Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:44 am

Going back to the initial press materials and released footage,
when I saw talk about a big reveal/twist at the end of the first episode I thought it was going to be about Dr Pershing.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:08 pm

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:55 pm

Mando episode
Seeing some stuff about the yodeling being 50, same age as Anakin (balance) and how it may lead to the emporer looking to inhabit his body so he can live long? Seems pretty out there? I like that these are being released one week at a time and they smartly added in a mystery for all the water cooler talking between episodes. What say ye on yodel?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:05 pm

Having just watched that fairly epic takedown of butthurt SW fanbois by Freddie Prinze Jr, I can say that I find that theory to be sort of poppycock.

(Speaking of: The only thing I disagreed with in FPJ's rantgasm is the notion that Luke is/was not a 'gray' Jedi. He ultimately turned to the light, but showed he had the urge to succumb to the Dark Side when pushed, not once but twice, and the second time solidified his apprentice's turn to the Dark. To me, that's what makes him - as a character - such a great hero, and I call that 'gray'. That might not be the canonical Pablo Hidalgo term for it, but it works for me. Otherwise, FPJ was on point.)

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Thought the first episode was awesome, though the music came dangerously close to being too much.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:39 am

I watched the first episode and enjoyed it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:51 am

Source of the post fairly epic takedown of butthurt SW fanbois by Freddie Prinze Jr
What's this now?
Source of the post though the music came dangerously close to being too much.
Disagree. The music was one of the best parts and perfectly fit the tone. It wouldn't have been as good if it were the typical orchestral Star Wars music.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:51 am

Mando episode
Seeing some stuff about the yodeling being 50, same age as Anakin (balance) and how it may lead to the emporer looking to inhabit his body so he can live long? Seems pretty out there? I like that these are being released one week at a time and they smartly added in a mystery for all the water cooler talking between episodes. What say ye on yodel?
My remarks about FPJ notwithstanding, I wanted to take a look at this again.
Mando is set in 9 ABY, or at least the first chapter is; by this point in time, Ben Solo had already been born, and Rey was another few years away from popping out. FPJ noted that the Force always seeks balance.... e.g. Sidious knew he could not kill Anakin, else the Force would create his equal on the light, so he seduced him to the Dark Side. But he did not foresee that this doubling up on the Dark Side's power would be balanced by the twins of Luke and Leia. (Even though the latter was not aware of her Force sensitivity until she was a 25-year old metal bikini-wearing/pirate loving/commando raid-leading badass) So Vader is dispatched, but Luke is still running around doing his thing, and we know from the Ep IX trailers that Uncle Sheev is apparently still around doing his thing; but he has only reemerged with the demise of Snoke. So I do not think those facts are unconnected. In other words, I think the yodeling is more likely to have something to do with things happening in the sequel trilogy than anything self-contained in the four walls of the show; it is probably not a coincidence that the penultimate episode of Se1 of Mando airs on Ep IX's release date.

FPJ notes that skill does not determine the outcome of a battle between Dark and Light, only the Force does. And if you understand that, you already know how the Kylo Rey battle will shake out. I do not know what he means by this and sense he was doing a bit of smoke blowing, but okay. One other thing we know is that this is the end of the Saga, and Daisy Ridley (*swoon*) is not interested in doing more Star Wars, so if you take that at face value that means there has to be some sort of finality to the story from her perspective.

Basically I have no idea what I'm talking about here and just wanted an excuse to hop on Wookiepedia this morning.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:03 pm

Source of the post fairly epic takedown of butthurt SW fanbois by Freddie Prinze Jr
What's this now?
Lots of exuberant cursing here, so very NSFW if you are minus headphones/earbuds.

Disagree. The music was one of the best parts and perfectly fit the tone. It wouldn't have been as good if it were the typical orchestral Star Wars music.

I actually agree with both of you here. The music was an absolute highlight; it sounded like what Ennio Morricone would've written for The Good, The Bad & The Ugly if he had a Roland Jupiter available to him instead of an ocarina to make the coyote hoot noise. But it was very much skirting the line of being too on the nose.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:20 pm

Mando episode
Mando is set in 9 ABY, or at least the first chapter is; by this point in time, Ben Solo had already been born, and Rey was another few years away from popping out. FPJ noted that the Force always seeks balance.... e.g. Sidious knew he could not kill Anakin, else the Force would create his equal on the light, so he seduced him to the Dark Side. But he did not foresee that this doubling up on the Dark Side's power would be balanced by the twins of Luke and Leia. (Even though the latter was not aware of her Force sensitivity until she was a 25-year old metal bikini-wearing/pirate loving/commando raid-leading badass) So Vader is dispatched, but Luke is still running around doing his thing, and we know from the Ep IX trailers that Uncle Sheev is apparently still around doing his thing; but he has only reemerged with the demise of Snoke. So I do not think those facts are unconnected. In other words, I think the yodeling is more likely to have something to do with things happening in the sequel trilogy than anything self-contained in the four walls of the show; it is probably not a coincidence that the penultimate episode of Se1 of Mando airs on Ep IX's release date.

