Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:22 am

Yeah, I'm 99% sure it's the digital file. Thanks for checking.
I checked the Canto Bight scene on my movies anywhere app and the digital copy looked OK there. It was dark, but they were not blobs. If you haven't signed up for that app, I believe you get 5 free movies for signing up and it will link across all platforms where you have bought digital copies so you may have better luck watching through that?

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:26 am

Need to spick that up tonight. Fantastic movie.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:27 am

After watching TLJ at home again, I don't know how they could have made the fate of Luke any better, especially with how things were put in motion with Force Awakens. What did people want him to do? Fight Snoke or Kylo and die at the hands of them? That would have been so boring considering we've already seen Han go that way and how can you improve on that Snoke throne scene? I'd also argue that Kylo and Rey are so good together that it may be the best thing going in the entire saga.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:29 am

I think most (myself included, a little bit) wanted legends Luke that was an all powerful badass. In the old EU stuff, he was the most powerful force user ever.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:42 am

I get that, especially after going the entire force awakens movie only to see him for seconds standing there, but you kind do get the most powerful force Luke ever in TLJ. Would he come back and fight alongside Rey and just carry on? How would you handle that arc over ep 8 and 9?

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:47 am

Oh, I agree with that now. That force projection was incredible, and I came around quickly after watching it. It was the right move, to let the new protagonists to take over.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:50 am

I read somewhere that Luke had cut himself off from the force as opposed to using it. The main point was when he asked, "where's Han?". Had he had the connection to the force he would have known Han died. I think the right move was to have him become one with the force since the whole theme of the movies has been let the past die, kill it if you must.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:07 am

The Force projection thing was the single most powerful use of the Force that has ever been shown. It was as badass as badass gets in Star Wars.

And if they didn't go the way they did with Luke...... what's his story? We left him at the end of ROTJ having become a Jedi Master, and then he disappeared for 20 years before his cameo at the end of TFA..... for what reason? So he could do awesome Force stuff in solitary confinement? This was the best direction for the character, and is why the opening crawl of TFA starts with "Luke Skywalker had vanished". This gives him an arc, that includes his journey from the OT, and makes all the sense in the world. He is now a combination of Obi-wan and Yoda in IV & V, which is why the tree scene worked so we'll, imo.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:15 am

Put another way, Rian Johnson explained it as the characters all face the worst possible scenario for them. Luke is a failed Jedi; Rey's parents are nobodies; Poe gets demoted for doing what he does best; Finn is just a coward; Leia doesn't inspire; Kylo is not the next Vader; etc. I think it's all perfectly judged, and makes complete sense.

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:00 am

I am not sure if it was brought up, but did you notice that when Luke projected himself he looked different than he actually is. Self image and all that...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:01 am

I think we discussed it shortly after the movie came out. I noted that I noticed immediately since his hair was shorter and brown.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:07 am

And he had Anakin's lightsaber, which even Kylo knew was destroyed.

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:07 am

Another "I'm not sure if it was discussed before" but, purely ship related...

Physics nerd issue: In space the engines would provide acceleration, not a speed. If the thrust is on then you are accelerating, not maintaining a speed. The rebel ships should either have been pulling away at a faster rate or being overtaken.

Poor writing issues:

Why didn't the rebel ships go off in different directions?

It is also odd that all of the First Order ships were going the same speed. Was the Supremacy going slower than max so that the Star Destroyers could keep up, or were the Star Destroyers going slower than max so that the Supremacy could keep up?

The bombers that ran at the Dreadnought... Who would design a bomber that was so painfully slow as to be sitting ducks every time that they are used? Who would deploy those super slow bombers in a grouping that is so tight that if one blows, THEY ALL BLOW? Then they grouped too close again in the speeder run.

Potentially more than all of the other movies combined, this film shows how poor tactics are the reason that the Resistance can't get a hand up.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:05 am

I am not sure if it was brought up, but did you notice that when Luke projected himself he looked different than he actually is. Self image and all that...
It had nothing to do with Luke's personal vanity. That's how he looked when Ben destroyed his temple 20+ years prior, which is the last time everyone involved actually saw him. It was how they all remembered him, and would more easily appeal to their individual emotional cores.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:17 am

Why didn't the rebel ships go off in different directions?
Because the strategy was to cover off on the evacuation to the nearest abandoned base, Crait. They kinda all had to row in that direction.
It is also odd that all of the First Order ships were going the same speed. Was the Supremacy going slower than max so that the Star Destroyers could keep up, or were the Star Destroyers going slower than max so that the Supremacy could keep up?
My other responses here are sort of informed from watching the BTS stuff on this and other movies, but here I'm going on my own take. I think there's probably a certain sub-light speed that's kind of a galactic constant, or close to it. So when the First Order officer answers Hux's question of "What's the point of all this?" with "They're smaller and faster", I think it just means they can accelerate to that sub-light speed limit quicker. So they can pull out a gap, and then the following ships can't close that down.

But it is noted that your gripe in a movie saga with sound in space is that smaller ships are faster than bigger ships. :P
The bombers that ran at the Dreadnought... Who would design a bomber that was so painfully slow as to be sitting ducks every time that they are used? Who would deploy those super slow bombers in a grouping that is so tight that if one blows, THEY ALL BLOW? Then they grouped too close again in the speeder run.
Have you ever seen a bomber in real life? Generally not the speediest of aircraft. And they're also playing on the audience notion of the WWII strategic bomber formation; look that up and you'll see there's nothing unusual about the bombing run in TLJ...... aside from the use of gravity bombs in space. ;)

Seriously, hit YouTube and look at B-17 or B-24 runs. It seems almost idiotic at first glance how slow and close they are, but you soon realize that proximity is a by-product of the relative slow speed. It allows them to cover each other against fighter attacks more effectively. It also provides maximum impact when the ordinance is dropped. Imo, it's no different than Lucas cutting together gun camera footage from WWII to give the FX guys visual direction on Ep IV. It's the thing the audience is most likely to find understandable.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:10 pm

Rewatching Last Jedi right now.

Take out the scenes with Hux/Poe, Luke toss, and milk monster and Luke's comment about Jakku and improve the 1st 45 minutes 100%.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:42 pm

This is a bad movie.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:04 pm

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:23 pm

This is a bad movie.
Worst post in the history of this board. And that’s including everything Ned has posted.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:23 pm

Freddy's all time favorite star wars related scene is the fathiers running in Canto Bight.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:30 pm

You mean the big legged camels?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:31 pm

This is a bad movie.
Worst post in the history of this board. And that’s including everything Ned has posted.
I said Kevin Stallings was a good hire and that the Pens were dumb for firing Mike Johnston so it is more like my third worst post.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:03 am

https://youtu.be/jPEYpryMp2s

Lando and chewie movie is going to be a blast

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:12 am

yessss

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:35 am

That looks great. 190 years old? You look great!