
I just checked Wookieepedia, and they cite the timeframe as 13-10 BBY.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:57 pm

Okay, I've gathered some thoughts.

I got exactly what I wanted/expected from the movie, plus a couple neat surprises.
Han meeting Chewie for the first time was well played and executed. Having Han speak Wookiee was something of a risk, but I thought they pulled it off.

It is now official that the standalone movies have to include a great droid character who has to die. But I did enjoy how L3 became part of the ship at the end.

Speaking of character deaths, I was immensely surprised that Qi'ra survived the movie. Han, Chewie, Lando.... you knew they weren't facing direct stakes, but I really thought Qi'ra dying would be what hardens Han's heart and makes him a scoundrel. But they played it a different way, and I like their way better. Because Han's character arc is already known, he doesn't have to have that precursor journey. He was always going to come back for Luke, because that's fundamentally who he always was. (Altho it does sorta deprive the character of an arc in Ep IV now.) And, as discussed a bit below, it opens up a much more interesting way for Qi'ra and Han to fall apart.

It's kinda neat that Han inadvertently helped fund the early days of the Rebellion. Even if it means consecutive movies where scarcity of fuel is a main plot device.

Action Chewie is the best Chewie.

The chick from Horizon Zero Dawn was a neat cameo. And I believe this is the first SW movie Warrick Davis appears in without makeup and has dialog in his own voice, so that's fun, too.

And speaking of cameos...... what the hell! That was completely out of left field, and changes Qi'ra completely and makes her a hugely compelling and interesting character that, I daresay, has a future in the SW universe. What she was doing reporting to a fallen Sith apprentice is a nutso direction to take this movie and gives it a heft of its own beyond being Han's origin story. (And I've just read that pretty much from the earliest days of formally writing the Solo project, Jon Kasdan was insistent on Maul's inclusion.)

They don't really explain who the slave Wookiees are on Kessel, but it appeared Chewie knew at least the one, right?

The movie traded a bit too heavily on fan service, imo, but not egregiously so: Chewie rips a guy's arms out of their sockets, har har; Lando beats Chewie at Dejarik using the same move Artoo beats him with, har har; The Imperial military recruiting depot plays the Imperial March for the commercial, har har. Han shoots first, har har (okay, that one was worthy). And did I hear Qi'ra say that she learned/got something from a dragon after she kills Vos? Really? There were a couple times I found myself scanning the periphery of the scenes instead of focusing on the action, because I didn't want to miss a reference.

They did a good job throwing the dummy about the "Everything you've heard about me is true" scene as the Sabacc game where Han wins the Falcon. And they did a great job paying off the 'fair and square' line and the Lando hug from Empire.
Erenreich has apparently already been locked down for two other Solo movies. That's a good thing.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 28, 2018 7:23 pm

Seems like everyone who has seen the movie has loved it but the box office has been so bad that I would be extremely surprised if Erenreich is ever asked to play Han again.

Wonder how much of the box office is TLJ backlash.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:49 pm

I think switching from December was a mistake.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 28, 2018 11:47 pm

LFL had no way of knowing there'd be more Bad Take Freddies than perfectly reasonable people buying tickets to TLJ, so I think this is a combination of backlash, and maybe don't release these movies six months apart.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 28, 2018 11:55 pm

Seems like everyone who has seen the movie has loved it but the box office has been so bad that I would be extremely surprised if Erenreich is ever asked to play Han again.
Erenreich was great; at no point watching this movie did I think I was looking at anyone other than Han Solo.

And he's under contract for two more movies. If I were him, I wouldn't have agreed to a multi-film deal without a penalty clause where not using him for a future Solo film that goes into production within, say, seven years would cost LFL a tidy eight-figure sum.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon May 28, 2018 11:56 pm

I loved Solo.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:02 am

I was beginning to question your humanity. But we're good here. We're all fine.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 29, 2018 7:28 am

I got exactly what I wanted/expected from the movie, plus a couple neat surprises.
Han meeting Chewie for the first time was well played and executed. Having Han speak Wookiee was something of a risk, but I thought they pulled it off.

It is now official that the standalone movies have to include a great droid character who has to die. But I did enjoy how L3 became part of the ship at the end.