FPJ notes that skill does not determine the outcome of a battle between Dark and Light, only the Force does. And if you understand that, you already know how the Kylo Rey battle will shake out. I do not know what he means by this and sense he was doing a bit of smoke blowing, but okay. One other thing we know is that this is the end of the Saga, and Daisy Ridley (*swoon*) is not interested in doing more Star Wars, so if you take that at face value that means there has to be some sort of finality to the story from her perspective.

Basically I have no idea what I'm talking about here and just wanted an excuse to hop on Wookiepedia this morning.
good stuff. What are your thoughts on Pershing and the clone army project patch?

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Source of the post I actually agree with both of you here. The music was an absolute highlight; it sounded like what Ennio Morricone would've written for The Good, The Bad & The Ugly if he had a Roland Jupiter available to him instead of an ocarina to make the coyote hoot noise. But it was very much skirting the line of being too on the nose.
I saw the Ludwig Goransson name during the credits and thought it sounded familiar, but couldn't place it. Later that night I was watching Community and saw it pop up again for the work on there. Looked it up and was surprised to see he did Creed and Black Panther as well as a lot of stuff for Childish Gambino which explains the Community connection. I could see being a little on the nose, during I think it was the Blurg scene, it sounded note for note with The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. Still enjoyed everything about that first episode.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:11 pm

The Chapter 1 score is on Spotify, btw.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:18 pm

What's this now?
Don't get me wrong, I loved the music. I just don't need it CONSTANTLY. Let's hear some ambiance. The wind whipping down that frozen ass planet or the remote near silence of wherever the green middle aged baby was hiding.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:36 pm

Mando episode

good stuff. What are your thoughts on Pershing and the clone army project patch?
The other day I mentioned that when word of a twist/reveal came out, based on the early released footage, I thought it would involve the character we now know as Dr Pershing. That can still come to pass, but what I meant by that was in a Verbal Kint/Keyser Soze sort of way. Maybe not that he's the Big Bad in the show, but I think it would be lame if he was just a bumblefck.

It's worth remembering that the source DNA for the clone army was a Kiwi Mandalolrian, and we now have a Kiwi in The Mandalorian. So if they're going to re-tread that ground, it would make sense in the context of this series.
What say you, @eddysnake?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:15 am

So the Mando episodes are going to be well under an hour? Ep 2 is 32 minutes (haven't watched it yet). Gift horse in the mouth and all that, but I would've thought they would be in the hour long range.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:18 am

So the Mando episodes are going to be well under an hour? Ep 2 is 32 minutes (haven't watched it yet). Gift horse in the mouth and all that, but I would've thought they would be in the hour long range.
Finally something about the show I don't like. Wonder why they went that route? 1st was 38 minutes I think. At least it will make things easier for when I keep rewatching leading up to the new episode.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:19 am

That's disappointing. I wasn't thrilled with the length of the first episode and somehow this one is shorter?

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:20 am

Eh I'd rather it be a tight 30-40 minutes than a drawn out 60 minutes. Longer doesn't equal better.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:22 am

I'd rather it be longer than an episode of This Is Us.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:25 am

This is Us is not a good example of a show where its long runtime is a good thing.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:34 am

Yeah, network shows have too many episodes (22-23) and **** gets drawn out. This is Us is a perfect example of that. I peaced out early in the Vietnam flashback season. Really liked the first season.

Yeah, I think 40-50 minutes would be good. But probably not feasible budget wise maybe? If there are a lot of sfx battles coming up that is. But no need to bloat them like GoT's last few seasons.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:52 am

Gun Jesus has spoken:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:01 pm

Forgotten Weapons is a great channel, if you're into that sort of thing. (Which I am.)

An season of Mando will be roughly 240 minutes of storytelling, plus or minus. That's roughly like 2-3 feature films worth of SW. I'm good with that.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:52 am

Mando Ep2....... yup, fired up, ready to go. Good stuff.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:43 am

Had to watch it twice because it was hard to hear over "i can't stand it, he's so cute " during the entire episode. Can't believe we are getting this story. So good