Speaking of character deaths, I was immensely surprised that Qi'ra survived the movie. Han, Chewie, Lando.... you knew they weren't facing direct stakes, but I really thought Qi'ra dying would be what hardens Han's heart and makes him a scoundrel. But they played it a different way, and I like their way better. Because Han's character arc is already known, he doesn't have to have that precursor journey. He was always going to come back for Luke, because that's fundamentally who he always was. (Altho it does sorta deprive the character of an arc in Ep IV now.) And, as discussed a bit below, it opens up a much more interesting way for Qi'ra and Han to fall apart.

It's kinda neat that Han inadvertently helped fund the early days of the Rebellion. Even if it means consecutive movies where scarcity of fuel is a main plot device.

The chick from Horizon Zero Dawn was a neat cameo. And I believe this is the first SW movie Warrick Davis appears in without makeup and has dialog in his own voice, so that's fun, too.

And speaking of cameos...... what the hell! That was completely out of left field, and changes Qi'ra completely and makes her a hugely compelling and interesting character that, I daresay, has a future in the SW universe. What she was doing reporting to a fallen Sith apprentice is a nutso direction to take this movie and gives it a heft of its own beyond being Han's origin story. (And I've just read that pretty much from the earliest days of formally writing the Solo project, Jon Kasdan was insistent on Maul's inclusion.)

They don't really explain who the slave Wookiees are on Kessel, but it appeared Chewie knew at least the one, right?

The movie traded a bit too heavily on fan service, imo, but not egregiously so: Chewie rips a guy's arms out of their sockets, har har; Lando beats Chewie at Dejarik using the same move Artoo beats him with, har har; The Imperial military recruiting depot plays the Imperial March for the commercial, har har. Han shoots first, har har (okay, that one was worthy). And did I hear Qi'ra say that she learned/got something from a dragon after she kills Vos? Really? There were a couple times I found myself scanning the periphery of the scenes instead of focusing on the action, because I didn't want to miss a reference.

They did a good job throwing the dummy about the "Everything you've heard about me is true" scene as the Sabacc game where Han wins the Falcon. And they did a great job paying off the 'fair and square' line and the Lando hug from Empire.
Erenreich has apparently already been locked down for two other Solo movies. That's a good thing.
You left out a few things
Lando says "I hate you" to Han, and he says "I know".

Han saying he has a thermal detonator at the beginning.

Might be a stretch but Beckett wearing the same guard clothing as Lando in RotJ.

Also it was Beckett that beat Chewie not Lando but that is picking nits.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue May 29, 2018 8:44 am

Some guy in the theater let out a loud audible groan when
Han got the last name "SOLO".
I took great pleasure in his displeasure. Well done person in the theater.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 29, 2018 8:47 am

Some guy in the theater let out a loud audible groan when
Han got the last name "SOLO".
I took great pleasure in his displeasure. Well done person in the theater.
F that guy. I liked that part a bit since I hadn't previously thought about how it came to be.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue May 29, 2018 9:39 am

Do you think the lower box office ratings are due to an overload of Star Wars as well? I mean prior to Disney acquiring the rights, you had 3 movies in 6 years, a 16 year break, another 3 movies in 6 years, and then like a 10 year break, and now 4 movies in like 2 years with more coming in the near future.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 29, 2018 9:40 am

Absolutely. Also, I'm surprised that people aren't tired of all things Marvel by now.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue May 29, 2018 9:45 am

Absolutely. Also, I'm surprised that people aren't tired of all things Marvel by now.
I am. I haven't seen a new Marvel movie in like 7 years, mainly because of the overload. I'm probably missing out on good movies, but just needed to step away.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:58 am

You left out a few things
Lando says "I hate you" to Han, and he says "I know".

Han saying he has a thermal detonator at the beginning.

Might be a stretch but Beckett wearing the same guard clothing as Lando in RotJ.

Also it was Beckett that beat Chewie not Lando but that is picking nits.
Was it Beckett? My bad, but in my head I totally see Lando talking about looking two moves ahead. Then again, for like ten years I though I witnessed a Tyler Wright hat trick, sooooo maybe we don't go with my memory so much.